Shutter Island - new Scorcese film trailer

1235»

Comments

• QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it for a second time last year. It's a good film. Patricia Clarkson is one of my favourite actresses.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fowl Fax wrote: »
    Saw this for the first time yesterday, predicted the 'twist' pretty early on. Thought it was an okay film, nothing too spectacular.
    Soon as Dicaprio put on the white clothes I knew it was going to turn out that he was a patient.
    Except the white clothes are the staff (orderly) clothes, the patients wear blue
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice during the interrogation scene a female patient asks for a glass of water, there's a quick cut of her taking a drink but she's not holding a glass but miming it? It then cuts to her putting the glass down.

Also as another poster said there seemed to be a few continuity errors between shots but i also wonder if this was on purpose.

I saw this when it first came out and rewatching it puzzled me a bit, I'm sure the end explanation scene with Leo,Ben and Mark had a few flashbacks showing the tell tale occurrences that backed up the doctors story. the one that sticks in my mind is the scene where they have to hand over their guns and Ruffalos character does it rather clumsily proving that he's not a real agent? Or maybe that's just my brain filling in the blanks!
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    Did anyone notice during the interrogation scene a female patient asks for a glass of water, there's a quick cut of her taking a drink but she's not holding a glass but miming it? It then cuts to her putting the glass down.
    I think that brief scene is meant to be symbolic of the fact that Leo's character has an aversion to water due to his wife drowning their children. His mind has blocked out the water.

Another example of his dislike of water is the sea sickness he feels when they "arrive" at the island.

Great film ... one of my favourites.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be one of the only ones who thinks he got corrupted and wasn't a patient there.

Check out this guy he's a top lad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQ7J9J0UIM

He basically spotted holes in both arguments, that he was a patient there and also he got corrupted, but he comes to the conclusion he got corrupted.

It is 50/50 and I think the director purposely made it that way, this movie will be talked about in 50 years time, and when you compare it to Avatar (for example) which was a blockbuster hit at the time, nobody hardly talks about it now. This is what makes a great movie, longevity.

If you love this movie try Gothika, another mind puzzle of a movie.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like they are making a prequel to this into a TV series, sounds good.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Overblown, ham-fisted rubbish from a director way past his prime.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Not a bad film and a rather nice Hitchcock homage. Unfortunately I guessed the big plot twist in the opening cigarette scene on the boat. Still enjoyed the movie though. It is well made and interesting as a one off viewing.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I must be one of the only ones who thinks he got corrupted and wasn't a patient there.

Check out this guy he's a top lad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQ7J9J0UIM

He basically spotted holes in both arguments, that he was a patient there and also he got corrupted, but he comes to the conclusion he got corrupted.

It is 50/50 and I think the director purposely made it that way, this movie will be talked about in 50 years time, and when you compare it to Avatar (for example) which was a blockbuster hit at the time, nobody hardly talks about it now. This is what makes a great movie, longevity.

If you love this movie try Gothika, another mind puzzle of a movie.

The Aviator was amazing in my view and WAY better than this headache-inducing drivel which makes the viewer go mad. I don't even have the patience to "analyse it". What exactly is the great depth of it?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overblown, ham-fisted rubbish from a director way past his prime.

As any film school Nerd will tell you this is a remake of the 1920s silent Classic the Cabinet of Dr Caligari. And THAT film did this whole plot more justice.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »

Definitely felt the music was too loud and emotional when he was arriving at the gate. I don't like being told what to think and feel so unsubtly.

Yeah, the music was so ridiculously intrusive it was like watching a modern day Dr Who episode!

I didn't know the twist so I quite enjoyed the film, but I don't know if I could be bothered watching it again now that I know what happens.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    As any film school Nerd will tell you this is a remake of the 1920s silent Classic the Cabinet of Dr Caligari. And THAT film did this whole plot more justice.
    The parallels are certainly there and the book is probably to blame. Shutter Island is a pretty faithful take on Dennis Lehane's novel, which I'd read some years ealier and found the twist rather obvious there as well.
    Not a bad film and a rather nice Hitchcock homage. Unfortunately I guessed the big plot twist in the opening cigarette scene on the boat. Still enjoyed the movie though. It is well made and interesting as a one off viewing.
    Scorsese's Cape Fear was supposedly a Hitchcock homage, and that was garbage too. All this does is underline their distinct differences. Hitchcock knew how to seduce and draw you in. Scorsese just pummels to quickly wearying effect.