Curved screen phone.

13»

Comments

• Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    I've said read any of your posts they are all crazy funny I gave you a place to start get cracking.

So:

is not dismissing their application in mobile phones, this is getting surreal now, you need to explain sounds like it to me :eek:

being unbreakable, as much as anything can be, is down to the materials used yes, they will not be glass.

It would be more helpful if you could quote a few, because it does seem like you are twisting them to become something they are not. Like your nonsense about Apple saving the publishing industry.

I said that I couldn't think of practical applications for curved glass in a mobile device, except maybe wearable devices which could wrap around the wrist.

To then argue that they would be unbreakable is completely moving the goalposts. Because now you are talking about the materials the screen is made of, not the fact that they are curved.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    They might be curved as well who knows hence my point that this is a new level of tech in which the possibilities are vast and it is not known what the intention is just yet.

Therefore only the very foolish or blinkered would dismiss this out of hand as pointless without fully understanding it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is that the benefit is in the materials used, not the fact that the screen is curved.

Can you think of any practical uses of a curved screen in a small mobile device or not?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    What the hell are you wanging on about now? "Its what the law sees"? :confused:

This isn't a court of law, and I didn't think I was on trial. Making a comment of a statement of fact, i.e. the publishers saw it as a way around what they saw as an issue with Amazon, certainly isn't me condoning their actions, or in any way disputing that those actions were illegal.

Pleading ignorance is a common tack when the arguments have dried up. You've not understood my post at all (or refuse to) going by your defensive response.

Your statements were not neutral, you may not appear to be condoning Apple's actions, but you have certainly suggested that Amazon was just as underhanded, which is not true and is where the issue stood in the first place.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for Gods sake Calico... please just go away and stop your incessant baiting. It's ruining so many threads.

Can we please get back on topic and do away with all this pathetic nonsence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The point is that the benefit is in the materials used, not the fact that the screen is curved.

Can you think of any practical uses of a curved screen in a small mobile device or not?

As you have been told on several occasions the structure and curvature of the screen makes it far stronger. Of all things that break in a phone surely even the most bias and blinkered of fanboys would consider that a pretty big positive would they not :confused:

As to what the exact intention is we shall see but only a luddite who can only understand what he is told can surely see the importance of making screens stronger...Yes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The curved/bending screen is a fantastic idea. I could see it being used in restaurants for menus, in hospitals, in clothing, as a watch, as a portable display screen....the possibilities are numerous. Samsung is at least trying to fuel innovation, not hinder it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Pleading ignorance is a common tack when the arguments have dried up. You've not understood my post at all (or refuse to) going by your defensive response.

Your statements were not neutral, you may not appear to be condoning Apple's actions, but you have certainly suggested that Amazon was just as underhanded, which is not true and is where the issue stood in the first place.

I understood your post perfectly.

There is a massive difference between appreciating the motives behind something and condoning the resulting actions.

I did not suggest that Amazon did anything wrong. I simply said that the publishers were not happy with what they were doing.

There is a massive difference between one party being unhappy about what someone else is doing, and those things being underhanded or illegal.

Those are the parts that you are not understanding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you have been told on several occasions the structure and curvature of the screen makes it far stronger. Of all things that break in a phone surely even the most bias and blinkered of fanboys would consider that a pretty big positive would they not :confused:

As to what the exact intention is we shall see but only a luddite who can only understand what he is told can surely see the importance of making screens stronger...Yes?

What is this fanboy crap even about?

Am I a fanboy of flat screens now? :rolleyes:

If screens can be more durable by curving their edges, then yes - of course that would be a benefit.

But this is predominantly about the screens being curved, rather than just adding a curve at the edge to improve structural integrity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understood your post perfectly.

There is a massive difference between appreciating the motives behind something and condoning the resulting actions.

I did not suggest that Amazon did anything wrong. I simply said that the publishers were not happy with what they were doing.

There is a massive difference between one party being unhappy about what someone else is doing, and those things being underhanded or illegal.

Those are the parts that you are not understanding.

There we go again. "Appreciating the motives". I'm not sure if you are aware of the definitions of the words you are using, but it is clear that you have a skewed view of the case and quite frankly I just can't be bothered to explain it, I did so previously, but unfortunately, I don't think the premise of it was actually taken on board. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If screens can be more durable by curving their edges, then yes - of course that would be a benefit.

But this is predominantly about the screens being curved, rather than just adding a curve at the edge to improve structural integrity.

No its not is about Samsung producing a curved screen phone no knowledge of what the possible end result exists or has been mentioned in the original story by the BBC from the OP. Therefore what you have made of it or assumed is down to your own personal and obvious bias.

So it seems you do dismiss things without any understanding at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    There we go again. "Appreciating the motives". I'm not sure if you are aware of the definitions of the words you are using, but it is clear that you have a skewed view of the case and quite frankly I just can't be bothered to explain it, I did so previously, but unfortunately, I don't think the premise of it was actually taken on board. :)

I'm perfectly aware of the definitions of the words I'm using.

Knowing why someone does something is not the same as condoning what they did.

If a woman is abused by her husband, and she kills him, we can be pretty sure what the motive was, without condoning her actions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No its not is about Samsung producing a curved screen phone no knowledge of what the possible end result exists or has been mentioned in the original story by the BBC from the OP. Therefore what you have made of it or assumed is down to your own personal and obvious bias.

So it seems you do dismiss things without any understanding at all.

What bias? My anti curved screen bias? Whether a screen is curved or not has nothing to do with Samsung or Apple.

If a phone could be curved at the edges to increase its structural integrity, then yes, that's a benefit.

If the actual screen of the phone was curved, I can't see much benefit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In either instance the screen is classed as curved not sure why you have drawn some ludicrous distinction between the two.

So to clarify you now don't dismiss them as having no use in mobile phones and retract your silly dismissal earlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The distinction between a device having curved edges to improve its structural integrity, and the screen itself being curved certainly isn't ludicrous. The benefit is in the shape of the device, not in the device having a curved screen.

Nor was it a "silly dismissal". I specifically gave a wearable device like a watch as a practical application, because the screen could curve around the wrist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you like then ...except you have and still have no idea which curved screen the article was referring to when you made the sweeping dismissal.

So either way you cut it shows your ignorance for and disdain anything non apple ... which you eulogise about :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't need to read an article to have an opinion.

I still have no idea why you think this has anything to do with Apple.

It doesn't.

It's not about disdain of anything not to do with Apple.

I really don't think there is much practical benefit in a phone with a curved screen.

You still haven't come with any yourself by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you don't read the article posted by the OP yet dismiss it out of hand for having no use while at the same time do not have the foggiest idea what samsung are even proposing.

now thats what I call top notch contributions CP you excel yourself yet again :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you don't read the article posted by the OP yet dismiss it out of hand for having no use while at the same time do not have the foggiest idea what samsung are even proposing.

now thats what I call top notch contributions CP you excel yourself yet again :rolleyes:

I'll try to keep this simple.

I did read the article.

As far as I can tell Samsung are proposing handheld devices with curved screens.

I can't think of any practical benefit in a handheld device with a curved screen.

That was my opinion before reading the article.

The article provided no Information to change that.

I'll ask again - can you think of useful practical applications of a handheld device with a curved screen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Oh for Gods sake Calico... please just go away and stop your incessant baiting. It's ruining so many threads.

Can we please get back on topic and do away with all this pathetic nonsence?

I gave an opinion near the start of the thread about how I couldn't think of any practical benefits of a curved screen.

And got a whole load of the usual BS from other posters trying to make it about Apple.

How exactly does that make me guilty of baiting?