Ridiculous names people give their children

124»

Comments

• Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    I remember watching Judge Judy one day and one of the people on it was an older lady and her name was Bourbon Daniels :D

Spellings get me as well. I was watching Housewives of Miami and one of the maids was called Daysy ????

Just remembered another one . I was doing my husbands family tree. Some of the old names where hysterical but one that stuck with me was a poor girl called Fanny Treblecock :D.

Love it! Reminds me of a girl at school whose surname was Pincock! But her family pronounced it Pin-ko.

There was another girl at school whose family decided to change their surname completely as a relative had committed a terrible crime and they didn't want to be associated with him. So they changed their name to...........Organ. And if I told you what the girl's first name was, you would realise it was even sillier than that, but I don't like to, as I bet she's the only person in the whole world with that name, and don't want to be accused of slander!! :D
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter means fart in French

Peter is my real name - my wife, who speaks French fluently, is fond of telling me that!

I'm a Civil Servant, so in the course of my job, see many names. My favourite was someone called Richard Head and a Julie Gooley.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Kinda convoluted, but still...

Shell have this policy of giving people an email addy based on their surname and their initial.
    Thus, if your name is John Smith, your email would be SmithJ@Shell.com.

I was working with this guy called George Dun (yes, with one "n") and his email addy always made me giggle.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a Great Uncle whose first wife was called Bruce. Her sister was called Billy. This was in the 1940s so odd names are not a new phenomenon.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Nor do I. The child named Chlamydia is an urban myth and I don't believe there's such a surname as Royds so Emma Royds doesn't exist either.

If you try Goggle you will find that Emma Royds is not that an uncommon name.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once answered the phone to a sales rep called Dick Staines. :D I tried not to react but after I got off the phone I realised he can't have been that bothered as he would have used Richard instead!
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harper Seven is a ridiculous name. It sounds like a firm of solicitors. I can just picture it. "Hello, Harper Seven Solicitors, can I help you?" :p

It sounds like "half past seven" to me.
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    A boy in the paper a few weeks back was called Rooney Scholes. His Mum was......you guessed it....a Man U fan. For gods sake what was she thinking. Scholes was not his surname. Rooney Scholes was his Christian name.

If he grows up to be a City fan, he's really screwed.
    As a teacher, I have come across all sorts of weird and wonderful names, but the biggest problem for me is spellings. The number of times I have had to ask a child's name because I can't make head or tail of what appears to be a random selection of letters and make them into a name. For heaven's sake, the child will carry this burden for life if they don't adopt a more usual spelling. The last time I had to ask a child, the look on his face said it all-why oh why did you give me a stupidly spelled name mum?

Some idiots don't realise that they are naming adults who will temporarily be children. And spelling their name is a silly manner just leads to embarrassment later in life when they have to spell their own name wrongly to strangers.
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Overhead at the Queensgate during February half-term: "No, Kanye, stop acting like that!"

I instantly turned around and discovered that Kanye was a white kid. He was presumably named after the rapper Kanye West and looked like he was born when the rapper was No1 (2007).

There's a white kid in north Bucks called...Dre...as in Dr Dre. His aunt is called...Disney.

I went to a posh gastropub recently and next to us in the car park a man was trying to get his kids into a top of the range Range-rover. "Anakin..ANAKIN, for the last time get in the car please. Luke, sit down!". As soon as we were out of easrshot we burst out laughing - you name your pets after Star Wars characters, not your children. What if they hate Sci Fi?
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Janey_Bee wrote: »
    I know a woman called Steve! In fact, I think her Twitter handle is girl_steve or something. She's very intelligent, political and destined to be PM one day. I hope she does :)

My niece is called Steve. Well, actually Stevie, but sometimes her dad calls her Steve.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Kinda convoluted, but still...

Shell have this policy of giving people an email addy based on their surname and their initial.
    Thus, if your name is John Smith, your email would be SmithJ@Shell.com.

I was working with this guy called George Dun (yes, with one "n") and his email addy always made me giggle.

