Options

Are we stuck with this crap forever ?

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
In recent weeks Im noticing a mini window
appearing over almost every web page I go to

Often the advert is for e bay , but not always.

This mini window is about 3 inches by 2 inches
but its taking up nearly a quarter of the d---ned
web page !

sometimes even two of these mini ads appear !!

Are we stuck with this crap forever ?

Comments

• Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Run a virus check and anti malware check to see if that helps. Along with this try installing an adblocker add on to your browser.
    Hopefully this will resolve most issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Like a fool.....I assumed everyone was getting this !
    being a mini page it does nt seem part of the browser
    ( f fox ) but I suppose it must be coming thru there .

Only yest I went to f fox add ons and downloaded 2 pop up blockers for the browser basically hoping to stop ads for vlc media player coming up in tabs every 6 seconds.... I was nt even thinking of these mini ad windows !
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reset your browser
    Scan with Malwarebytes (free)
    Install Adblock Pro
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clear out your Temporary Internet files, History and cookies. Every Web Browser has the means of doing this. Check your Web Browser settings, if in doubt use the defaults.
    You should be doing this regularly, some odd stuff gets in there.

If it's still there then you will need to run an Anti-Malware scanner, like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The free version is always useful for the occasional manual scan.

I don't even use a Popup blocker or Ad Blocking software and almost never get those intrusive Ads.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use do not track me on both Linux and windows and that seems to do the job.
    but while these mini windows may be some form of virus/Malwear what ever it is, the fact is that advertising is going to get more in your face.
    Stopping it on computers is pretty simple at the moment, but what about phones, tablets and even smart Tv sets?

at the moment any adverts i see on my phone are in apps and very small, but give it time and you will have a advert blasted into your ear when you try to phone someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That Prat Bill Gates could have spent some of his money making
    windows secure from viruses and malware etc
    instead he left us all hung out to dry ... vunerable to all the crap
    orbiting cyberspace

Half of your time on line is spent scanning and trying to get junk out of your system.

It got really bad on sunday ... a new tab was opening every 6 seconds telling me to download the latest vlc player in the end I just could nt use f fox atall that night .
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »

He would then need to spend the rest of his money teaching people not to be so careless and clueless when it comes to technology. Unfortunately, there's not enough money in the world to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You re saying Im clueless ?
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I think he has a point. The best anti-virus, anti-malware is common sense. Unfortunately, that is a commodity that in some cases is in such short supply, that no amount of money could cure it. :)
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You re saying Im clueless ?

xxtimbo, rhymes with...

As per previous posts, you obviously have malware which you have been given instructions on how to remove.

Yes, in an ideal world Windows would be more secure. Hardening it against attacks would mean losing compatability with thousands of software titles. Microsoft have a difficult balancing act.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good advice from max99 in post 13 here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1981810

"As for cleaning up the machine, this is a good general guide:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-...edirect-virus/

In your case, ignore the first parts about browser redirects and and just carry out Step 3 and Steps 6 to 8.

Once done, read this, watch the video and then install Adblock Plus for whichever browser you use."
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    orbiting cyberspace

Half of your time on line is spent scanning and trying to get junk out of your system.

It got really bad on sunday ... a new tab was opening every 6 seconds telling me to download the latest vlc player in the end I just could nt use f fox atall that night .
    Bill Gates has been officially retired from MS
    for a long time now so blaming him for your
    personal computer being infested
    with malware is possibly a bit...
    unreasonable IMO. Not to mention that
    no ounce of security measures can protect
    from the weakest link in the chain (the user).

A scan with malwarebytes is certainly
    worth a shot. If its that bad that it cant be cleaned
    up with any of the advice on here then I'd
    suggest backing up your files and performing
    a factory reset since this is going to be the simplest
    and quickest way to get you back up and running.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    orbiting cyberspace

You sounds like the kind of person that would leave their house unlocked and then blame someone else when it gets burgled!

You do have to use your own common sense...99% of anything like this that happens is down to the user.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orbiting cyberspace

Are you using Windows XP?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Are you using Windows XP?
    Yes Im using windows XP
  • Options
    henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Yes Im using windows XP

I'd get rid and replace either with Linux Mint 17 xfce or LXLE (based on Lubuntu). With either one you will have a superb operating system with no headache with viruses, trojans, browser hijacks etc.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    henm2 wrote: »
    I'd get rid and replace either with Linux Mint 17 xfce or LXLE (based on Lubuntu). With either one you will have a superb operating system with no headache with viruses, trojans, browser hijacks etc.

What terrible advice when you don't even know what software they need to run,
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you just love these Linux geeks? :D
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Im using windows XP

You can't make comments like wish Bill Gates would make windows more secure when you're using a 12 year old operating system that is no longer supported!! Upgrade to a modern OS like Windows 8 and you're much less likely to have these problems.

Microsoft spent years warning people that XP would become unsupported and more susceptible to security threats - guess you're one of those people now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What terrible advice when you don't even know what software they need to run,
    barbeler wrote: »
    Don't you just love these Linux geeks? :D

Terrible advice? yes and no.

you can't just say oh go for Linux then, you got to find out what the person do with their computer, what software they use and what hardware they use.
    then you can see if there is any alternative software wise, which normally there is, some of it is not as good as the windows equivalent, which is a shame. But most are or atr least good enough for the majority of people.

Hardware could be a problem.

I have converted a few people to Linux, but I also know that Linux is not for everyone.

He is right in that you will not get the security problems you get with Windows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't make comments like wish Bill Gates would make windows more secure when you're using a 12 year old operating system that is no longer supported!! Upgrade to a modern OS like Windows 8 and you're much less likely to have these problems.

Microsoft spent years warning people that XP would become unsupported and more susceptible to security threats - guess you're one of those people now.

I remember when XP first came out, the proud boast from MS that it was more secure, then right after launch they had to put out a load of security updates. and have been doing so ever since.

But I do get your point, XP is a old Os, but it can still be used safely if people take care.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Precisely. People have no right to complain about security if they're still using XP. If XP users want security, they should move to another Windows OS that is supported by Microsoft.
  • Options
    skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange, I never received any warning, so I don't know what you're talking about.

However, the OP is definitely one of those where you think... Shall I bother helping...?