"Normal Weekday programmes in the Holidays"

fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why do the BBC and ITV nowadays continue with normal weekday fodder Jeremy Kyle, This Morning, Homes UNder the Hammer, bargain Hunt etc in the holidays?

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Holidays ???.. I am still working ( Just supping coffee at the moment BTW)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of schools have broken up already with many others midweek, many people are off already and the Radio Times christmas schedule started last Saturday.

I'm sure those at home now won't be too keen on Jeremy Kyle, This Morning, Homes Under the Hammer, Bargain Hunt et al.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Lots of schools have broken up already with many others midweek, many people are off already and the Radio Times christmas schedule started last Saturday.

I'm sure those at home now won't be too keen on Jeremy Kyle, This Morning, Homes Under the Hammer, Bargain Hunt et al.

they get a average of 5M viewers per episode
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I suppose it might e due to the main channels all having children's channels nowadays. Traditionally during the holidays programming was altered to include children's shows during daytime, but this is no longer relevant.

A similar thing happens in Spain now. With most channels having children's channels too, "normal" programming is kept on air even on holidays. Some of the magazine shows will go on air during holidays except Christmas and then these are substituted by multiple movies which normally air back to back.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I got my Christmas break from university last Friday after I finished exams and don't go back til January 10th, but I must admit I'm not really that keen on any of those shows. In fact I prefer to be on the internet or out finishing my shopping.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Channel Four have taken Countdown off for the duration but they can still manage to show that **** :p Deal or No Deal. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my Christmas break from university last Friday after I finished exams and don't go back til January 10th, but I must admit I'm not really that keen on any of those shows. In fact I prefer to be on the internet or out finishing my shopping.
    See, even with your brand new telly, you'd rather be doing something else than watching the standard daytime fayre! :eek:
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Channel Four have taken Countdown off for the duration but they can still manage to show that **** :p Deal or No Deal. :mad:
    i wouldn't rate it as highly as four stars myself, but each to their own! ;)
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    Why do the BBC and ITV nowadays continue with normal weekday fodder Jeremy Kyle, This Morning, Homes UNder the Hammer, bargain Hunt etc in the holidays?

Well perhaps people off work might want to watch as they can't normally?

Channels have a budget it's always been the same usual tv, few Christmas movies and a comedy. That's xmas tv. :rolleyes:

Hardly worth schedule changes when there's so many digital channels these days anyway.
    Forum Member
    See, even with your brand new telly, you'd rather be doing something else than watching the standard daytime fayre! :eek:

Yep :D I usually watch news or music channels if I do happen to watch TV during the day.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep :D I usually watch news or music channels if I do happen to watch TV during the day.

The markets are still open so get back to CNBC. :D
  • Ivor FannyIvor Fanny Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mon Dec 20 1999

BBC 1

6.00 Breakfast News
    9.00 CBBC: Goosebumps; 9.25 Snorks; 9.50 Peter Pan & The Pirates; 10.05 Tweenies
    10.30 Time Warrior
    11.55 Cartoon
    12.00 The Magicians House
    12.30pm Barking Mad
    1.00 News
    1.30 Regional News
    1.45 Neighbours
    2.10 Columbo
    3.30 CBBC
    5.35 Neighbours

ITV

6.00 GMTV
    9.25 CITV
    10.30 News
    10.35 FILM :Champions
    12.20 Regional News
    12.30 ITV News
    1.30 Jerry Springer
    2.10 Home and Away
    2.40 Take Your Pick
    3.10 News; Regional News
    3.20 CITV
    5.05 Home and Away
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    fugitive wrote: »

For those that like them, have you checked the rest of the EPG for this and next week?
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a little variation at least in the BBC1 afternoon

Doctors is off and they've got the seriously poorly dated Allo Allo on then a repeat of the Young Ones show that no-one watched before Father of the Bride

Alas, Jessica Fletcher has survived on BBC2

It would take a nuclear holocaust for the Beeb to omit Murder She Wrote
  • mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand where the OP is coming from and I can remember when the period from the Monday before Xmas through Jan 1st would see different scheduling but viewing habits and proramme availability has changed out of all recognition.

Whereas BBC 1 would run Scooby-Doo or the excellent WDUSOYTSAGADSLBI or even a film at 10.am there is now such a plethora of channels all these options can be found elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

Either that or BBC2 to follow BBC1 and go HD!
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member

i wouldn't rate it as highly as four stars myself, but each to their own! ;)

Deal or No Deal - it's not four star, it's ****. :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Deal or No Deal - it's not four star, it's ****. :D:D:D

Doesn't even deserve one star :p
  • mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know for many Noel Edmonds is a Marmite presenter but I think he is one of the finest broadcasters of his generation. Even my late father, who hated Radio 1, used to love his breakfast show in the 70s.

In case anybody doesn't know, he was called "Noel" because he was born on December 22nd (he's 62 on Wednesday), and every year he treats himself to a birthday/Xmas gift of some lovely Smoked Salmon, and as the assistant was wrapping it up for him, he asked Noel:

"just one question.....dill or no dill?" :D:D

I'll get me coat.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

I think Jessica would survive even that.

Can't believe the Beep's copies of the episodes haven't worn out yet from so many repeated showings. :eek:

Anyway, Christmas telly as a whole is absolutely dire this year. It's usually pretty terrible but something seems even worst this time around. Thank God for DVDs!
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Anyway, Christmas telly as a whole is absolutely dire this year. It's usually pretty terrible but something seems even worst this time around. Thank God for DVDs!

I know, I have them all ready as well in case I need them. I know I will. Then of course there's the internet and Youtube :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, I have them all ready as well in case I need them. I know I will. Then of course there's the internet and Youtube :D

I think you're not much younger than me - remember when you used to get cartoons and old sitcoms and good classic films on the main channels? So much better then.

Sky has ruined telly. Quantity and quality and all that. :(
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still a normal working week until Thursday.
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I think you're not much younger than me - remember when you used to get cartoons and old sitcoms and good classic films on the main channels? So much better then.(

Was that in the 90s?
  • Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God I hate these Americanisms,"in the holidays" "on the weekend".:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    God I hate these Americanisms,"in the holidays" "on the weekend".:rolleyes:

"on the weekend" sounds terrible, I usually just say "at the weekend". "In the holidays" is one I actually use :o I suppose it could refer to the fact that the majority of people often have holidays from work/school/university at this time of year.