AI 2014 - When?

Comments

• tommYHYHtommYHYH Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Are 5* showing ep 2? Can't see it anywhere?

Episode 2 was on yesterday at 5pm.

I'm assuming it'll be Saturday and Sunday that AI will air?
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having watched all the audition episodes online, it seems like 80% of the contestants are guitar strummers who like wearing lumberjack/checked shirts.

The talent itself seems strong overall, but I hope we're not heading for another season 9 'coffee-house Idol' series. A bit of variety after season 12's ballad-fest would be nice - hopefully the top 10/12/whatever will have a mix of singers from several different genres.
  • tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member
    Having watched all the audition episodes online, it seems like 80% of the contestants are guitar strummers who like wearing lumberjack/checked shirts.

The talent itself seems strong overall, but I hope we're not heading for another season 9 'coffee-house Idol' series. A bit of variety after season 12's ballad-fest would be nice - hopefully the top 10/12/whatever will have a mix of singers from several different genres.

As much as American Idol (and it's fans) would hate to admit it, I think it's turned into a show for singer-songwriters.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen all of the audition rounds and I think its a good mix, the guitars relate to a rule change a season or two back where they could bring a guitar in. It just helps them, doesnt necessarily mean they are earnest young things pouring their hearts out.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the new series. Surprised but happy that it managed to bounce back after last season.
  • japarajapara Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How annoying is Ryan's mum?
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything about this is annoying.There are 2 reasons why I can't discuss the show:
    1. Channel 5 is how many weeks behind live?? *
    2. There is nobody here to discuss anything with! :o

*This is ridiculous. It's not a box set. It's a reality tv show FFS.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Everything about this is annoying.There are 2 reasons why I can't discuss the show:
    1. Channel 5 is how many weeks behind live?? *
    2. There is nobody here to discuss anything with! :o

*This is ridiculous. It's not a box set. It's a reality tv show FFS.

I suppose diehard fans watch it before it limps onto C5. Those (few?) of us that watch it all do so at different times as I suspect we all record it.

I am not good at discussing the auditions because there are so many of them; I despair at some of the acts that go through; the judges often play around because they get bored.

I kept hoping that Brandie Love would turn up. She was the country singer on X-Factor USA who the judges rated highly and I really liked. However, she didn't make the final 40, although she was IMO better than most of those they did pick.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this really the only thread on this? Just watched the latest 2 shows. Absolutely loving it and this is the best music audition show panel ever. The chemistry is brilliant but so is the advice. Harry is a revelation and hilarious and Keith could almost make me swing the other way. And J Lo is always stunning and kind. Love it.
  • ellie4265ellie4265 Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying it so far.

I'm up-to-date with the US shows now. I hope Channel 5* somehow catch up before the live shows, so we can have an 'up-to-date' discussion on here. Otherwise, it's difficult to comment without spoiling it for UK 5* viewers.

If 5* don't catch up very soon, maybe we can start a new thread for those of us that are watching at the US pace.

It is annoying though - in the past the live shows were only a day behind.
  • blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Is this really the only thread on this? Just watched the latest 2 shows. Absolutely loving it and this is the best music audition show panel ever. The chemistry is brilliant but so is the advice. Harry is a revelation and hilarious and Keith could almost make me swing the other way. And J Lo is always stunning and kind. Love it.
    ellie4265 wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying it so far.

I'm up-to-date with the US shows now. I hope Channel 5* somehow catch up before the live shows, so we can have an 'up-to-date' discussion on here. Otherwise, it's difficult to comment without spoiling it for UK 5* viewers.

If 5* don't catch up very soon, maybe we can start a new thread for those of us that are watching at the US pace.

It is annoying though - in the past the live shows were only a day behind.

I've just caught up with US pace after being so frustrated this weekend at finding out how far behind we are! Doesn't seem to make much sense to be weeks behind. Anyone know why 5 aren't showing it almost in tandem this year?

