Vampire Diaries S6 - US Pace Discussion

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    Good episode again. Seems to be on a run of form at the moment and they seem to have actually planned things out and not winging it which I'm sure happened last year.
    One thing though, If Kai took the knife back in 94 how can they have found it in 2014? Now I get that it's supposed to be another reality or something which is why there is nobody else there but I can't help feel that it is blurring the lines a little when you have a bear from 94 popping up in 2014 (a bear which shouldn't exist technically if you're going on the basis of 94 not being real which is why Kai can drain the knife in 94 and Stefan can find it in 2014) I mean this whole travelling to and from 94 has the potential to turn into something right outta a Steven Moffat episode of Dr Who.

Bit confused about the knife myself, but maybe it's a case of the pocket universe being a slice of 1994 (was it 94 or 96? because the ages of the twins threw me a bit as to the age of Jo) and everything in that moment was replicated, right down to the knife?

Anyway, I agree with you about them seeming to make it up as they went last season, something I felt was even more correct when I saw some of the cut scenes. In some cases it looks like they changed their minds on the direction of the story at the last minute (notably Katherine/Matt/Nadia) and maybe that was one reason why it was a hot mess.

If this plot had been done last season then Bonnie and Damon would have been back in episode 2, Kai would have been freed and his plot wrapped up so we could blast onto the next mystery-man big bad. I'm liking the slow burn.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1994 is groundhog day so the knife will always be there every morning as everything else. What confuses me is the ascendant thing. Kai had it and Bonnie used it to get Damon back. Now Kai seems to not need it.
    I must have missed how he had it in the beginning. Jo now has one which they need to get Bonnie back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1994 is groundhog day so the knife will always be there every morning as everything else. What confuses me is the ascendant thing. Kai had it and Bonnie used it to get Damon back. Now Kai seems to not need it.
    I must have missed how he had it in the beginning. Jo now has one which they need to get Bonnie back.

No, he does need it, he just doesn't need Bonnie because he has her blood on the knife and the magic from the knife to activate it.

Saying that, though, I think this is one of those moments in the plot we're going to have to just accept and ignore plot holes:blush::D
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Well, I think I can see where they're going to go with this...

A twin needs to die, so that another can lead, right? What are the chances then, that Jo simply kills Kai? Problem solved; she gets to lead her coven, and neither Luke nor Liv need to die. Failing that, Tyler is blatantly going to kill Luke (or try to) in order to save Liv.
    Do they have new writers or has Julie Plec turned her Eye of Sauron toward the Originals?
    If she has turned her focus, she best not destroy the Originals like she seemingly did TVD (pre season 5 anyway).
    One thing though, If Kai took the knife back in 94 how can they have found it in 2014?.
    The Knife that Kai has is one within a fixed time; he's in a state of limbo, whereas the Knife that Rick (and co) found was the same knife, but of the real world. It's highly likely both posses the same power, and that Jo will get her power back from the present one.
    What confuses me is the ascendant thing. Kai had it and Bonnie used it to get Damon back. Now Kai seems to not need it.
    I must have missed how he had it in the beginning.
    Kai has the Ascendant again; Bonnie put it back together.
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if Kai has an ascendant and so does jo, is jo's ascendant the same one as Kai's ascendant but his is the slightly younger version that was split off and locked away in 94? If so, that seems like a pretty major oversight by daddy Gemini, locking his son away WITH the key to his escape and the means to regain magic powers. Also, why lock him away but give him free reign of the entire world? You'd think he would be confined to mystic falls or something and when he passes the border he just Appears at the border the opposite end (like PACman) but nope, he can travel the globe and hunt for clues and has all of eternity to do it for. I think pondering this plot point too long could cause a vampire aneurism nosebleed to start lol
    Forum Member
    So if Kai has an ascendant and so does jo, is jo's ascendant the same one as Kai's ascendant but his is the slightly younger version that was split off and locked away in 94?
    Pretty much, yeah. Though Jo doesn't have an Ascendant, her Dad does.
    If so, that seems like a pretty major oversight by daddy Gemini, locking his son away WITH the key to his escape and the means to regain magic powers.
    Well, he locked him away in a world where everything that was, now is. The Ascendant was there at the time, and thus would be there in the trap world. He didn't lock him away with the means of escape though - cause the blood of a Bennett Witch was/is needed - and I doubt their Dad ever considered that a Bennett Witch would ever end up there - which begs the question why Bonnie's Gran would send her (to save her) to a place with a psychopath.
    Also, why lock him away but give him free reign of the entire world?
    Maybe there was no other alternative?
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Pretty much, yeah. Though Jo doesn't have an Ascendant, her Dad does.

