Options

Ken Bruce Live From Glasgow

occyoccy Posts: 65,191
Forum Member
✭✭
Ken Bruce Radio 2 show is live from Glasgow until next Friday. He will be showcasing live bands. Today it was Hue and Cry and the lead singer sounded terrible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p023hp08

Comments

• Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    Hue and Cry were atrocious this morning, really bad vocals I have to agree.

Heard Ken yesterday doing Popmaster live with people in the audience and it took me back a bit to the old Radio 1 Roadshow days when they'd get contestants up on stage to do Bits n Pieces.

Aye, they were the days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »

Heard Ken yesterday doing Popmaster live with people in the audience and it took me back a bit to the old Radio 1 Roadshow days when they'd get contestants up on stage to do Bits n Pieces.

Aye, they were the days.

I remember bits and pieces. Went to many roadshows.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aye, they were the days.

Oh yes, summer of 84, Radio One Roadshow in Scarborough with Mike Read. Hot sunny day, attractive girlfriend with me.

Good days indeed.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member

Aye, they were the days.

Indeed that was right for the time I suppose but I always wondered how entertaining the roadshow was to listen to.

Great if you're in the 0.5% of the audience who can see Mike Read in a badly branded jacket making a tit of himself. For me living 500 miles away it never really had the same appeal.
  • Options
    PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Today it was Hue and Cry and the lead singer sounded terrible.

I switched on and heard that, then immediately switched off again..........awfull :o
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Indeed that was right for the time I suppose but I always wondered how entertaining the roadshow was to listen to.

Great if you're in the 0.5% of the audience who can see Mike Read in a badly branded jacket making a tit of himself. For me living 500 miles away it never really had the same appeal.

I always thought it depended on who was doing it, some were clearly uncomfortable doing it, others (and to give him credit, Steve Wright) really made it work.
  • Options
    ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoudn't be allowed to devote a whole show to this kind of rubbish, it excludes far too many listeners. It's another case of R2 saying 'because we like it everybody else has to'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shimano wrote: »
    Shoudn't be allowed to devote a whole show to this kind of rubbish, it excludes far too many listeners. It's another case of R2 saying 'because we like it everybody else has to'.

How much of the show was actually different though? Was it the same mudic and features? If so then it was basically the same show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is coming from the BBC studios in Glasgow he has people dropping in on the show, lyn is out and about he still has popmaster.

He is hardly standing on a stage in George square doing bits and pieces!
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    The show is coming from the BBC studios in Glasgow he has people dropping in on the show, lyn is out and about he still has popmaster.

His Wednesday Show was on stage outside Pacific Quay (was Nick Grimshaw doing the same for Radio 1?).

Would as i mentioned on previous Ken Bruce thread (how many KB threads do we need?) love even a Saturday Morning Out and About show with different R2 presenters around the country, it is a National Station, tour the nation, eight shows a year?
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    His Wednesday Show was on stage outside Pacific Quay (was Nick Grimshaw doing the same for Radio 1?).

Would as i mentioned on previous Ken Bruce thread (how many KB threads do we need?) love even a Saturday Morning Out and About show with different R2 presenters around the country, it is a National Station, tour the nation, eight shows a year?

That would have been a better idea than having the likes of John Bishop and Patrick Kielty sit in for Graham Norton. Two shoiws already sorted both from Carfest which would just leave another 6 weeks presented by Ken, Simon, Jo, Dermot, Alex & Wogan (with Wogan coming from Hyde Park in the Last Night of the Proms day).

Perhaps the BBC have blown the budget on the Commonwealth Games seemingly on 24/7 at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »

Or Newquay, or Lake Windermere :D
  • Options
    ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    How much of the show was actually different though? Was it the same mudic and features? If so then it was basically the same show.

No I suppose it wasn't too bad in the end - especially as I got 30 points on p/master. :p

Nowhere near as bad as Evans' live rubbish on Fridays.
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a Saturday morning out and about show with a different presenter each week brining back the good old days of the Radio 1 Roadshow, in answer to a question from another poster I personally thought the roadshows sounded really good when listening at home and made you wish you could be at the seaside having a dip especially on a hot day.

