Homophobia incident next week - overstated?

2»

Comments

• lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously, I don't yet know for certain what happens regarding this. But here's my gamble...

Howard proposes the idea of rebranding Margate to mimic Brighton. Mona points out that Margate has traditionally been a family resort and questions whether people would feel comfortable taking their children on short holidays to somewhere that is known to have a vibrant gay scene.

Yeah, some people could construe that as homophobia, but if what Mona says is along those lines, then she's talking sound business sense anyways. Why chase a new market that might well alienate the existing one?

Oh I'm sure that was exactly the context in which she made her remarks. And there's nothing wrong at all with that scenario - just good business sense in the context of creating a successful advertising campaign, one that makes good sense and is likely to meet with the approval of local people/businessess.

The only wrong note as far as I'm concerned is this remark she's alleged to have made about not wanting her child to come into contact with a gay man..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Oh I'm sure that was exactly the context in which she made her remarks. And there's nothing wrong at all with that scenario - just good business sense in the context of creating a successful advertising campaign, one that makes good sense and is likely to meet with the approval of local people/businessess.

The only wrong note as far as I'm concerned is this remark she's alleged to have made about not wanting her child to come into contact with a gay man..

If that is the context, it does make sense from both a business, and an entertainment pov.

Firstly because what entertains adults is not really suitable for, or desired by children (sex - of any description - drugs (well alcohol for me) and rock and roll).

Secondly, and rather selfishly, if I'm away on my own, I don't want my children coming with me on one of my boozy, more adult, weekends, and I don't really want other peoples' children spoiling my fun either. Those weekends are for me to escape the confines of family life, thanks very much.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All i have to say is...

She shouldnt have said it, was a stupid thing to do. However, she is entitled to her own opinions, no matter how skewed they may be.

People can complain and debate all they want it wont change the way she feels. I dont see why ppl care what she thinks and she can think what she likes but she shouldnt go around being so insensitive and broadcasting those thoughts to the nation

I haven't read anybody suggesting that:

(a) Mona isn't entitled to her beliefs.

or

(b) That she is expected to change how she feels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    Obviously, I don't yet know for certain what happens regarding this. But here's my gamble...

Howard proposes the idea of rebranding Margate to mimic Brighton. Mona points out that Margate has traditionally been a family resort and questions whether people would feel comfortable taking their children on short holidays to somewhere that is known to have a vibrant gay scene.

Yeah, some people could construe that as homophobia, but if what Mona says is along those lines, then she's talking sound business sense anyways. Why chase a new market that might well alienate the existing one?

Brighton manages to be both a family resort and a gay spot.

My parents took me to Brighton as a kid, on bank holidays etc. And they're the biggest homophobes this side of Mecca.

I doubt it would affect Margate's family reputation.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member

You aint been to Margate then! the only Market it's got there is immigration hostels, crack dens and the ashen remains of a scenic railway.
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    I haven't read anybody suggesting that:

(a) Mona isn't entitled to her beliefs.

or

(b) That she is expected to change how she feels.

Well, that rather depends what you means by 'entitled to her beliefs'!

If that means entitled to her beliefs provided she doesn't dare let anyone find out about them then perhaps you're right.

Hmmm, doesn't that remind you of another group whose members were alright so long as nobody found out about them.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    Well, that rather depends what you means by 'entitled to her beliefs'!

If that means entitled to her beliefs provided she doesn't dare let anyone find out about them then perhaps you're right.

Hmmm, doesn't that remind you of another group whose members were alright so long as nobody found out about them.

Yes, several.

Catholics between 1535 and 1680

Catholics in the Protestant parts of Belfast (during the Troubles)

Protestants in the Catholic parts of Belfast (during the Troubles)

Jews, in occupied countries, in World War II.

People of Japanese descent living in America during World War II.

Racists 1980ish onwards

Homosexuals until 1990ish (possibly beyond)

Homophobics 2000ish onwards

Members of the Armed forces during the (questionable) invasion of Iraq.

Anyone who disagrees with a bigot's point of view - ongoing.

(Disclaimer: Some timings are guestimated. The above options do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the poster)