Options

Why do Internet trolls accuse posters of making stories up?

Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having recently been on the receiving end of accusations of making a story up - even though I thought it was pretty obvious it was true, and I would have made up a much more exciting and less mundane story if I really did want to make something up - I'm somewhat wary of posting this. That last thread had me upset, but I now wish I hadn't given such nasty pieces of work the satisfaction of letting them bother me. If anyone does accuse me of making anything up now, well, tough, I know it's true!

Anyway, what I really want to know is WHY so many Internet trolls accuse people of making things up. OK, I can understand why they're so nasty - I hate it but I think I understand - they have very sad little non-lives and feel the need to take it out on others. But why specifically accuse someone of making something up? Why that need, in particular? Even for the most obviously un-untrue threads!

That poor teenage boy who died a few weeks ago - the one who got all the newspaper coverage because he was so positive, and raised a fortune for charity - an inspirational boy by all accounts - well, I read the HE was the recipient of trolls accusing him of not really having cancer! (Wonder how they explained their reasoning when he actually died?) Jade Goody was also accused of lying about her cancer (ditto).

If anyone can explain to me this troll-need to accuse posters of lying about the most un-lie-worthy things, I would love to understand it.

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really think it's something you can ever really properly explain. The very nature of accusing someone of making something up is all part of the trolling exercise because it causes division, anger and frustration.

Some people troll because they think they're being funny, some do it because they think they're being clever, some do it as some kind of half-arsed 'protest' at certain things.

Some do it because they're bored and some just do it for attention.

I think when it comes down to it, as long as you know what you're posting is true then it really doesn't matter a stuff what other people think. It's easy to get caught up in trying to defend yourself if people start to get to you - i've done it myself - but it's ultimately a pointless exercise as these comedians will still tell you that you're making it up.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Moll the trouble with your thread was some of the inconsistencies. And while some were harsh imo there were others who were gently trying to tell you that rather than keep on it was maybe time to leave it where it was. They didn't accuse you of lying, just pointed out that, as happens when we remember stuff and add things, it gave ammunition to the cynics to accuse you of drip feeding and embellishing.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's usually the trolls who are the ones that make stories up. The meaning of the word troll seems to have become distorted recently.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    In general when people find themselves in a certain position or situation, rather than raise their game and pull themselves up they would rather try and drag other people down to their level. It's envy.

Ironically if they spent as much effort trying to improve their situation rather than trying to drag other people down they may be better off themselves.

This is why I am happy to try and help people who want and ask for help rather than waste my time trying to help people who do nothing but whinge and moan about how crap things are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moll the trouble with your thread was some of the inconsistencies. And while some were harsh imo there were others who were gently trying to tell you that rather than keep on it was maybe time to leave it where it was. They didn't accuse you of lying, just pointed out that, as happens when we remember stuff and add things, it gave ammunition to the cynics to accuse you of drip feeding and embellishing.

So here it goes again! Well, I know that the inconsistencies weren't inconsistent, and I know that I provided no ammo to be accused drip feeding or embellishment. And even if there had been (which there wasn't) why should anyone be nasty? And even if you make a fair point about me, I also asked about other people - eg that boy whose surname I've sadly forgotten, Stephen, and Jade Goody, who according to trolls managed to fool the world's entire media that they had cancer. Let's forget about me - why do trolls attack people like them? Is it possible they actually believe that a teenage boy could fool the world media?

I think it's time that "trolls" were renamed by the way. "Real" trolls, ie the creatures from Norwegian folklore, are far too cute to have their name tarnished in this way!!!
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Some people just like to appear more intelligent than they are. They feel great that they have 'caught out' the person telling their story and point out to everyone else how clever they are. If they really were as clever as they think they are, of course, they would know what to respond to and what to ignore.

I've not been posting on here that long but I do hate the threads where someone is accused of lying. If you don't find something at all believable it's not necessary to respond to it. Ignore and read something more interesting is what I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fundamentally, Trolls are attention seekers. They feed by provoking other people either by poking them with a virtual stick or by making up stories which get lots and lots of lovely responses. They sit back, stare at their screens and giggle about how clever they are. In story-telling mode, trolls drip feed information and might do the dramatic “OMG, guess what’s happened no…!” or “Update update, this has now happened…” to move the story along when it appears to be losing momentum.

If someone has had severe illness, had their life threatened, seem to have a rather unorthodox partnership relationship, keeps posting comments that do kinda make them look like victims but apparently ignoring all sensible advice… well… it isn't unreasonable if those with more regulated (fortunate?) lives end up doubting the storytelling. If someone has said they’re a writer, then again, at best: how much is this story being exaggerated for effect? to, at worst, this is total fabrication to garner attention?

