Options

Radio Wales FM in the north.

882657882657 Posts: 533
Forum Member
✭✭
Now that Real radio has started broadcasting on FM in the north it shows up Radio Wales in a very poor light. Outside the Gwynedd Coast and Wrexham it has no FM coverage in the north. It relies on AM which works well enough but is going out of fashion.
The lack of FM coverage of north and mid Wales of Radio Wales is a disgrace. The overpaid management types at Radio Wales are asleep on the job.Like at S4C they should be sacked and got rid of. Vision? They have no vision.

Comments

• Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    I wish they could switch it to Llangollen, I get the signals from there perfectly, but 95.4mhz dies pretty quicky when i head up the valley past Llan
  • Options
    old pilotold pilot Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    882657 wrote: »
    Now that Real radio has started broadcasting on FM in the north it shows up Radio Wales in a very poor light. Outside the Gwynedd Coast and Wrexham it has no FM coverage in the north. It relies on AM which works well enough but is going out of fashion.
    The lack of FM coverage of north and mid Wales of Radio Wales is a disgrace. The overpaid management types at Radio Wales are asleep on the job.Like at S4C they should be sacked and got rid of. Vision? They have no vision.

The problem is that Radio Cymru got all the old FM frequencies when Radio 4 Wales evolved in to BBC Radio Wales which got 882Khz from Washford and Penmon and 657 from the Bersham transmitter.We are talking late 1970's .
    On top of that there has never been a commitment from the station to truly serve the whole of the country north of Merthyr.

I doubt that the content from Cardiff would ever entice enough listeners to make it worthwhile. BBC Radio Scotland
    managed to use both Glasgow and Edinburgh but a similar model was not used in Wales.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems there is a debate if funds should go into DAB for North and Mid Wales coverage which includes BBC Radio Wales.
    http://www.muxco.com/multiplexes/northeastwales/
    The Digital Economy Bill 2010 allows multiplexes to merge. We have applied to Ofcom for our North East Wales & West Cheshire and North Wales multiplexes to be merged to provide continuous coverage across North and Mid Wales and Cheshire.

We have yet to receive approval for this request, but we are pressing ahead to launch the combined multiplex, with its enlarged coverage area, in early 2011.
  • Options
    TVCymruTVCymru Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    ive been conferemd by MuxCo, that whenever the new multiplex will be launched

BBC Radio Wales
    BBC Radio Cymru
    (Compolsary)

and Real Radio Wales

will be on the multiplex
  • Options
    max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can just about get Real Radio on 88.00fm on the more sensitive portable radio in central Manchester but its very weak.