I must say, the reason I was so eager to catch up was because of how much I'm enjoying this season. I've always had the odd contestant from all singing shows that I liked and could potentially make that season of that particular show enjoyable. But in terms of show format, Idol has always been my favourite. It just has always seemed simpler, less gimmicky, and more about showcasing the contestants, rather than the judges in fighting. I do realise that Idol has been guilty of these things at certain times over the years, but a considerable amount less than other shows, in my opinion.

This season seems to have really nailed the format, at least for me, and at least so far. I won't talk about anything after the audition shows as I realise people who aren't watching at US pace wouldn't have seen that yet.

In the auditions we seemed to see a lot more people sing, a lot less sob stories, and hardly any 'joke' acts. Yeah, they had a few frivolous moments, and that weird chamber thing, but it seems the show is trying to regain a bit of class this season.

I love the judging panel this year. Along with the format, it's why I think the season has been so good this year. Firstly, it's so much better with 3 judges. Much more intimate, less bolshy and less confusing opinions. Secondly, it was a great decision to bring back Keith Urban and Jennifer Lopez. In my opinion the were the most coherent and fair judges on their respective seasons, by a country mile. Lastly, and most significantly; Harry Connick Jr.

I've been a fan of HCJr for years, so was delighted he was made a judge. Especially after his mentoring sessions in past seasons. Out of all the mentors, in all the seasons he was definitely one of the only few who seemed to have looked 'mentor' up in the dictionary. I realise that he is a divisive character, and there will be the same amount of people thrilled with him as can't stand him. These are the reasons why his appearance on the show has automatically made this season a peach;

1. He's knowledgeable.
    Whether you like him or hate him, you can't deny he knows his potatoes. He's very gifted musically, yeah he probably know it too, but you can't ignore that he brings an intelligence to the show, and genuinely believes that it's important to learn about your craft. I've never found him condescending when imparting knowledge, he seems like he actually wants to help people learn. He's also very savvy about the context of his role in the show and the 'reality' nature of AI.

2. He's honest.
    To some it may appear 'nasty', but I don't believe that to be true at all. There are a ton of reality show judges who just dish out cliches again and again, and a ton who just dish out insults with no advice. Obviously there is still subjectivity involved, but his opinions are always usually clear and coherent, with no confusing metaphors or run on sentences. They're to the point, and offer morsals that the contestants can actually use if they choose to. I haven't agreed with everything he's said, but I at least understand his thought process through how he has articulated his opinion.

3. He's dismissed phoney terminology.
    I have so many pet peeves with singing reality shows, and a huge one being 'one-size-fits-all' musical critiques that don't mean anything! I was so happy when he talked about how 'pitchy' was basically a cheat term. I was so sick of that word. One of my favourite bits on the show was when a contestant said they were going to do a 'jazzy' arrangement. I literally face palmed. Harry's face was a picture. I felt so sorry for the contestant in a way, but glad they got called up on it.

4. He's funny
    Again, a lot of people won't think so and humour is subjective, but I think he's got a quick wit, it can be mocking, but never nasty. He's self depreciating about himself too, and how the contestants don't know him (seriously kids?! You want to be in the music industry, but don't know who he is?! Google him at least!). His humour adds to the musical intelligence and honesty to make a really well rounded, knowledgable and entertaining judge.

5. Age appropriate lyrics.
    This is another of my huge pet peeves and I'm so glad he brought it up. It creeps me out to hear children the same age as my nephew sing things that would frankly almost make me blush. I'm also a bit dubious when kids so young sing songs about really complex emotions, but as long as they sell it and have an understanding of the lyrics, then I don't mind.

6. Acoustic Arrangements.
    Another pet peeve. :D I loved it when he said of course stripping it back is automatically going to make it more intimate, but that doesn't necessarily fit the song. Don't get me wrong, I love a good acoustic arrangement, but it really gets my goat when a song is stripped back just for the sake of it, but takes away from the meaning of the song.

7. Keith Urban.
    I felt so bad for Keith last year. The poor little lamb looked like he was involved in a hostage situation when he was on that panel last year. I'm sure I could see him blinking out 'help' in Morse code. This year though, it's like he's got a new lease of life. He obviously fan girl's a bit over Harry (and visa versa) and he's got someone he can play around with a bit, and talk to about music. Keith is very talented and knowledgeable and it's been a pleasure to see that come out a bit more. Him and Harry together are just as cute as a pair of fluffy bunnies.

