Options

Apple will not be launching a bigger screen iPhone any time soon says Tim Cook

2»

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a revelation that Apple won't increase the iPhone screen size at the moment. They did a big ad campaign last year about being able to use the iPhone one handed. Although most people use all phones (including iPhones) two handed most of the time anyway.

Not sure what Cook means about screen quality on larger displays. That makes little sense. True that Apple favours IPS panels over OLED variants. But I'm not aware of any size limitations. I'm sat in front of a crystal clear and bright 27" IPS display now :confused:
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    oh dear Apple are crap with things like this, who wants a 4 inch screen these days.

4.7-5.5 inch is good, it feels big at first but after a few days you could never go back to something smaller
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=andersonsonson;65540871
    4.7-5.5 inch is good, it feels big at first but after a few days you could never go back to something smaller[/QUOTE]

Funny as that's what my wife always says.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4.7''? Your poor wife :p

Cook probably meant AMOLED displays when talking about bad quality, he's known for that. But there are big IPS displays, too. It does make sense to have a bigger screen, certainly for browsing. Samsung is very successful with really big displays, it took over Apple in mobile market. So it's legitimate to ask if it is just price or phones' features, too. Having all those pixels only so that a small picture is crisp and pretty is a waste IMO.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    4.7''? Your poor wife :p

Cook probably meant AMOLED displays when talking about bad quality, he's known for that. But there are big IPS displays, too. It does make sense to have a bigger screen, certainly for browsing. Samsung is very successful with really big displays, it took over Apple in mobile market. So it's legitimate to ask if it is just price or phones' features, too. Having all those pixels only so that a small picture is crisp and pretty is a waste IMO.

Do samsung sell more big screen phones than smaller screen? Is there a breakdown of their sales available?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Do samsung sell more big screen phones than smaller screen? Is there a breakdown of their sales available?

I haven't seen any. I have noticed though that a number of iPhones around me decreased and it's mostly in favour of big Samsung phones. It means nothing of course, but at least in my area in my experience people seem to favour bigger phones. I don't think I have even seen any small Samsung phone. Galaxy S3 was a big hit, so is S4 now.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the whole transcript of what Tim Cook said on iPhone screen size:

Investor asked:

If anything has changed in your view as to that market and its place in the in smartphone world versus your 4 inch product.

Tim Cook replied:

"My view continues to be that iPhone 5 has the absolute best display in the industry. We always strive to create the very best display for our customers. Some customers value large screen size, others value also other factors such as resolution, colour quality, white balance, brightness, reflectivity, screen longevity, power consumption, compatibility with Apps many things. Our competitors have made some significant trade off's in many of these areas in order to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade off's exist".

The Q&A can be found here and is towards the end of the session:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/13houbqwdvowuhb04/event/index.html
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some customers value large screen size, others value also other factors such as resolution, colour quality, white balance, brightness, reflectivity, screen longevity, power consumption, compatibility with Apps many things.
    Lets have a bit of a look at all this...

Resolution - That's hardly an issue with larger screens.
    Colour quality - It's hard to say what he means by that but there are handsets with screens larger than 4" that have more accurate colour reproduction and support a larger colour space than the iPhone5 does.
    White balance - Again, other handsets have been shown to beat the iPhone5 in this area.
    Brightness - There are other phones with larger screens that go toe-to-toe with the iPhone5 in terms of brightness.
    Reflectivity - Has very little to do with screen size and much more to do with the choice of materials, the type of panel, construction methods etc.
    Screen longevity - Clearly a poorly-veiled comment about AMOLED panels but no longer relevant due to improvements in the technology and manufacturing processes.
    Power consumption - larger panels will use a bit more battery but most other manufacturers have found ways to offset that by fitting far larger batteries into their handsets than Apple put in the iPhones.
    App compatibility - Not an issue for Android on ICS or later due to the ability to scale apps. It might be an issue for iOS but that's no-one's fault but Apple's.

All in all, a pretty sorry set of excuses.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

"My view continues to be that iPhone 5 has the absolute best display in the industry. We always strive to create the very best display for our customers. Some customers value large screen size, others value also other factors such as resolution, colour quality, white balance, brightness, reflectivity, screen longevity, power consumption, compatibility with Apps many things. Our competitors have made some significant trade off's in many of these areas in order to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade off's exist".[/B]

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/13houbqwdvowuhb04/event/index.html

So they will not cater for those customers who value larger screens then, nice one apple.