Perhaps better to analyse what might lead people to think something is untrue (if, in fact, it is entirely true) rather than than complain about not being believed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Fundamentally, Trolls are attention seekers. They feed by provoking other people either by poking them with a virtual stick or by making up stories which get lots and lots of lovely responses. They sit back, stare at their screens and giggle about how clever they are. In story-telling mode, trolls drip feed information and might do the dramatic “OMG, guess what’s happened no…!” or “Update update, this has now happened…” to move the story along when it appears to be losing momentum.

If someone has had severe illness, had their life threatened, seem to have a rather unorthodox partnership relationship, keeps posting comments that do kinda make them look like victims but apparently ignoring all sensible advice… well… it isn't unreasonable if those with more regulated (fortunate?) lives end up doubting the storytelling. If someone has they’re a writer, then again, at best: how much is this story being exaggerated for effect? to, at worst, this is total fabrication to garner attention?

I think it’s better to analyse what might lead people to think something is untrue (if, in fact, it is entirely true) rather than than complain about not being believed.

Exactly what I wanted to do with this thread. What would make the whole world be fooled by a teenage boy pretending to have cancer?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Anyway, what I really want to know is WHY so many Internet trolls accuse people of making things up.

Because there are an inordinate amount of trolls equally who spin yarns on the Internet, giving rise to the accusations. One wouldn't exist without the other.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    If you don't find something at all believable it's not necessary to respond to it. Ignore and read something more interesting is what I do.

The thing is though that if somebody wants to pass the time posting something that doesn't sound very credible, they don't have the high ground over other posters who pass the time pulling that story to bits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted

They are sad twits that is why Moll.

Oh you have deleted your post, not sure why you did that, your comments were fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    The thing is though that if somebody wants to pass the time posting something that doesn't sound very credible, they don't have the high ground over other posters who pass the time pulling that story to bits.

But I'm not just talking about people who post threads, credible or otherwise. As my original question asked, what about high profile cancer sufferers, too busy being inspiring to bother going on forums, who still get the veracity of their illness questioned, and nasty accusations fired at them? What excuse can possibly be made for people who behave like that?
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'd probably have got a more active discussion on this topic in the general discussion area rather than advice, unless you are specifically asking for advice on dealing with trolls yourself?

I can't say I understand the psychology of people getting concerned with what someone says about them online, it's an anonymous dialogue, people may be more harsh, than they would be face to face, but really if you don't like what someone says it's so easy to ignore it, just don't rise to it, water off a ducks back and all that.

If you'd rather 'friendlier' and possibly less confrontational correspondences then I've found forums related to my interests, some science forums, movie, tv stuff, health related groups, which are full of likeminded people, healthy discussion and debate.

The beauty of online forums is you're only one click away from ignoring someone's comments...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I don't know what advice I should give on this.

I think maybe because in your thread, you were changing a few stuff around and they didn't add up to all the stuff you stated on that thread.
    I really don't know, that's just what I think. Happy to be corrected though if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Having recently been on the receiving end of accusations of making a story up - even though I thought it was pretty obvious it was true, and I would have made up a much more exciting and less mundane story if I really did want to make something up - I'm somewhat wary of posting this. That last thread had me upset, but I now wish I hadn't given such nasty pieces of work the satisfaction of letting them bother me. If anyone does accuse me of making anything up now, well, tough, I know it's true!

Anyway, what I really want to know is WHY so many Internet trolls accuse people of making things up. OK, I can understand why they're so nasty - I hate it but I think I understand - they have very sad little non-lives and feel the need to take it out on others. But why specifically accuse someone of making something up? Why that need, in particular? Even for the most obviously un-untrue threads!

That poor teenage boy who died a few weeks ago - the one who got all the newspaper coverage because he was so positive, and raised a fortune for charity - an inspirational boy by all accounts - well, I read the HE was the recipient of trolls accusing him of not really having cancer! (Wonder how they explained their reasoning when he actually died?) Jade Goody was also accused of lying about her cancer (ditto).

If anyone can explain to me this troll-need to accuse posters of lying about the most un-lie-worthy things, I would love to understand it.

Are you making this whole thread up?

Couldn't resist it
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because they have a sense of superiority that makes them say "you can fool all these stupid people here, but I'm way cleverer than that, you can't pull the wool over MY eyes."
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't comment on what happens in other situations, such as Stephen Sutton but with regards to your thread and the advice section it is mainly because it does get so many threads that are obviously or found to be made up that some forum members do question validity when a thread is a bit... abnormal, for want of a better word.

I don't think it makes them trolls in this case - cynical maybe. Understandably some can get annoyed when they have helped in a thread and then it turns out it is not genuine (in reference to fake threads in general - not saying yours was). I do agree that if someone doubts a thread they could just pass by it but as said, in an anonymous forum people are, rightly or wrongly more likely to say something than just pass on by. Users of forums just have to put up with it, press the ignore/block button or just don't use the forums.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because they have a sense of superiority that makes them say "you can fool all these stupid people here, but I'm way cleverer than that, you can't pull the wool over MY eyes."

