Options

How did Jason Bateman ever become an actor?

JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
Forum Member
How Jason Bateman ever became an 'actor' is one of lifes great mysteries. He is vacant in everything I've ever seen him in. He plays the same, one expression character in every movie and phones in every scene.

A critique about Batemans 'acting skills' won't make for a particularly enduring thread, so please nominate 'actors' who you wonder how they got to be successful as movie stars.

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Nicolas Cage
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Dyer
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,420
    Forum Member
    I don't think Jason Bateman is that terrible - he has played diverse roles sometimes (Up In The Air, Dodgeball, Juno) and his 'everyman/straight man' thing works very well in Arrested Development.

He does do a lot of bad comedies, though.

For bad acting, I nominate Blake Lively. The perfect example of an actress only successful for her looks.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though I would not particularly rate him as an actor, there are far, far worse actors out there.

And he has done some interesting stuff. I recently enjoyed Bad Words, the spelling bee movie. Typical of those little indie films that he does now and again.

I know he seems to be better know for comedy, but he has done a lot of straight roles in movies like State Of Play, The Kingdom, and also cult quirky stuff like Juno, Up In The Air and Hit and Run.

Besides, I can remember his first major starring role in the truly awful Teen Wolf Too...and the fact that the guy is still working after that is nothing short of a miracle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i seen some of his films..Is Justine his sister cos they were in a film once together ?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i seen some of his films..Is Justine his sister cos they were in a film once together ?

Yes, she is.
  • Options
    simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not why she is his sister though.

Jason's not so bad, he was a kid actor in the eighties, Moving Target is a great film.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    How Jason Bateman ever became an 'actor' is one of lifes great mysteries. He is vacant in everything I've ever seen him in. He plays the same, one expression character in every movie and phones in every scene.

A critique about Batemans 'acting skills' won't make for a particularly enduring thread, so please nominate 'actors' who you wonder how they got to be successful as movie stars.

I quite liked him in 'Paul' and now I come to think about it, he was on the phone a lot :D

My choice would be Tim Roth. He is yet to impress me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I quite liked him in 'Paul' and now I come to think about it, he was on the phone a lot :D

My choice would be Tim Roth. He is yet to impress me.

Regarding Tim Roth, I would first of all ask which of his films you have actually seen..?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding Tim Roth, I would first of all ask which of his films you have actually seen..?

Off the top of my head, Made in Britain, Reservoire dogs, pulp fiction, the hulk, Funny Games, planet of the apes,
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Nicolas Cage

Nic's done some god movies
    Raising Arizona and the The Rock and Con Air and Adaption and Kick-Ass for example
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, Made in Britain, Reservoire dogs, pulp fiction, the hulk, Funny Games, planet of the apes,

I would have given respect to him just for Made In Britain, but I thought he was very good in the Tarantino movies.

After that he seemed to drift a little, nothing really big, the odd role here and there, lots of indie stuff, smaller roles in big movies, the odd dodgy blockbuster (Hulk, Planet Of The Apes, Rob Roy), and he seems to work exclusively in the US these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Nic's done some god movies
    Raising Arizona and the The Rock and Con Air and Adaption and Kick-Ass for example

Absolutely loved him in RA, but if there is one defining performance it would have to be Leaving Las Vegas. And there was a hint of his former glory in the recent Joe.

Sadly, he seems destined to make very poor choices...last one I saw him in was the atrocity that was Left Behind...truly, truly awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have given respect to him just for Made In Britain, but I thought he was very good in the Tarantino movies.

After that he seemed to drift a little, nothing really big, the odd role here and there, lots of indie stuff, smaller roles in big movies, the odd dodgy blockbuster (Hulk, Planet Of The Apes, Rob Roy), and he seems to work exclusively in the US these days.

I must admit that he was good in 'Made in Britain'. I think what I'm surprised about is that he has made it so big in Hollywood movies playing Americans

Some recent actors like 'Aaron Taylor Johnson' and 'Domnhall Gleeson' have really nailed the American accent and are totally believable but I find Tim Roth's American accent to be much like mine (like a John Wayne impersonation) and I'm surprised that he got the parts over American actors.

Maybe one day he'll blow me away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved him in RA, but if there is one defining performance it would have to be Leaving Las Vegas. And there was a hint of his former glory in the recent Joe.

Sadly, he seems destined to make very poor choices...last one I saw him in was the atrocity that was Left Behind...truly, truly awful.

For me it would be ''Moonstruck'. He created a character up until then I had never seen before. Also 'Racing with the Moon' and 'Birdy' during what I call his 'unhinged' days.

I also love him in 'The Croods'. ;)

I know that it's an animated movie but he really gave his character a heart and a soul through his voice.