Company I used to know had a similar policy. Their email addresses were initial followed by surname followed by @ followed by domain. Terry Watt didn't like working there very much.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate my first name (John) because it is so straightforward and plain. It almost makes me want to be called Frogmella or Tuesday
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    A boy in the paper a few weeks back was called Rooney Scholes. His Mum was......you guessed it....a Man U fan. For gods sake what was she thinking. Scholes was not his surname. Rooney Scholes was his Christian name.

His surname was actually Scholes. That doesn't excuse the horrific first name though!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/boy-called-rooney-scholes-cant-3412305
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I know a boy called Cobain. Named after druggie Kurt Cobain.

Where's the rolleyes smilie when you need it? What's wrong with saying "the musician Kurt Cobain"? Do you refer to every musician that's done drugs as "the druggie" as that'd be a massive list that would feature some complete legends. Cobain is a rubbish first name though, it'd have been a lot better to go with Kurt, still not a great name but at least it's a real name.

I've encountered a PK. He was asked what it stood for and he said "nothing". He was actually registered as PK, just two letters. Bizarre.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »

Where's the rolleyes smilie when you need it? What's wrong with saying "the musician Kurt Cobain"? Do you refer to every musician that's done drugs as "the druggie" as that'd be a massive list that would feature some complete legends.

I would imagine it would include virtually every worthwhile musician of the last 50 years!

Bill Hicks summed it up - "You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal f*****g high on drugs. The Beatles were so f*****g high they let Ringo sing a few tunes"
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    It was an old fashioned Scots tradition to name the first born after the father....even if it was a girl. That's why you've loads of wee, old dears called Ina - it's short for Williamina, Georgina, Hughina, Davina, etc.

Is that true??

That's amazing (being totally serious)

My mum and dad are Scottish and my mum wanted to call me Williamina, I never asked her why - my dad's name is William so that's obviously why she wanted it.

I ended up as a Joanne (my mum was Joan)
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Where's the rolleyes smilie when you need it? What's wrong with saying "the musician Kurt Cobain"? Do you refer to every musician that's done drugs as "the druggie" as that'd be a massive list that would feature some complete legends.

I was going to say something similar. Saved me a job :)
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I've come across a child called JJa - pronounced Jayjay. Why not just spell it Jayjay or even just JJ? :confused:
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might take some beating. There was a traveller family a few years ago who sent their children to my old local school where a family member worked. All the children had the most absurd names going, almost like nicknames but apparently they were their actual birth certificate names.

Ouchie, Pouchie, Fashion, Curlie & Wurlie. :blush:

Another boy from another similar family was called Daddy!
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I went to a posh gastropub recently and next to us in the car park a man was trying to get his kids into a top of the range Range-rover. "Anakin..ANAKIN, for the last time get in the car please. Luke, sit down!". As soon as we were out of easrshot we burst out laughing - you name your pets after Star Wars characters, not your children. What if they hate Sci Fi?

Yoda and Darth would have been even worse :)
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    This might take some beating. There was a traveller family a few years ago who sent their children to my old local school where a family member worked. All the children had the most absurd names going, almost like nicknames but apparently they were their actual birth certificate names.

Sounds like a new version of the seven dwarfs :D
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is called Primrose Anna Morbid. He changed his name to that in his 20s, if he's not 50 now he can't be too far off :D
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Another boy from another similar family was called Daddy!

Oh good grief, lol! My daughter has an unusual name and I've been sharing some of the names in this thread for a laugh with her. She found this one most amusing. :D She loves her own name, btw, but she knows she'll never find it on a pen or a mug in a souvenir shop. Then again, my name was unusual when I was young (it's popular now) and it never bothered me. I never met anyone else with my name until I was an adult.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate my first name (John) because it is so straightforward and plain. It almost makes me want to be called Frogmella or Tuesday

I think Endeavour Morse would have loved to have been be called John :D

You could always call yourself Ian or Iain - isn't that the Scottish name for John ;-)