As I have said in the past I went to see Gary Davies[Brighton, 1987], Bruno Brookes[Margate, 1988], Phillip Schofield[Margate, 1989], Mike Read[Margate, 1990], Steve Wright[Margate, 1991], Mark Goodier[Eastbourne, 1992], Gary Davies[Blackpool, 1993], Simon Bates[Blackpool, 1993- For Blackpool Illuminations Switch On], I can not remember who it was in 1994 but who did Blackpool?, as for 1995 I saw Clive Warren in Margate and then Mark Goodier in Blackpool and Lisa I'anson in Blackpool, 1996 although 1996 should have been Nicky Campbell but he was studio bound due to having caught a bug while on holiday.

I also saw Mark Goodier in 1994 at The Cutty Sark in Greenwhich as well as was it also 1994 at The Science Museum in London as part of National Science Week, and in 1993 or was it 94 I saw Ed Stewart at Blackpool's Central Pier along with The Grumbleweeds etc.

If Radio 2 were to do a summer roadshow season during Graham's holiday we should not leave out Tony Blackburn, here is one to think of for next year Mr Shennan. Having said that would it not be even better if it was to be done in 2017 for the anniversary of BBC Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4?, time for the BBC to really think about it and put it into action.
  • Options
    bh21bh21 Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Two shoiws already sorted both from Carfest
    Omg really . oh well it'll be .cars money me . cars money me . cats money me
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does EVERY programme have to be about the games?? Shove the games onto MW and DAB and give us the usual programmes on FM! Sorted!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    I like the idea of a Saturday morning out and about show with a different presenter each week brining back the good old days of the Radio 1 Roadshow, in answer to a question from another poster I personally thought the roadshows sounded really good when listening at home and made you wish you could be at the seaside having a dip especially on a hot day.

As I have said in the past I went to see Gary Davies[Brighton, 1987], Bruno Brookes[Margate, 1988], Phillip Schofield[Margate, 1989], Mike Read[Margate, 1990], Steve Wright[Margate, 1991], Mark Goodier[Eastbourne, 1992], Gary Davies[Blackpool, 1993], Simon Bates[Blackpool, 1993- For Blackpool Illuminations Switch On], I can not remember who it was in 1994 but who did Blackpool?, as for 1995 I saw Clive Warren in Margate and then Mark Goodier in Blackpool and Lisa I'anson in Blackpool, 1996 although 1996 should have been Nicky Campbell but he was studio bound due to having caught a bug while on holiday.

I also saw Mark Goodier in 1994 at The Cutty Sark in Greenwhich as well as was it also 1994 at The Science Museum in London as part of National Science Week, and in 1993 or was it 94 I saw Ed Stewart at Blackpool's Central Pier along with The Grumbleweeds etc.

If Radio 2 were to do a summer roadshow season during Graham's holiday we should not leave out Tony Blackburn, here is one to think of for next year Mr Shennan. Having said that would it not be even better if it was to be done in 2017 for the anniversary of BBC Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4?, time for the BBC to really think about it and put it into action.

I went too see many Steve Wright in Windermere. Remember going too see Bruno and Liz in convent garden.

Back to topic Charles Nove was running the desk in London on Wednesday.

Remember Adrian Juste used to be waiting back in the studio in London incase the signal went down during the roadshows.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Remember Adrian Juste used to be waiting back in the studio in London incase the signal went down during the roadshows.
    If ever there was an insentive for the engineers to keep the feed open it's that. Dead air would have been better than Adrian.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Back to topic Charles Nove was running the desk in London on Wednesday.
    Why does anyone need to run the desk from London these days? Surely it's more than technically possibly these days to simply drive the whole show from where the presenter is located? It would help give a more natural feel to such shows too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Why does anyone need to run the desk from London these days? Surely it's more than technically possibly these days to simply drive the whole show from where the presenter is located? It would help give a more natural feel to such shows too.

Possibly with all the technology and equipment they have to move.
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if Scotland get independence can they take him as part of the package. I think he has had his day.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AL89 wrote: »
    if Scotland get independence can they take him as part of the package. I think he has had his day.

Nonsense. The Bruce will be around for years to come.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »

With a live programme, in the open air, interacting with the audience then they would probably have it done by someone else anyway so have that person back in London where they can take over if there are problems.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing needs to be physically moved (from Radio 2's studios) but these days it seems the Beeb insist on the show being 'driven' from Western House, regardless.

I assume that was even the case a few years ago when Ken presented his show from NRK's studios in Oslo, (and you can't get a safer pair of hands than NRK when it comes to provision of studio facilities)
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

What technology and equipment to move in this day and age?