8. A harmonious panel.
    I really feel like there won't be any fights or distracting bickering. I'm sure there will be disagreements, but done in a respectful way. All three of the judges seem to have genuine respect and awe for what the others do, and can mock and joke with each other without it being taken seriously. I'm ambivalent towards JLo as a performer, but she's obviously got an amazing work ethic and managed to create a career with longevity. She's very sweet and caring on the panel. Keith clearly loves music and will offer advice if he thinks the contestant needs it. The three of them make a brilliant dynamic, which is really lovely to watch.

9.And Finally...
    http://youtu.be/pH9l8KlcuBA

Actually didn't mean to write so much, whoops :blush: Does anyone have any favourite contestants this year so far? Some years I have the odd person I quite like the sound of, but I prefer to wait till the live rounds when I can hear them sing a song all the way through. I get more of a sense of them then.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great post from B-A (I didn't try to quote it because it may have been too long!). :)

I actually agree with everything said. For instance, it is such a relief to be spared the sob stories. The only downside is that watching the programme takes longer, as there is less to fast-forward through!

No doubt once the live shows (well, not so live for C5!) appear there will be lots more "in depth" interviews which I can ignore.

I haven't spotted many really good performers yet: I still remember two from X-Factor USA who didn't get to the last 40 (Brandie Love and AKNU). In fact I was just listening to Valerie on the radio and immediately could visualise AKNU performing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZvJ24d2AGs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    What a great post from B-A (I didn't try to quote it because it may have been too long!). :)

I actually agree with everything said. For instance, it is such a relief to be spared the sob stories. The only downside is that watching the programme takes longer, as there is less to fast-forward through!

No doubt once the live shows (well, not so live for C5!) appear there will be lots more "in depth" interviews which I can ignore.

I haven't spotted many really good performers yet: I still remember two from X-Factor USA who didn't get to the last 40 (Brandie Love and AKNU). In fact I was just listening to Valerie on the radio and immediately could visualise AKNU performing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZvJ24d2AGs

Thanks DJW. Yeah, I was never big on the sob stories. If it's relevant somehow, or in a week where they are singing a song for someone special bla bla bla, then it's fine. There have been contestants on there that have had honestly bad things happen, but haven't needed to pour their heart out too much, just a little, and all their emotion has been evident in their singing. But when we need a three page biography to understand that they are singing a certain song because it was their dead dog's favourite, and Fido helped the contestant through being bullied in kindergarten, it starts to unravel a bit for me. Maybe that's being unkind, but when you listen to a song on the radio you have no idea what pain and suffering the singer has gone through apart from what's present in their voice.

I think we start to get more interviews in the middle of the live shows. When they first start there is so many that Ryan practically boots them off the stage and drags the next one in, and towards the end they start doing multiple songs per contestant so the dining and judging dominates time. However there's that middle period, where they are still on one song a piece, but have the same length show and results show to fill with less contestants. Sometimes they have cute little sections with them...often not. I say just fill the air time with Keith and Harry being adorkable this year! :p

I only saw a fraction of US X Factor this year. I missed it at the start and then couldn't get back in to it, so just saw performances here and there. I did see a few of last year's contestants during the Idol auditions though. Yeah, I know what you mean, sometimes there are pre-live performances you remember from contestants who don't make the lives. They've really whisked through them this year. There was over 200, then a wink and a blink later only 31!! The one year that I wouldn't mind it being stretched out a little, although I do remember it being a bit too long in previous years, so it probably is a good thing overall.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    This is by far the only season of AI (13 seasons) where 2 judges, Keith & Harry, are both honest and at the same time quite articulate in expressing music language but I also particularly like Harry's direct approach which is refreshing.

I'm rather ambivalent about Jennifer, still too nicey nicey & soft, too emotional...don't like such characteristics for a judge or any judge on any competitions for that matter. I rather have 10 of Harry.

