Options

Tunisia Coverage

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has common sense at last prevailed at Sky News ? No sign of Kay Burley on this terrible tragedy, asking tactless questions and being intrusive. Let's hope it sets a precedent.

Comments

• Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The BBC were getting stick for not covering the story when it broke and leaving the news channel with the awful Victoria Derbyshire instead. The BBC's version of gurner Burley.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CNN International are leading the way with this coverage, they've completely dropped recorded programming and running continuous coverage with their main anchors involved.

BBC News UK is also fairly decent this Saturday (just the back half hour recorded shows letting it down).

Sky News are just concerned about giving out the helpline number every few minutes, and the screen covered in mucky yellow.

Al Jazeera providing good coverage too.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer it if they were very low key, Its like this sort of thing is just feeding the fire. Jihadis love it when the media go all guns blazing on their deeds.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart Ramsey lives in a sky news suitcase he turns up almost any country very quick
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its all a bit low key surprisingly.

Imagine the difference if this had happened in the UK....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    I'd prefer it if they were very low key, Its like this sort of thing is just feeding the fire. Jihadis love it when the media go all guns blazing on their deeds.

Some truth to what you say, but many family and friends of the people out there want the coverage. I think the media issue is the over the top stuff that often goes on.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you have continuous coverage of an event which has already happened and is not ongoing?
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you have continuous coverage of an event which has already happened and is not ongoing?
    The aftermath is classed as ongoing. The victims havent yet been identified so that is ongoing.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Stuart Ramsey lives in a sky news suitcase he turns up almost any country very quick
    Dont mention suitcases in the same breath with sky news after the malaysian airliner incident of july 17th 2014
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure you keep this thread low key folks. There may be forum members out there who are in limbo about whether they have lost family members.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was wondering what there is to cover continuously except repeating the same clips of films after the incident and the same interviews with people. Like many news stories there is very little new, a number for British casualties was given early and will perhaps be updated later tonight. Hard to see what can be covered continuously.

Same with someone criticising the BBC for sticking with the Darbyshire programme but from what I remember there was very little known at that point. I think initially the French attack appeared to be the bigger story.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC were getting stick for not covering the story when it broke and leaving the news channel with the awful Victoria Derbyshire instead. .

The news broke at 12:41 yesterday, 1 hour and 41 mins after Derbyshire's show had finished
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    The news broke at 12:41 yesterday, 1 hour and 41 mins after Derbyshire's show had finished

It was the story coming from France that they ignored.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Make sure you keep this thread low key folks. There may be forum members out there who are in limbo about whether they have lost family members.

I'm sure the last thing on their mind at this moment is what is happening on this thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »

Yes you're right sorry, I was commenting on the complaints the BBC had over the 'coverage' of the events I'm not sure when the Mosque was attacked either, people seemed to be complaining that BBC news should have gone to it's own coverage rather than leave Derbyshire on air on the news channel.