Options

nexus 10

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    A dual core is good enough for a lot of people's needs unless you want to play hard core games.

I swapped out my original galaxy tab a few months ago because it had stability issues and the replacement has been very smooth and snappy. Not as good as my ipad mini but still quite stellar. Doesn't the ipad 4 only have an 'old dual core chipset' by android standards and that is a beast in terms of performance.
    It's not just the number of cores;the Nexus 10 has dual core A15s which trounces most quad cores out there. The reason it's important is to do with Web page rendering. I know because I own a tegra2 Xoom, which even over clocked struggles with more graphic intensive website. So trust me, the galaxy tab 2 10.1 which features an equivalent chips et is a very poor choice for today's market and I'd slap anyone who recommend one.
  • Options
    biawhiskabiawhiska Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    That wouldn't be an issue with the screen so thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not just the number of cores;the Nexus 10 has dual core A15s which trounces most quad cores out there. The reason it's important is to do with Web page rendering. I know because I own a tegra2 Xoom, which even over clocked struggles with more graphic intensive website. So trust me, the galaxy tab 2 10.1 which features an equivalent chips et is a very poor choice for today's market and I'd slap anyone who recommend one.

Lol well he is on about getting the galaxy note 10.1 now.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would genuinely hang on for one week, the Toshiba Excite Pro will be out on Friday. If the reviews are good then it's the best to get for £350.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    If there's one thing I know about, its software development. Over 30 years experience on a variety of platforms. However I've never had the time or inclination to look into Android development.

Is the Android toolset really that poor? Normally targeting different resolutions hasn't been a problem, and I still maintain that its down to lazy coding. It must be trivial to detect the device resolution and amend accordingly; if it isn't, then yes - Androids developer toolset is seriously below par.

PC developers have tended to put together their own toolsets ..... nothing to stop Android developers going that route if they were so inclined. But they won't, as developers these days are lazy.

Do you really know about software development doesn't sound like it to me ?

It's pretty insulting and ignorant to call developers lazy. Generally it's managers and commercial people who decide how the development resources are used. Developers are quite happy to develop Android. There are many indie developers who do great stuff for the android platform just for the love of the challenge and there are some really interesting but commercially non viable apps available for Android probably more so than iOS.

BUT, most of us work on commercial products and time is money. So clearly if it take more effort to produce the android version of a commercial project say compared to the iOS version then they will concentrate on the iOS first. That's a commercial call added to what they believe the income received will be.

The android tool set, mainly eclipse is good but all free ware and quite clunky, and if you really want performance its trickier to develop native c apps for android. It takes a lot of tweaking and to get working and If I'm being honest isn't anywhere near as slick as X code is say for the iOS dev which compiles straight to native code. Games are more on a level playing field as there are commercial libraries available( but expensive) that allow you to develop and deploy to both platforms. Even so there are libraries like cocos2d with great out of the box support for iOS if you want to do a physics type of game with spite support and collision detection and so on

PC developers put together their own tool sets do me a favour? depends on what you're developing but look at visual studio, easily the slickest and most productive ide around more so than any thing available for android or mac. If there is one thing Microsoft are brilliant at it's their development tools.

Google realise there is problem and are busy producing slicker tool sets to make it easier to develop on multi anrdoid devices.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dual core is good enough for a lot of people's needs unless you want to play hard core games.
    Gaming GPU needs are infinite.

A main problem is that it comes without a controller, so the price is really £140+
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would genuinely hang on for one week, the Toshiba Excite Pro will be out on Friday. If the reviews are good then it's the best to get for £350.

Ain't getting one til end of the month anyway. Yeah seen it, looks good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spendleb wrote: »
    I've got the Nexus 10 and can't fault it, brilliant piece of kit.

Does twitter app work on it? Heard somewhere lots of apps are weird on it
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Do you really know about software development doesn't sound like it to me ?

It's pretty insulting and ignorant to call developers lazy. Generally it's managers and commercial people who decide how the development resources are used. Developers are quite happy to develop Android. There are many indie developers who do great stuff for the android platform just for the love of the challenge and there are some really interesting but commercially non viable apps available for Android probably more so than iOS.

BUT, most of us work on commercial products and time is money. So clearly if it take more effort to produce the android version of a commercial project say compared to the iOS version then they will concentrate on the iOS first. That's a commercial call added to what they believe the income received will be.

The android tool set, mainly eclipse is good but all free ware and quite clunky, and if you really want performance its trickier to develop native c apps for android. It takes a lot of tweaking and to get working and If I'm being honest isn't anywhere near as slick as X code is say for the iOS dev which compiles straight to native code. Games are more on a level playing field as there are commercial libraries available( but expensive) that allow you to develop and deploy to both platforms. Even so there are libraries like cocos2d with great out of the box support for iOS if you want to do a physics type of game with spite support and collision detection and so on

PC developers put together their own tool sets do me a favour? depends on what you're developing but look at visual studio, easily the slickest and most productive ide around more so than any thing available for android or mac. If there is one thing Microsoft are brilliant at it's their development tools.

Google realise there is problem and are busy producing slicker tool sets to make it easier to develop on multi anrdoid devices.

Oh, its eclipse based. I use that daily, and also used it (for AS/400 development) at a previous employer. Not exactly what you'd call high quality .... its one size that definitely does not fit all particularly well (at least it hasn't in my scenarios).

Yes, management can always be blamed, but I know so many lousy developers - only ever interested in doing the bare minimum. "Does it work" is often good enough - whereas the few developers that go the extra mile and make sure it works well - those are relatively rare.

