Sam Rockwell

logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ever since i watched Charlies Angels ( I know), i've been blown away by how good an actor he is. Recently I've watched Galaxy Quest, Seven Psychopaths, Choke, Moon and i've seen Confessions of a Dangerous Mind a couple of times. Tonight i watched The Sitter and didn't know he was even in it, but he stole every scene as usual.
He's definitely not an under rated actor but i don't think a lot of people know about him, which is a bit weird considering how many movies he's done and performances he's delivered.
What do you guys think?

Comments

• TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acors' actor.

an oscar waiting to happen.

Try Lawn Dogs, too.One of his earlier indie hits...
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,363
    Forum Member
    Am also a fan, OP. Although sometimes perplexed by the roles he chooses, he always delivers and makes potential rubbish watchable.

Second this. Brilliant underrated gem.

I'd also recommend Matchstick Men and Everybody's Fine if you haven't seen them, both worth watching if you enjoy Rockwell's performances. The latter is a tad schmaltzy but, in my opinion, a very moving film that also has an excellent performance from Robert DeNiro.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    He's great in The Green Mile
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree he's a great actor who always seems to choose interesting roles, and for the most part steers clear of big budget blockbusters, save for Charlie's Angels and the new Poltergeist.

He is very good at playing characters that are either a little bit slimy, or slightly weird/damaged/unstable in some way.

But the film that made me sit up and take notice of him was Heist, an excellent, labyrinthine plotted movie from David Mamet.

Though I think most will probably remember him more for Green Mile, Galaxy Quest, and especially Moon, which was a tour-de-force performance.

With his recent appearance in the Poltergeist movie, I kind of hope he is not moving to more conventional roles in major movies...though that said, if he can bring his own particular quirky style to them, all well and good.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just watched him in Mr Right with Anna Kendrick, really enjoyed it. Still haven't seen three billboards yet!!
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was this scene in 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' that made me realise just how good he was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TiNAYpVVr4
  • SAS999SAS999 Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I first saw him in Welcome to Collinwood along with George Clooney, the Green Mile, Matchstick Men with Nicolas Cage is a very underrated 'Con Artist' film.
    Seen Sam on quite a few American talk shows like Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel etc and Sam is a brilliant dancer. Theres a clip somewhere on YouTube with both Sam and Tom Hiddleston having a dance off.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri when it first came out in 2017. It was Dad that wanted to see it, so we watched it. Of course it was a very good film with some great acting by all the cast.

Anyway, fast forward to this year during the lockdown, it was a Saturday late afternoon/ early evening in early May and I just had Film 4 on in the background. I had nothing to do, so I sat down to watch the end of one family comedy (I can't remember the name of it), but what followed was the film The Way, Way Back from 2013.

It had Steve Carrell and Toni Collette as the divorced parents who had entered a relationship but each had a child of their own. It follows the path of Collette's son Duncan whilst they all go and spend the summer at Carrell's beach house.

Duncan is outcasted by family but encounters Owen played by Sam Rockwell. I must say Rockwell was excellent in this film as he play the charismatic Owen who takes Duncan under his wing. I had never heard of this film before and if I looked at he poster for it, I wouldn't even think to watch it. I looked it up afterwards and it was quite well received. Rockwell was highly credited and various critics said he should have got an Academy nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

My Mum has always rated him since Welcome To Collingwood and I saw my Dad and told him about this film and told him about Rockwell (who was in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri) about his great performance in this film. Again, this is not the type of film he would watch, but I did recommend it to him. My Mum would watch it it was on TV.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri when it first came out in 2017. It was Dad that wanted to see it, so we watched it. Of course it was a very good film with some great acting by all the cast.

Anyway, fast forward to this year during the lockdown, it was a Saturday late afternoon/ early evening in early May and I just had Film 4 on in the background. I had nothing to do, so I sat down to watch the end of one family comedy (I can't remember the name of it), but what followed was the film The Way, Way Back from 2013.

