Cats who stay out all night

funnyman1975funnyman1975 Posts: 108
Forum Member
Do you let your cats stay out all night?

Our 2 went out at 10.30pm and my OH was fretting that they weren't in.

We have a greenhouse that they can sleep in - my personal opinion is that they can stay out all night.

Breaking News: 01:05am - Cats came in. :yawn:

Comments

• wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felix does sometimes and he comes back at 7am looking like a dirty stop out. we do try to keep ours in over night tho. 99% of the time by 10.30 they are curled up by a radiator and sleep all night.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've long since given up on trying to control when my cats are in or out. I feel more comfortable if they are in at night and most of the time they are but if they want to go out they do. I have a cat flap so they just come and go as they please. I still keep a litter tray in the house but neither of my cats will use it. They did as kittens but once they started going out I have a piece of garden dug over especially for them and they prefer that. If I try to lock the cat flap, I just get woken up at all sorts of hours to let them out. Sometimes they are back in minutes because it was just to go to relieve themselves but other times its because they want to be out and doing their thing, whatever that might be.
    If I could keep them in at night I would but if they want to be out there isn't much I can do about it. I do worry about them though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I like my cat to be in after 11pm. I can't have a catflap but my cat can shelter under our porch. I do see several cats go through our garden at night when I am downstairs.

I think our cat likes to be in at night so he can sleep well.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have always kept my cats in at night, and generally by 11pm they are in the cat-land of nod.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my cat mainly stays in at night she goes out at 10ish and i let her in just before i go to bed, the odd time shes not been on the doorstep waiting as usual and i have found myself waiting up for her.i call her a dirty stop out :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of mine likes to stay in at night, one goes out most of the time.
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    I always wondered what my cats got up to at night, so one evening I followed him out and was disgusted to film this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-uxxiAVdfI
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to let ours stay out all night (they have a cat flap, so could get in if they wanted), but they need meds in the morning and in the summer they had often been back in, eaten and disappeared again by the time I got up, so I've had to restrict them. When the weather's good, I often still have to go out at midnight to find them, though, they love it out there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always get my cat in around 10ish

I was told that most cat accidents/deaths happen at night so it made me abit paranoid!!
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep my cats in at night as well.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before I started locking my two basement cats up for the night, oldest cat found a piece of roadkill (think it was a pigeon) right outside our house. He was obsessed with it, wouldn't leave it alone, and it was on the road, about 6 foot out from the kerb. I looked out the window before I went to bed, and he was nomming away at this thing, dodging the cars when they came. After about an hour of worrying about it, I had to get up in my dressing gown, get the pigeon into a rubbish bag and stick it in the bin where he couldn't get it - he was well miffed, but at least I could get to sleep!
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat has a cat flap so is free to come and go as she pleases but actually she LIKES to come in at night.

Normally by 10-10.30 she's in and sat in her little bed asleep.

I dont think she's ever stayed out all night (thank goodness because I would probably worry!).
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat is usually in at night, but is free to come and go.

Except for one night when I had to lock the cat flap and ground him after rescuing the fourth live mouse of the night from under my bed that he had brought in.