Just saw the Top 15 Girls ep and gotta to say no standout at all, in fact to me all the chosen Top 10 are so pedestrian and some even sang out of tune! Why are some of them also so hyper...jeeez.*rolleyes*

I think it'll be the Boys' year again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is by far the only season of AI (13 seasons) where 2 judges, Keith & Harry, are both honest and at the same time quite articulate in expressing music language but I also particularly like Harry's direct approach which is refreshing.

I'm rather ambivalent about Jennifer, still too nicey nicey & soft, too emotional...don't like such characteristics for a judge or any judge on any competitions for that matter. I rather have 10 of Harry.

I think you're right, this really is the first season where they've had two skilled musicians who are able to articulate their opinions in a way that offers advice to the contestants, but also informs the public on why it was technically 'good/bad'. Harry actually reminds me of a really good teacher, or at least the kind I used to respond to. Looking back at school/college/uni, the teachers that actually made a difference to my work and learning were the ones that challenged me. It may be annoying for someone to question aspects of your work, or make you explain your reasoning, but ultimately it helps you reassess what you did, or makes you more secure because you were able to defend it. I like that about Harry, I liked it about him when he was mentoring, and now he's a judge. He could sit back, spew out clichéd comments and collect his money, but he's actually trying to make these kids think about their choices and their craft. I'll stop my HCJr fangirling...for now :D

I agree about Jennifer. I do think in comparison to previous judges she isn't too bad though, and I think being around Keith and Harry is raising her game.

Just saw the Top 15 Girls ep and gotta to say no standout at all, in fact to me all the chosen Top 10 are so pedestrian and some even sang out of tune! Why are some of them also so hyper...jeeez.*rolleyes*

I think it'll be the Boys' year again.

I just watched the Top 15 girls episode too. Is this our AI season thread now? I guess as there's not too many people about we can just use this one. I'll put my comments under spoiler tags though, just for anyone who hasn't seen it...
    I have to agree, no huge stand outs for me either. A lot of the girls I can't remember too well, and I only watched it half an hour ago!:o

Hopefully it was just a case of nerves and not knowing if they were going to sing that meant it was all a little bit 'meh'. Sometimes contestants don't come alive till the proper rounds start. There were some ok performances though that were definitely passable. I actually liked MK's performance because it did stand out as a moment of quiet reflection in a sea of twerking squeal. She chose a good song that suited her, she sang it nicely and put emotion into it. It didn't set the world on fire, but if she makes it through then I think there's a good solid base to work off.

The other performance I quite liked was Majesty. Again, it didn't make me fall off my chair, but it was competent, the song suited her and her style and it was enjoyable to watch. It didn't feel like she was trying to hard. I warmed to Jessica too. Her performance did have a lot of flaws, but I get what style she likes to do.

Kristen, Briana and Bria all blurred into one for me. They all seem like your 'average' forgettable idol contestant who just sing pop songs they can belt out a bit, without putting any thought or musicality into the structure and theme of the verses of the song. I think nerves probably played a big part again, but they've both got to improve on how they sing the majority of the song, rather than just belt out one note and hope for the best.

I was literally cheering when Harry called out Jena (Gina, Not Jenna ;P) on Paint it Black, and what she thought it meant. For me it was like she thought she should sing the song in a rock style and that would be a good interpretation as it was a rock song. When she said the song was about 'darkness' it seemed like she thought it was about just being angry. For me, it felt like she couldn't see passed the genre of the song (rock), to see how this was such a complex and poignant song about grief and a funeral. She sang it fine, but she was just skimming the service with interpreting the meaning. The lyrics to that song are beautiful in such a soul crushing way, but also in how relatable they are. They just manage to encapsulate, for me, that feeling on the day of a funeral for someone you were really close to. By the way she was bounding around the stage with a scowl, I'm not sure Jena really understood.

Marielle, I've never been a huge, huge fan of, but she can certainly do better than that. I'm pretty sure I sang Roar at my drunken work Christmas Karaoke party better than that, complete with stumbling in my heels! I just want to shake some of these contestants.