Well, he locked him away in a world where everything that was, now is. The Ascendant was there at the time, and thus would be there in the trap world. He didn't lock him away with the means of escape though - cause the blood of a Bennett Witch was/is needed - and I doubt their Dad ever considered that a Bennett Witch would ever end up there - which begs the question why Bonnie's Gran would send her (to save her) to a place with a psychopath.

Maybe there was no other alternative?

Just watched again and Jo definitely has the ascendant. His dad is sur h will get out bcause of Bonnie and just tried to kill Jo to stop hem merging. Being unable to keep magic there seems to be a high likelihood Kai would be the weakest twin.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Fair dues to the show, couldn't stand Bonnie not long back but she's one of my favorite characters in the show right now which I never thought I'd be saying after wanting her to be killed off for so long.

Sadly the same can't be said for Tyler, still going into every episode with the hope that they'll finally kill him off, can't see it happening though sadly.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    JMTD wrote: »
    Fair dues to the show, couldn't stand Bonnie not long back but she's one of my favorite characters in the show right now which I never thought I'd be saying after wanting her to be killed off for so long.

Sadly the same can't be said for Tyler, still going into every episode with the hope that they'll finally kill him off, can't see it happening though sadly.

you could be me that's exactly how I feel. Couldn't care a less if they killed Elena the show may even be better for it. Enzo is a great addition to the cast, I love having Alaric back wish he was still an original vamp tho
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Crikey, I agree. Her character's evolved far more being stuck away from the others in just a few episodes than it ever did in the past five seasons. I felt legitimately upset for her last night and I have pretty much wanted Bonnie gone from the show since season 3.:o
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Felt bad for bonnie, so close yet so far, hated Tyler grr
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    I really dont care for Liv... i would be quite happy if she and tyler died
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    Well the writers are trying to do away with Delena so the new couple will be Bamon.
    I personally would like Elena and Kai to hook up. I would like the show to do story lines other than wlll she wont they coupling. Personally would like a prequel show to vampires diaries of the story behind the cast becoming vampires and how they dealt with their life being human. Yes we have flash backs but actually evolving stories of the characters.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I really wanted bonnie to tell Elena to F off and put Damon back on the phone, nothing like wasting your phone call
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully we get bonnie back by the mid finale. That's 3 times now I think she's had a chance to escape and hasn't. Will get boring if t continues all season and she's obviously going to kill Kai or give her powers to jo so she'll need to escape eventually:kitty:
  • TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elena is unbearable, it's all about her. Wish they kill her off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Bon Bon:( Nice to see the barrier down, so I guess no one else is getting Alaric'd back into human any time soon.

Since when can't Vamp blood cure anything? More to the point, just make her a Vamp, or won't that work either? Because the one thing this show does not need is to lose another of the more mature cast members.

Really liking the less frenetic, more grown up burn between Damon and Elena, in fact the whole show feels less teen angsty this season.
    Forum Member
    Since when can't Vamp blood cure anything? More to the point, just make her a Vamp, or won't that work either? Because the one thing this show does not need is to lose another of the more mature cast members.
    Yeah, I didn't buy that either. It's obviously a way of the writers killing off a character, and needing a get-out clause.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Elena is unbearable, it's all about her. Wish they kill her off.

