Options

flop singles from otherwise successful acts ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Falling Down - Duran Duran got to number 52 in the UK, but made number 2 in Italy.
  • Options
    dorkjacksndorkjacksn Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls Aloud's Beautiful Cause You Love Me. 21 top ten singles, one other landing at #11 and their final release stalled at #97.

It was saccharine, ballady drivel of the kind that Girls Aloud famously never used to traffic in (See The Day aside....). That and they barely even promoted it, nor gave it an official physical release. I prefer to just consider 'Something New' the official last single really...
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Falling Down - Duran Duran got to number 52 in the UK, but made number 2 in Italy.

DD wise, although not technically a flop as such as it reached number 23, I always thought 'Electric Barberella' was a brilliant song and deserved to do a lot better than it did.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Amy Winehouse's singles from her first album "Frank" didn't do very well. Will Young - bar "Jealousy", all the singles off "Echoes" undersevedly missed the Top 40, though I'd have swopped "I Just Want A Lover" with "Runaway" as it could have made it with a slight remix, and a killer video - something matching the miserable summer we had in 2012 with the weather.

Re: Beautiful Because You Love Me - I think it was more of a promo single than an official release. I do like the song, but I remember the only promo it got was Christmas Day TOTP.

Didn't "Small Bump" by Ed Sheeran fail to make the Top 20 or am I imaging things?
  • Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MK184 wrote: »
    I've confused Sarah and Kimberley here! Ranking them in order of voices I would actually say:
    1. Nadine
    2. Kimberley
    3. Nicola
    4. Sarah
    5. Cheryl

Don't know what I meant here, I was right the first time! :confused:
    1. Nadine
    2. Sarah
    3. Nicola
    4. Cheryl
    5. Kimberley

But back to the subject 'Seasons' by Olly Murs has been a flop, only getting to #34, despite lots of airplay. Taylor Swift also had a recent flop with 'Style' only getting to #21 which was a shame.
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Re: Beautiful Because You Love Me - I think it was more of a promo single than an official release. I do like the song, but I remember the only promo it got was Christmas Day TOTP

I think they tried to pass it off as 'promo' when it didn't take off much...because of it being rubbish. I think they hoped it would be a Christmassy ballad that would do well and be their final single but nobody was interested. Plus they performed it on TOTP, Children in Need, the Live Lounge and the televised Jingle Bell ball so it was definitely promoted. Some acts would KILL for promotion like that.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBYL was a ire song On The Metro should have been a single in it's place.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't promote it at all, but I will be forever devastated that People Like us by Kelly Clarkson peaked at 188 over here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    DD wise, although not technically a flop as such as it reached number 23, I always thought 'Electric Barberella' was a brilliant song and deserved to do a lot better than it did.

I can still remember the horror when Skin Trade only got to number 22 after a run of 10 top ten singles ...