That is how I see them!

I see the thread in question and see the person that called you out, and seen them do that a fair bit. I think they must sit there with spread sheets and cross referencing and bookmarking certain posts.:D

My head is always over the place and to me if I say a few days ago it might really mean weeks or mths. A few hours ago might be yesterday or the day before. I am rubbish and times/days and my mind is thinking one thing and my fingers might type another :blush::D

My ex used to get up, dressed out the door in under 5 mins.. so to me nothing was wrong in that post.

I need at least 2 or 3 hours to relax and read my mail etc before getting dressed and out the door.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is how I see them!

I see the thread in question and see the person that called you out, and seen them do that a fair bit. I think they must sit there with spread sheets and cross referencing and bookmarking certain posts.:D

My head is always over the place and to me if I say a few days ago it might really mean weeks or mths. A few hours ago might be yesterday or the day before. I am rubbish and times/days and my mind is thinking one thing and my fingers might type another :blush::D

My ex used to get up, dressed out the door in under 5 mins.. so to me nothing was wrong in that post.

I need at least 2 or 3 hours to relax and read my mail etc before getting dressed and out the door.

Thanks Sweet Peanut. That's a nice post.

x
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some on the internet are way too quick to jump down people's throats when they see a chance to. I think it's only the ones who create threads with an obvious wind up first post that are wanting negative reactions.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    With regards to Stephen Sutton, i think the accusations started flying about when he recovered from what was thought to be his imminent final days (the thumbs up photo that made his story go viral). People just couldn't believe that something as serious as cancer meant you could recover significantly enough to go home and get out and about a bit. But that can be how cancer is for some people, they do rally for a bit before they then go back downhill.

Why do people do it? Lots of reasons. Some are just nasty and do it to provoke a reaction like any that like to abuse another - a sense of power. Others may do it for fear of being taken for a fool, or out of anger, particularly when they have empathised and supported that person previously and maybe have worried about them a great deal (an emotional investment if you like).

The problem with social media and forums is that we sometimes forget there are real people at the end of the keyboard with their own emotional lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »

If someone has had severe illness, had their life threatened, seem to have a rather unorthodox partnership relationship, keeps posting comments that do kinda make them look like victims but apparently ignoring all sensible advice… well… it isn't unreasonable if those with more regulated (fortunate?) lives end up doubting the storytelling. If someone has said they’re a writer, then again, at best: how much is this story being exaggerated for effect? to, at worst, this is total fabrication to garner attention?

Perhaps better to analyse what might lead people to think something is untrue (if, in fact, it is entirely true) rather than than complain about not being believed.

Interesting view on "trolls" being the so-called attention-seekers who get picked on, Normandie. Personally, I think the trolls are the ones doing the picking. The ones whose sad little lives have been so restricted and unfulfilled that they can't see how diverse someone else's life can be, and that fact really can be stranger than fiction. They can't bear, for example, to think that someone might be much better looking than them, have a better love life, be better off - wealthy, even. When I read a nasty remark in a thread, I can't help it, I get an image in my head of someone dumpy and frumpy, with a face made ugly be years of nastiness, just scraping by because they haven't got the charisma to land a job (I'm not talking about people who are jobless due to illness or anything like that) and resenting anyone who might have a generally more fulfilling life than them, and simply be a better person.

I've said it till I'm blue in the face, but for goodness sake, if I had wanted to stir things up by making up a story, it would have been a good deal more interesting than the mundane, boring little tale I came up with! Something like: my husband's got a fabulously wealthy job, we live in a large detached house, I'm shortly going to be getting my first book published (hooray!), oh, and I used to be a model in my younger days and am still renowned for my gorgeous good looks. And my uncle (God rest his soul) was the richest man in Ireland and my parents hob-nob with the royals. Now, that would be far more unbelievable, don't you think, Normandie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to Stephen Sutton, i think the accusations started flying about when he recovered from what was thought to be his imminent final days (the thumbs up photo that made his story go viral). People just couldn't believe that something as serious as cancer meant you could recover significantly enough to go home and get out and about a bit. But that can be how cancer is for some people, they do rally for a bit before they then go back downhill.

Why do people do it? Lots of reasons. Some are just nasty and do it to provoke a reaction like any that like to abuse another - a sense of power. Others may do it for fear of being taken for a fool, or out of anger, particularly when they have empathised and supported that person previously and maybe have worried about them a great deal (an emotional investment if you like).

The problem with social media and forums is that we sometimes forget there are real people at the end of the keyboard with their own emotional lives.

You obviously think the Stephen Sutton trolls really didn't believe him, Frisky. I must be more cynical than you, but I personally think they DO really know he was ill and their behaviour was down to sheer nastiness. Maybe because they were envious of all the attention he was getting, or because they realised he was a better person than they could ever be.
This discussion has been closed.