Philosophical stuff!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes!

Recently ive started to get quite interested in philosophy, particularly metaphysics and epistemology, ive tried looking on the internet to read around but theres a load of stuff on there thats confusing and i'd prefer to actually read a book or something.

So do any of you lovely ds forum members know of any books I can read, that are not too difficult to understand for like a beginner?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (I think). Good intro to ideas and their originators.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (I think). Good intro to ideas and their originators.

Ooh thanks for that I'll have a look into it :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this book before my As philosophy course last year, and it gives you a basic introduction into it all. I found it was really good just for a read when your interested, but not filled with detail or anything, so maybe its the right book for you if you just have an interest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Survey of Metaphysics.

One of the best introductions to Metaphysics and is on the Oxford PPE reading list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read this book before my As philosophy course last year, and it gives you a basic introduction into it all. I found it was really good just for a read when your interested, but not filled with detail or anything, so maybe its the right book for you if you just have an interest.
    A Survey of Metaphysics.

One of the best introductions to Metaphysics and is on the Oxford PPE reading list.

Thank you both for those suggestions.

I think I'll pop into my local waterstones and have a good long look there. I know amazon lets you look inside a few pages of the book but its not the same.