It had Steve Carrell and Toni Collette as the divorced parents who had entered a relationship but each had a child of their own. It follows the path of Collette's son Duncan whilst they all go and spend the summer at Carrell's beach house.

Duncan is outcasted by family but encounters Owen played by Sam Rockwell. I must say Rockwell was excellent in this film as he play the charismatic Owen who takes Duncan under his wing. I had never heard of this film before and if I looked at he poster for it, I wouldn't even think to watch it. I looked it up afterwards and it was quite well received. Rockwell was highly credited and various critics said he should have got an Academy nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

My Mum has always rated him since Welcome To Collingwood and I saw my Dad and told him about this film and told him about Rockwell (who was in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri) about his great performance in this film. Again, this is not the type of film he would watch, but I did recommend it to him. My Mum would watch it it was on TV.

Toni colette is one of the best actresses about these days. She's just fabulous.
    Its funny I forget her and Rachel Griffiths are Australian as I'm so used to them in American accents.
  • Joolz1975Joolz1975 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is fantastic, not seen many of his films but he is brill in the ones I have seen.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a movie but he was totally brilliant in Fossie and yes he did dance in it.
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    Not a movie but he was totally brilliant in Fossie and yes he did dance in it.

Yeah I was just going to recommend that. He was excellent.
    It’s available on IPlayer for anyone interested
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's also brilliant in Clint Eastwood's excellent 'Richard Jewell '.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASIFZED wrote: »
    He's also brilliant in Clint Eastwood's excellent 'Richard Jewell '.

Yes, he was great in that. That was actually quite a good film, I was surprised how good it was.

I also thought Sam Rockwell was great in Jojo Rabbit and Vice.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I liked his performance in "Moon".
  • fallenshadowfallenshadow Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Great actor. Watched Joshua and Laggies recently and enjoyed his performance in both films. His small role in A Case of You was pretty funny too.
  • aceruseraceruser Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    The way way back. He was amazing and the movie is just superb.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aceruser wrote: »

A lot of people (film critics) say he should have got nominated for an Academy Award for that film.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Acors' actor.

He's won an Oscar already

I adore him. He's wonderful
  • aceruseraceruser Posts: 163
    Forum Member

A lot of people (film critics) say he should have got nominated for an Academy Award for that film.

I don't know about that. He was brilliant but I would expect that you need to do a much more demanding role for an award.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know about that. He was brilliant but I would expect that you need to do a much more demanding role for an award.

It was for the supporting role. That is subjective really. The supporting role can be seen in differing ways. Sometimes it is seen as safe role for actors being the sub plot, but then there are times (or many time) when "the supporting actor steals the show." For example, Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction, Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men etc.

There are occasions when you ask how was he/she not winning the best actor award? The example I have used is how Anthony Hopkins won best actor in Silence Of The Lambs for being on screen for just over 15 minutes, but Heath Ledger won for best supporting actor in The Dark Knight. The latter surely being the "demanding role" as you say. That is where the Academy Awards can look dubious in what is a main or supporting role.

Also, the supporting role can be where an upcoming actor is coming to prominence and may gain stronger roles in the future?

I would say in Sam Rockwell's case there may have been years he could have been nominated for the performance, but in this case for whatever reason, he was not.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was also excellent playing the two sides of Zaphod Beeblebrox's personality in Hitchhikers'.
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recently watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and Richard Jewell. Sam Rockwell was very good in both of them.
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acors' actor.

Lawn dogs is a classic film
    Massively underated
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SAS999 wrote: »
    I first saw him in Welcome to Collinwood along with George Clooney, the Green Mile, Matchstick Men with Nicolas Cage is a very underrated 'Con Artist' film.
    Seen Sam on quite a few American talk shows like Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel etc and Sam is a brilliant dancer. Theres a clip somewhere on YouTube with both Sam and Tom Hiddleston having a dance off.

Welcome to Collingwood also massively underated