That is such a poor outdated view of the modern smartphone it shows why apple is where I it is today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim Cook replied:

"My view continues to be that iPhone 5 has the absolute best display in the industry. We always strive to create the very best display for our customers. Some customers value large screen size, others value also other factors such as resolution, colour quality, white balance, brightness, reflectivity, screen longevity, power consumption, compatibility with Apps many things. Our competitors have made some significant trade off's in many of these areas in order to ship a larger display. We would not ship a larger display iPhone while these trade off's exist".

True Applespeak, he can really bullshit with the best of them. He'll hit you with all those words so you forget what you were asking in the first place. So basically they won't change it, because their customers would suffer. From higher PPI among other things..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    So they will not cater for those customers who value larger screens then, nice one apple.

That is such a poor outdated view of the modern smartphone it shows why apple is where I it is today.

Apple are very dogmatic. This sort of thing will be their downfall. Clearly there is a market for larger screens and Apple have chosen a sundry list of poor excuses in an attempt to justify their position. Especially as they produce products such as iPads with large screens!

So it looks like Apple are unlikely to release the 5S with a larger screen which is not really surprising. Apple will ignore this market and probably loose sales as a result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    Lets have a bit of a look at all this...

Resolution - That's hardly an issue with larger screens.
    Colour quality - It's hard to say what he means by that but there are handsets with screens larger than 4" that have more accurate colour reproduction and support a larger colour space than the iPhone5 does.
    White balance - Again, other handsets have been shown to beat the iPhone5 in this area.
    Brightness - There are other phones with larger screens that go toe-to-toe with the iPhone5 in terms of brightness.
    Reflectivity - Has very little to do with screen size and much more to do with the choice of materials, the type of panel, construction methods etc.
    Screen longevity - Clearly a poorly-veiled comment about AMOLED panels but no longer relevant due to improvements in the technology and manufacturing processes.
    Power consumption - larger panels will use a bit more battery but most other manufacturers have found ways to offset that by fitting far larger batteries into their handsets than Apple put in the iPhones.
    App compatibility - Not an issue for Android on ICS or later due to the ability to scale apps. It might be an issue for iOS but that's no-one's fault but Apple's.

All in all, a pretty sorry set of excuses.

Yes that pretty much sums up Apple's poor excuses :D
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a thread about this weeks ago?
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Not really a revelation that Apple won't increase the iPhone screen size at the moment. They did a big ad campaign last year about being able to use the iPhone one handed. Although most people use all phones (including iPhones) two handed most of the time anyway.

Not sure what Cook means about screen quality on larger displays. That makes little sense. True that Apple favours IPS panels over OLED variants. But I'm not aware of any size limitations. I'm sat in front of a crystal clear and bright 27" IPS display now :confused:

yes, but it is very convenient to use it one handed when you're out and about, it does annoy me how there isn't a top end iphone-sized android device or at least one thats half way between an iphone size and a S4 size
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    I've read many reviews which says it has the best screen. Got do with fact that apple say larger screens are crap when they clearly aren't

Some larger screens are and some aren't

All he is saying is that Apple are not happy with the quality of the screen bigger than what they use on the iPhone 5 but they are not talking about laptop size screens.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I guess they don't want it to effect their iPad sales.

If they bought out an iPhone with a larger screen people will think "why do I need an iPad"?

I hardly even use my PC now (only use my S3 and it's always with me).

Why would Apple think that nott not say Samsung?
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

In fairness Samsung have clogged market between and a phone and tablet and really blurred the line a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some larger screens are and some aren't

All he is saying is that Apple are not happy with the quality of the screen bigger than what they use on the iPhone 5 but they are not talking about laptop size screens.

Glad you made sense of it perhaps you can explain exactly what they are not happy about then? The fact those larger screens are superior to the iPhone screen is that what they are unhappy about?
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apple and samsung have totally different business strategies. Apple release a few key products once a year and sell at a premium price where as samsung try to target the whole spectrum with their various handsets. With apple it's a one size fits all approach and with samsung it's a there is something in our range of phones to suit everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having seen the s4 screen today this comment looks even more ludicrous simply amazing display I wonder if it was made with this in mind
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumour has it Sharp are going to start production of LCD screen for the next iPhone in June with more speculation that some screens already being in production. Looks like Apple may well be sticking to LCDs as usual!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/08/sharp-rumor-iphone-screens-2013/