Never been a massive fan of hers but she's certainly gone downhill even more to a stage where for me she's probably at the bottom out of all the female characters on the show (tied close with Liv simply because they've pushed her into a love story with Tyler, who is hands down the most annoying character on the show). Be interesting to see if the writers can draw more interest in her eventually, they managed to do it with Bonnie for me so we'll see. Not a chance they'll kill her off obviously apart from when the show comes to an end (and even then I doubt it happening).

Decent enough episode although Kai sucking up all of the magic from the travelers spell is worrying if we never actually see the travelers again. It'd be another case of having a good chunk of a season focused on a main storyline, only for it to quickly be forgotten and things to just go back to normal out of the blue before moving on to the next villain.

Strangely repeating my exact thoughts from the last few episodes, the biggest thing I'm interested in is Bonnie's return and where they're going to go with it if she does make it back. I'd actually quite like to see them draw on a potential Bonnie/Damon thing but I think they'll end up going against it in the end and not risking it.
    Forum Member
    Strangely repeating my exact thoughts from the last few episodes, the biggest thing I'm interested in is Bonnie's return and where they're going to go with it if she does make it back. I'd actually quite like to see them draw on a potential Bonnie/Damon thing but I think they'll end up going against it in the end and not risking it.
    I don't think they'll take this route. Damon and Elena are seemingly still very much involved, as Jeremy and Bonnie likely will be. I think they'll just become good friends.

Lots of romances blossoming though - which is taking us back to that teenage vibe; you've got the two mentioned above, plus Matt and the Doctor (damn, forgotten her name), then Liv and Tyler (which seems to be lacking - we're all in agreement here). Looks like they're really considering Stefan & Caroline again - unless they're just going to take the friend route with them? Who knows.

It's just Matt and Enzo left who are single.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I don't think they'll take this route. Damon and Elena are seemingly still very much involved, as Jeremy and Bonnie likely will be. I think they'll just become good friends.

It's just Matt and Enzo left who are single.

I'd like to think Damon and Bonnie will be on more of a wavelength to stopping Kai, seeing as they both know what he's capable of. Both of them pairing up to gung-ho him like a tag team:D

As for Matt and Enzo being single, hey, now they have each other:blush::D Luke's still around, though and I like him much more than Liv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    So how can we make caroline forgive stefan, oh yeah lets give her mother cancer, that will get them back together again... so contrived

I hope kai is using elena to get to Damon and doesnt have a thing for her. That would be terrible

Matt, Jeremy and enzo zzzzzz boring. Get over your jealousy enzo, no one cares.

Bonnie and Kai really are the only people keeping me watching this (& i do love tvd) but this is so boring.
    I really dont think the gemini coven are interesting and they dont have enough strong characters (apart from Kai)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked daddy Gemini. He should be back and if he is around should help with the cast. Trouble is he will probably come back and be killed in less than 40 minutes. TVD seem to have a problem keeping characters around. Someone on the writing team is a sociopath.

Thought it was a bit of a easy way out getting kai to suck up a spell. So does that mean if he can suck up a spell, he could undo healing spells, remove the magic from a vampire and kill them by touch (walking mystic falls barrier)? potential for opening a massive can of worms with what he can and can't do. They had the same issue on Heroes with Peter Petrelli. He sucked on peoples powers and eventually got too powerful and they had to write his power away because it was a case of he could do anything to save the day. Well Kai could touch anything and kill anything or do anything. He isn't just absorbing small amounts of magic anymore. He is absorbing spells, mega powerful, casting massive spells like weather control.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,184
    Forum Member
    In the last episode in the flashback eps wasn't there a mess up cos I'm sure Elena said she was going to talk to her parents about Bonnie staying but then Stefan was part of the friends group. I thought they met when she was at her parents grave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nats18 wrote: »
    In the last episode in the flashback eps wasn't there a mess up cos I'm sure Elena said she was going to talk to her parents about Bonnie staying but then Stefan was part of the friends group. I thought they met when she was at her parents grave

Oh yeah, you're right. :o