Emily I remember being actually quite impressed with in a previous round. There was some substance there. I should only imagine she received a whack on the head between now and then, because I have absolutely no idea what that performance was about. She sang that Paris song, which is fine, but again she clearly didn't have an understanding of the song. I totally get why Harry keeps harping on about that song, because for me it is a little sleazy to hear 15/16/17 year old girls sing a song that's about sex and sexuality in such a provocative manner, when they clearly don't understand it. Just by the way Emily was singing the song and moving, you could tell she wasn't putting any nuance in there. It just seems like a song for a much older woman to be singing. You learn, discover and progress a lot in your 20s in terms of sex and "sexiness". I think that's evident in the original song (even though I'm not a huge fan), but not when these young girls sing it. That's just my opinion though.

Malaya. She's young, you can tell by her personality and confidence she's young. I like her, and I like how secure she is, but the performance was very erratic, and not enjoyable to listen to.

Hopefully the boys will be better in their show! I think it'll all settle down a bit once the 'proper' lives start too. Poor Ryan seems to be just standing there and smiling at the moment, they've even taken away introducing the contestants from him, poor dear ;)Harry continues to be a voice of reason and intelligence, I just hope these kids take his advice. So interesting how he's separating his subjective opinion with his technical knowledge. Jennifer looked beautiful, but I'm think she should coordinate her wardrobe with the boys a bit more. They looked like they were off to the pub for a beer, while she looked like she was off to the Grammys! Keith still looks like he's having a whale of a time, bless him, and he's definitely speaking out more and sharing his knowledge, which I love.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I'm still watching at UK pace so, yes, if you could spoiler things or start a US thread that would be appreciated :)
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourites
    Majesty, would be happy if she gets the win, if not her either one of the three country boys or CJ. Like CJ alot.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I'm still watching at UK pace so, yes, if you could spoiler things or start a US thread that would be appreciated :)

I'm watching at UK pace too, maybe we should be the one to start the new thread? I'm always very tempted by the spoiler boxes so would be better if there were none (I haven't look at them, just tempted!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    clarky323 wrote: »
    I'm watching at UK pace too, maybe we should be the one to start the new thread? I'm always very tempted by the spoiler boxes so would be better if there were none (I haven't look at them, just tempted!)

Will try and be extra careful with US pace spoilers. I know what it's like when some idiot opens their big mouth and spoils a show you haven't seen yet. I will make my best effort not to be that idiot :D;)

Aww, sorry clarky! Didn't mean to tempt you with the spoiler boxes. I know how you feel though, it's just one click away, but you regret it afterwards.

Now clarky's started a UK Pace thread, I don't know whether to start a US one or not? I might do, even though there doesn't seem to be too many people watching, but it saves having to write everything in here under the spoiler thread. It may just be me in there...:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic post #37 blue_angel, sorry, I've only just seen it. Glad there are two threads now - will go and check out the US pace one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellie4265 wrote: »
    Fantastic post #37 blue_angel, sorry, I've only just seen it. Glad there are two threads now - will go and check out the US pace one.

Aww, thanks ellie. Yeah, it's much better having the two different threads, especially with so much time between the air dates. That way people don't have to worry about being spoiled, or spoilering for someone else.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did 5* miss an episode? Ep 8 - the round where they did their solos in Hollywood week? Our box didn't record it if it was on, and in the OnDemand thing on Virgin it was missing too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did 5* miss an episode? Ep 8 - the round where they did their solos in Hollywood week? Our box didn't record it if it was on, and in the OnDemand thing on Virgin it was missing too.

Hi, episode 8 was 'group week'. I think it was shown on 5* last Sunday.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We saw that one, then the next one was where they started telling them who was in the top 30, with clips shown from the final solo round after the group round.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw that one, then the next one was where they started telling them who was in the top 30, with clips shown from the final solo round after the group round.

They combined them this year calico. So the first time we saw what the contestants sang in the final solo round was during 'the green mile' when they told them if they made the top 30. It was in flashback mode!

It actually really threw me too when I first watched it. I thought I'd missed an episode out. Other years I remember them having the final performances all in one episode, and then the judges individually telling them in the next. They pretty much flew through the auditions and Hollywood in a month this season though, which I didn't mind too much.