Options

Irish Soap Red Rock to be showing on UK screens later this year (2016) BBC

Comments

• Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK viewers are in for a treat. It blows all other soaps out of the water thanks to excellent production values, gripping storylines and terrific acting. It has quite a Nordic Noir feel about it and has been critically acclaimed here in Ireland.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Soap" is probably not even doing it justice. It's more like an episodic drama series, shot on film and has background music and everything.

The way it's being shown on BBC1 won't make it feel like a soap either, it will be broadcast as 40 one hour episodes.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait, even if we will be like 2 years behind
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Rock will be aired on BBC1 as early as this summer and will be shown daily in one hour episodes for eight weeks :

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/bbc-one-to-show-red-rock-in-daily-summer-lunchtime-slot-1.2600611
  • Options
    Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait, even if we will be like 2 years behind

How does it air in Ireland? Surely BBC could screen episodes at an accelerated rate until they are in sync with Ireland?
  • Options
    Corrie_Fan2Corrie_Fan2 Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Red Rock will be aired on BBC1 as early as this summer and will be shown daily in one hour episodes for eight weeks :

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/bbc-one-to-show-red-rock-in-daily-summer-lunchtime-slot-1.2600611

What happens when it inevitably catches up with the main series, will they cut the broadcasts down to match or keep it back for a few years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens when it inevitably catches up with the main series, will they cut the broadcasts down to match or keep it back for a few years?

It looks like they will have to wait until early to mid 2017 if they want to air a second series in this format : there's talk that Red Rock may soon switch to 150 22 minute episodes per year in Ireland, which would certainly allow them go for another summer run next year.

Then again, there's no rule that the BBC have to show it in one hour segments so I guess anything is possible in future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good_boys wrote: »
    How does it air in Ireland? Surely BBC could screen episodes at an accelerated rate until they are in sync with Ireland?

At the moment, it's only twice a week in Ireland but is rumoured to soon switch to three episodes per week.
  • Options
    Mr PatrickMr Patrick Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it Hope The UK Viewers loves it
  • Options
    judy08judy08 Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    This is a quality programme. I just hope if they start airing 3 episodes a week the writing doesn't suffer.
  • Options
    Good_boysGood_boys Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they would be stupid to keep it behind Ireland whey they don't need to. Many will just watch online rather than the BBC episodes which would defeat the purpose.
  • Options
    Zeus89Zeus89 Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nevee heard of it, how good is it?
    And can i find it online?
  • Options
    Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last, I've heard nothing but good things about it, I'll be watching :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus89 wrote: »
    Nevee heard of it, how good is it?
    And can i find it online?

Very good indeed. It has excellent production values and is more like a drama series than a "soap".

Here's the very first episode to give you a flavour :

http://vodlocker.com/znk08qj8ou9p