New "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" trailer due online today

12346»

Comments

• ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    From the films title, are we to assume that the force has died? And also, as we're seeing stormtroopers & what looks like an updated star destroyer, are we to assume the Empire didn't completely die out?

A small part of me is worried that Abrams will do to a 'alternative future' film like Star Trek. I hope not.

I'd imagine there'd be plenty of devoted Imperial troops who wouldn't give up without a fight. The fleet in RotJ wasn't completely wiped out.

Maybe the title means that more people are getting the ability to use the force, whereas before there were only a handful of force sensitives.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "the force awakens" may refer to the new beginning for the Jedi order and the return of the sith?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Awakens" suggests the Force is more asleep than dead.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to what was revealed at Celebration in April:

There is no Galactic Empire any more, however, there is some kind of Imperial Remnant known as "The First Order". The Rebel Alliance is apparently now known as "The Resistance".

Either way, it's pretty clear the Galactic Civil War is far from over. The Empire's defeat at Endor was just the beginning of a much larger war.

More info here: http://io9.com/the-empire-has-a-whole-new-name-in-star-wars-episode-vi-1698337595
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the films title, are we to assume that the force has died? And also, as we're seeing stormtroopers & what looks like an updated star destroyer, are we to assume the Empire didn't completely die out?

A small part of me is worried that Abrams will do to a 'alternative future' film like Star Trek. I hope not.

All that happened in RotJ was the defeat of the Emperor and the destruction of the Death Star. The Imperial Fleet wasn't wiped out. Only a few Star Destroyers were involved. There would still have been fanatics still holding to the Imperial ideal. Not everyone would have been under Sidius' direct influence. They would have to have been talked into it/convinced somehow.

As for the alternate timeline the trailer doesn't really give that impression at all. It's the same world with the same characters, just a few years down the line. It's a new beginning. (title for episode 8?)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All that happened in RotJ was the defeat of the Emperor and the destruction of the Death Star. The Imperial Fleet wasn't wiped out. Only a few Star Destroyers were involved. There would still have been fanatics still holding to the Imperial ideal. Not everyone would have been under Sidius' direct influence. They would have to have been talked into it/convinced somehow.

As for the alternate timeline the trailer doesn't really give that impression at all. It's the same world with the same characters, just a few years down the line. It's a new beginning. (title for episode 8?)

Agreed. According to official canon, after the Battle of Endor, Governor Adelhard and Commander Bragh, remaining loyal to the Empire, closed off the Anoat Sector and instituted a reign of terror. Subsequently the galaxy is reshaped as factions rush to fill a power vacuum left after the death of Palpatine.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

Putting my fanboy head on...

It is easier to believe that a Galactic sized Empire wouldn't simply roll over and relinquish its grasp simply because the Rebellion had knocked out the Emperor, Vader and their half-finished space station. I like the idea that they have clung on, and the war has become a long and protracted affair, because that is the kind of epic "Star Wars" that the franchise name invokes.

It won't be an 'alternative' future, as this is the future, 30 years after Return of the Jedi. Whatever happens, if it doesn't negate what has gone before, will be canon.