Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    the exception of Danny who appears to Bi now after being Gay at first

:D:D:D Of course he was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is unrealistic, 80 percent of Hollyoaks gay? Are you high? When do you ever go into an area and have 80 percent of the population being gay? Even Brighton isn't that gay!

Hollyoaks isn't that big so that sort of figure is considering the size. Brighton is much bigger.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact there are no gays, no lesbians and one bi guy in an East End Square in 2013 is very, very unrealistic..

very true.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    It's a student district in a suburb of Chester. I think the number of gay characters is more representative of real life than say EastEnders for example. (not that Hollyoaks aims for gritty realism but at one time EastEnders used to. I think those days are sadly over)
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The East End of 2013 has a big LGBT demographic - I don't understand why this is not been reflected in EE...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is unrealistic, 80 percent of Hollyoaks gay? Are you high? When do you ever go into an area and have 80 percent of the population being gay? Even Brighton isn't that gay!

Straight Characters-
    Tony, Cindy, Jack, Darren, Frankie, Tom, Holly, Nancy, Mercedes, Carmel, Nana, Theresa, Sinead, Finn, Diane, Ruby, Dodger, Dirk, Dennis, Maxine, Patrick, Sienna, Phoebe, Jim, Robbie, Freddie, Jason, Joe, Ziggy, Sandy, Lindsey, Sam, Fraser, Peri, Tegan, Leela, Grace and Trevor

Bi Characters-
    Danny

Gay Characters-
    Ste, John Paul, Esther, Tilly, George and Vincent

So to the nearest whole number (I know it doesn't add up to 100)

Straight = 84%
    Bi = 2%
    Gay = 13%

Which means 3/20 characters are LGBT

So hardly 80% are gay :D
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders is one street in the whole of the East End, so not unrealistic.

But, let's face it, none of the soaps are heading for realism, they include characters and other aspects purely because of story ideas they have or an EP's motivations for the direction of the show.

None of them have a genuine attempt at reflecting the area they are set in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it could be 'too gay'.

There'll never be more gay characters than straight or more gay relationships than straight, but it's really the relatability and complexity of the characters and the relationships that matter, regardless of the sexuality of it.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me who sees a strange irony (perhaps, hypocrisy) in the fact that some people are pointing out how it's unrealistic to have no gay characters on Eastenders currently, whilst simultaneously defending the fact that 16% (I'm not going to include Tom and Peri, like one of the posters above) of the main characters of Hollyoaks are LGBT, which it's fair to say is an optimistic representation of society?

Bear in mind that Hollyoaks currently has ONE Asian character (2.3% of the main characters), when about 8% of the population are Asian.

And ONE black character (2.3% of the main characters) who may be leaving soon (the storyline suggests so. Correct me if I'm wrong), despite about 4% of the population being black.

So let's not pretend that gay characters aren't over-represented. It's a simple fact.

However, over-representing one demographic or another should not be an issue. Drama is drama, regardless of the skin colour, sexuality, gender etc. of the characters. Soaps aren't meant to strictly reflect society. It's not a documentary.

But I do think it's a shame that LGBT characters seem to be consistently over-represented in Hollyoaks recently (presumably because the producers have found gay characters/relationships to be well received by the target audience), whereas it was all the way back in 2010 that there was more than one black main character and back in 2009 that there was more than one Asian main character.

I think in light of how under-represented other demographics are it is a bit rich for people to pretend that LGBT characters aren't quite blatantly over-represented.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    hetty100 wrote: »
    Whats too gay??:confused:
    Does it really matter how many gay characters there are, Why don't you focus on the storylines and characters OP???

Cause' this is obviously a wind-up.
  • Options
    worrierprincessworrierprincess Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    As a viewer who has started watching again after several years I have to admit I was a little surprised at the number of gay male characters, the five mentioned and then of course Doug and Brendan who departed earlier this year. There's also apparently a lesbian character who doesn't seem to get much screen time. I don't think it's "too gay" because that would imply there is something wrong with gay characters existing and being at the forefront of the show when it's refreshing to see soaps that don't just have the one token gay character. My only qualms would be how realistic it is but Hollyoaks generally doesn't seem to care too much about realism (the text messages on the screen really annoy me, they never used to do that when I watched it several years ago!), that's not a criticism of the show as it is actually really good at the moment just less concerned than the other soaps about being true to real life.

What I do find quite unrealistic (and disturbing!) though is that Ste nearly had sex with his dad. :(
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think people get mixed up with unrealistic and implausible, between something being completely impossible and being highly unlikely but still possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do agree though with the idea that show capitalizes on the appeal of gay relationships. I'm sure for the most part that's how the show's ended up with so many gay characters at one time, and most of them aren't much more than their sexuality.

All that's ended up really happening and what it's all been reduced to, is rushed storylines with bland pointless characters that have no chemistry. Everything's plotdriven, and any two gay characters might be made a couple with no regard for compatibility or attraction or sense. People are quick to assume a character could be secretly gay or could randomly switch teams entirely because that's how the show's conditioned them. That's not anything that should ever just be expected, even on a soap.

But even the straight relationships aren't anything worth investing in these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrWoodySir wrote: »
    This.

Who cares about peoples sexual orientation?

The viewers, because it is unrealistic, just as it would be unrealistic for none of the soaps to have a gay character — which people would then say is homophobic... :sleep:
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Not unless you think gay is a negative.