When I talked about PC developers, I was talking about gaming - haven't used visual studio in years, but do remember it being very good. Long since moved to very dedicated development systems (which quite often suck in many ways, but we're stuck with them).

And there is the one other crucial element - Android, despite its larger presence in the market - just isn't as profitable for the developers, hence their normally targeting iOS first. If you can't make as much money from Android, then no real surprise that they aren't (in general) trying as hard on the Android ports.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, its eclipse based. I use that daily, and also used it (for AS/400 development) at a previous employer. Not exactly what you'd call high quality .... its one size that definitely does not fit all particularly well (at least it hasn't in my scenarios).

Yes, management can always be blamed, but I know so many lousy developers - only ever interested in doing the bare minimum. "Does it work" is often good enough - whereas the few developers that go the extra mile and make sure it works well - those are relatively rare.

When I talked about PC developers, I was talking about gaming - haven't used visual studio in years, but do remember it being very good. Long since moved to very dedicated development systems (which quite often suck in many ways, but we're stuck with them).

And there is the one other crucial element - Android, despite its larger presence in the market - just isn't as profitable for the developers, hence their normally targeting iOS first. If you can't make as much money from Android, then no real surprise that they aren't (in general) trying as hard on the Android ports.

This one I couldn't agree more on. The path of least resistance cut'n'paste developers who appear to the management to be quick, but they just don't do it right and before you know it the code becomes an unmanageable mess.

I lucky to work in an environment where we try and do it right.

From what I understand google are trying to develop a professional and slick ide specifically for Android development with more advanced simulators and multi device testing facilities. Perhaps some nice wrappers around the openGL libraries to make the games development a bit less obtuse and so on.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Gaming GPU needs are infinite.

A main problem is that it comes without a controller, so the price is really £140+

Mine aren't. They consist of the occasional game of angry birds plants vs zombies or battleships and I get bored easily! Lol
  • Options
    flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    From what I understand google are trying to develop a professional and slick ide specifically for Android development with more advanced simulators and multi device testing facilities.

They are indeed, and you can download a preview of it now if you want to have a play with it. I'm a tinkerer, not a developer by any means, but it seems very good - especially for such an early build. The multi device previews in particular are very good - you can see how your app will look on everything from an original Nexus One to a N10 and everything in between. If it lives up to the promise, and developers use it properly, it should be the final nail in the coffin of the idea that something is a "tablet app" or a "phone app"
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not denying it's poor by today's standards but the processor and resolution would do what the poster wanted. Personally, it wouldn't be powerful enough for me. She might want to wait for the Tab 3 though (as stated)...

I own the Galaxy Note 10.1 and it's an excellent tablet I'd certainly recommend. People complained about the poor 'cheap feeling' build quality but for me it hasn't really been an issue. I also agree with other posters that the lack of a higher resolution display doesn't matter. Samsung had to keep the cost low due to the price of the Wacom digitizer (something which few tablets have). The Note is a definite improvement over my Asus Transformer Pad TF300, which suffered lock ups and creaking. There's also 2GB of RAM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    I'm not denying it's poor by today's standards but the processor and resolution would do what the poster wanted. Personally, it wouldn't be powerful enough for me. She might want to wait for the Tab 3 though (as stated)...

I own the Galaxy Note 10.1 and it's an excellent tablet I'd certainly recommend. People complained about the poor 'cheap feeling' build quality but for me it hasn't really been an issue. I also agree with other posters that the lack of a higher resolution display doesn't matter. Samsung had to keep the cost low due to the price of the Wacom digitizer (something which few tablets have). The Note is a definite improvement over my Asus Transformer Pad TF300, which suffered lock ups and creaking. There's also 2GB of RAM.

That was the point I was making. Of course there are better chipsets out there which provide better value for money. However for someone like myself and the op's boyfriend it would suffice. Aside from my specific issues with the nexus 7, it's quad core processor was probably wasted on someone like me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll stress again, a more powerful chipset isn't just for gaming; web page rendering also needs it.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/galaxy-tab-2-review-benchmark,3278-3.html

Above link is more about gaming performance but it also highlights the fact that OMAP chipset on the Tab 2 struggles with Hi resolution videos. If you intend to keep a tablet for about 2 years then why invest on one today which has tech from two generations ago? Doesn't make sense unless you're getting it for dirt cheap, otherwise it's just false economy.
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stress again, a more powerful chipset isn't just for gaming; web page rendering also needs it.

Above link is more about gaming performance but it also highlights the fact that OMAP chipset on the Tab 2 struggles with Hi resolution videos. If you intend to keep a tablet for about 2 years then why invest on one today which has tech from two generations ago? Doesn't make sense unless you're getting it for dirt cheap, otherwise it's just false economy.

I agree with this but the she had a usage scenario which the tablet matched. Hence why I suggested it.

She will also probably upgrade at a later date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I kind of agree. If I were buying a 10 inch tablet today I would have to take into account the ageing specs on the galaxy tab but I've had mine for a year already. I've not had any problems playing high resolution videos on it though. It plays 720 p from YouTube flawlessly. I also have some 1080p videos that I've converted and uploaded onto it and it plays those without any problems. In fact video play back is probably its strongest point for me. Everything else it does is adequate but it shines in video playback.

Thanks for posting the article. I will have a read.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've worked in visual studio daily for the past 14 years and its amazing compared to eclipse which i've briefly worked in for some android stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I have the nexus 10 and it's an amazing device.
    After playing about with mine my sister, went and got one.
    It's a shame it is not sold in shops as a lot of people do not know about it. It's better than t he iPad (in my opinion). I opted for the 32GB option and will purchase another android tab (preferably a nexus) in the future. Only thing that let's it down is no 3g/HSPA option.