Maybe some of the plots have been contrived, but I think once you introduce gay characters you can either reduce them to token roles or you can naturally expand their world to include partners, lovers and friends.

Tilly was brought in to help Esther explore her sexuality. Vincent to provide drama between best friends Phoebe and George. The decision to make Danny bisexual at least provided some shock value to his arrival and has been John Paul's first love interest since he returned.

IMO this sums up the criticism.
    Completely unrealistic, there's not that many openly gay characters in one area, everytime I turn HO on I see men snogging on the screen, so I turn it off again.

How can you possibly know this :confused: It may be the case in an area you are familiar with but you cannot know about every single area.

I'm baffled as to why realism is such a bug bear when when it comes to sexuality. When are soaps are realistic and why do they have to be :confused: I for one am glad they aren't.
    The viewers, because it is unrealistic, just as it would be unrealistic for none of the soaps to have a gay character — which people would then say is homophobic... :sleep:

It's interesting that viewers complain about the idea that there is an over representation of gay characters as making it unrealistic. what about the over representation of serial killers :confused: and the rest :rolleyes:
  • Options
    hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO this sums up the criticism.

How can you possibly know this :confused: It may be the case in an area you are familiar with but you cannot know about every single area.

I'm baffled as to why realism is such a bug bear when when it comes to sexuality. When are soaps are realistic and why do they have to be :confused: I for one am glad they aren't.

It's interesting that viewers complain about the idea that there is an over representation of gay characters as making it unrealistic. what about the over representation of serial killers :confused: and the rest :rolleyes:

your absolutely right tbh I'm more concerned of how many murderers and psychos are in it, Sienna , Mercy, theresa, Robbie, Finn Trevor, Fraser, Grace, Will, Browning, clair, all in the past year.
    some even go unpunished:eek:

still I bet no ones going to start a thread complaining about that:rolleyes:
  • Options
    boxer1988boxer1988 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot of focus on gay characters. Danny almost sleeping with his own son was dreadful.
  • Options
    tfox6tfox6 Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    Whats too gay??:confused:
    Does it really matter how many gay characters there are, Why don't you focus on the storylines and characters OP???

What about serial killers ? Hollyoaks is a village of the insane that just happens to have gay residents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tfox6 wrote: »
    What about serial killers ? Hollyoaks is a village of the insane that just happens to have gay residents.

An episode doesn't go by without Trevor , Sienna , someone threatening someone, black mailing somebody, disposing a body, abusing, bulling, killing, nearly killing. and no one bats an eye lid

but put 5 or so gay people into a show:eek::eek::eek::eek: OH MY GOD, GET THEM OFF, ITS UNREALISTIC:rolleyes::rolleyes:

People out there seriously need GROW UP:mad:
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would say that the fact that it regularly struggles to find even one million viewers tells us all we need to know about all aspects of HO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually Corrie got quite a few gay characters now,

Sophie
    Sophies new love interest whos coming in soon
    Sean
    Jen
    Marcus (do we count him:confused:)
    Todd

whats the betting everyone will start threads about that:sleep:
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I dont watch Hollyoaks regularly enough to know who is gay or straight but my bugbear is that EastEnders with the exception of Danny who appears to Bi now after being Gay at first has ignored LGBT characters since Chryed left.

At least Hollyoaks and Coronation Street represents the LGBT community, EastEnders has failed to do since Chryed departed as Danny has no storyline of his own since he returned.

Emmerdale has three gay female characters as well - Ali, Ruby and Vanessa.

Danny is stlll an LGBT character but one I don't see lasting if the writers don't do something with him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    No, I've never considered it overly gay, as a pp said the ratio of gay to straight is about what you would expect in real life. Now as for murderers or the amount of people who die on a regular basis... That's rather unrealistic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could be wrong but the majority of HO viewers I would imagine are women and gay men (possibly women too), so I doubt there's any risk of viewers being alienated.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    Is it just me who sees a strange irony (perhaps, hypocrisy) in the fact that some people are pointing out how it's unrealistic to have no gay characters on Eastenders currently, whilst simultaneously defending the fact that 16% (I'm not going to include Tom and Peri, like one of the posters above) of the main characters of Hollyoaks are LGBT, which it's fair to say is an optimistic representation of society?

Bear in mind that Hollyoaks currently has ONE Asian character (2.3% of the main characters), when about 8% of the population are Asian.

And ONE black character (2.3% of the main characters) who may be leaving soon (the storyline suggests so. Correct me if I'm wrong), despite about 4% of the population being black.

So let's not pretend that gay characters aren't over-represented. It's a simple fact.

However, over-representing one demographic or another should not be an issue. Drama is drama, regardless of the skin colour, sexuality, gender etc. of the characters. Soaps aren't meant to strictly reflect society. It's not a documentary.

But I do think it's a shame that LGBT characters seem to be consistently over-represented in Hollyoaks recently (presumably because the producers have found gay characters/relationships to be well received by the target audience), whereas it was all the way back in 2010 that there was more than one black main character and back in 2009 that there was more than one Asian main character.

I think in light of how under-represented other demographics are it is a bit rich for people to pretend that LGBT characters aren't quite blatantly over-represented.

Race and sexuality aren't the same thing. For a metropolitan setting based around young people and students in particular it's hard to say there is over representation.