Thought I'd join in.:D
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Aftershave 'for men'

Outrageous >:(

Thought I'd join in.:D

But it's not talking about things like aftershave is it? That's something men are likely to use over women.

This just looks like it's making fun of those products that shouldn't even be gendered - Like those 'pens for women' that people took the piss out of ages ago.

"cotton buds for men" :D
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    But it's not talking about things like aftershave is it? That's something men are likely to use over women.

This just looks like it's making fun of those products that shouldn't even be gendered - Like those 'pens for women' that people took the piss out of ages ago.

I suppose shower gel neednt be gendered, but then again the scent of the shower gel would have to appeal to both men and women and I've got no idea what scent that would be.

I actually like having womens toiletries and mens toiletries available. Obviously everyone can see the difference because of the smell and the packaging.

Perfumes are the same, well the vast majority are anyway.

The only mens toiletries I'd gladly use would be their razors as they seem to be better than the fragile womens ones.....!
  • jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Someone needs to sell "Eyes out of the back of the head for men" to even thing's up.

lol
  • jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I suppose shower gel neednt be gendered, but then again the scent of the shower gel would have to appeal to both men and women and I've got no idea what scent that would be.

I actually like having womens toiletries and mens toiletries available. Obviously everyone can see the difference because of the smell and the packaging.

The only mens toiletries I'd gladly use would be their razors as they seem to be better than the fragile womens ones.....!
    Better.. because they cost like 12 quid. :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it makes sense for perfumed things to be gendered for sure. But yeah, pens and cotton buds? :D

I agree about the razors. Wanted to shave my legs quickly before I went swimming once and the only razors in the shop were mens. Never went back to women's ones again - the cheap mens ones just seem better than the cheap womens ones!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody whose opinions are important posts them on Twitter.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I think it makes sense for perfumed things to be gendered for sure. But yeah, pens and cotton buds? :D

I agree about the razors. Wanted to shave my legs quickly before I went swimming once and the only razors in the shop were mens. Never went back to women's ones again - the cheap mens ones just seem better than the cheap womens ones!
    I do agree about the cotton wool buds are safe to be non gender specific....

I will still feel wholly womanly and with my feminine wiles intact should I ever feel the need to buy manly cotton wool buds...............:);-)

I would love to know the difference though......:confused:

And as for pens?? I give up ^_^^_^
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What like shower gel which is mentioned?

I'd also say those things have been marketed toward women for a long time, it's only in relatively recent times that a market has opened up there with men. With a change in market why on earth would they keep the same marketing techniques.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Speaking of razors, that's the other way around.

There are a whole host move female targeted products in this area that have sprung up in a way male ones have elsewhere. I'd find it odd if a load of people went on twitter mocking 'lady shavers' and women that use them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many such things though no doubt been targeted at women, be it subtly, for years though, it wouldn't make any sense if they weren't as this is where the market has largely been.

It's only recent times a male market has opened here with men and so the starting point is not going to be 'gender neutral'. There would have been some real terrible marketing going on if it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What like shower gel which is mentioned?

I am just talking about things I feel don't need to be gendered. I'm sure there are people out there that think shower gels shouldn't be gendered for whatever reason, but I am not one of them.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Its just a bunch of sexist feminists looking for a way to bash men. For each of the products they list there are equivelents marketed towards females so what is their point? Desperate to show their sexism off to each other is all
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    The "pink tax" is nonsense - any "price gap" is down to the free choices men and women make in consuming goods and services, taking into account the different ways men and women think. It is not down to sexism, hatred of women by businesses or patriarchy.

The reason why women pay more than men is that women expect more from a product, as an experience. These products and experiences cost more in ingredients, labour and time which cost money. Men tend to use goods and services for practicality and as such uses less ingredients, labour and time - hence they cost less. For example, women tend to go to the hairdressers for a new hairstyle with various services and the experience within. This takes time, labour and costs money. Men tend to just go into a hairdressers, have a straightforward cut and leave - this takes less time, labour and costs less money. A woman could go to a hairdressers to have a short back and sides and pay the same as a man. A man could have the works done to his hair and he'll pay the same as a woman having the same hair style.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twatter is named thus for a reason.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I will still feel wholly womanly and with my feminine wiles intact should I ever feel the need to buy manly cotton wool buds...............:);-)

I would love to know the difference though......:confused:

And as for pens?? I give up ^_^^_^

I bought a Parker pen recently but after trying it is found it too slim, short and light for my taste. My wife was very happy with it though. I found another one more to my liking.
    What do you make of that?
  • seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the difference in, say, scents / body care products or razors aimed at men. Other things (like scented candles "MANdles") or yoghurt ("BROghurt!") are a bit ridiculous IMO ...
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand the difference in, say, scents / body care products or razors aimed at men. Other things (like scented candles "MANdles") or yoghurt ("BROghurt!") are a bit ridiculous IMO ...

Not at all. Broghurt compliments healthy, manly bacteria that destroy harmful beta cells and stimulates alpha cell growth, giving a better, more rugged complexion.

I should so be marketing this stuff!
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter users are mocking 'masculine' toiletries and snacks aimed at men

Student Carolyn Hanson seemed rather bemused by a men's 'body and face bar' by Palmer's, joking: 'Masculinity is so fragile,

Make-up artist Amy Gary
    'What happens if I, a mere woman, were to use this manly (gendered, for some reason) product?'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3606217/Twitter-users-mock-pointlessly-gendered-products-MEN.html

I don't get it. There are many more products marketed at women.

They mock it because it's a bit silly at times. When it's for women they derisively call it "pink it and shrink it".

https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/marketing-to-women-pink-it-shrink-it/
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When out running on a hot day I find the R Spluggs brand of male tampons to be so much better at preventing anal dribble than the female ones, which expand rather too much and tend to put one off one's stride.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When one considers all the countless female gender related products in this area, that swamps male numbers a thousand+ fold, it really does show how bigoted some can be toward men.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twitter users are mocking 'masculine' toiletries and snacks aimed at men

Student Carolyn Hanson seemed rather bemused by a men's 'body and face bar' by Palmer's, joking: 'Masculinity is so fragile,

Make-up artist Amy Gary
    'What happens if I, a mere woman, were to use this manly (gendered, for some reason) product?'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3606217/Twitter-users-mock-pointlessly-gendered-products-MEN.html

I don't get it. There are many more products marketed at women.

If men want to buy some crappy product marketed towards men then let them get on with it. I don't get why it's an excuse to mock men. Sounds like such a triviality to me.
    There have been plenty of products over the years which have been marketed to women, but in reality seem to be quite uni-sex to me.
    It's not like men themselves are demanding these products, it's the brands themselves who are trying to find a new way for advertisers to market the products. Like how they managed to get people to actually buy bottled water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    They mock it because it's a bit silly at times. When it's for women they derisively call it "pink it and shrink it".

What, shower gel for men?

Pretty much the over whelming bulk of products in this area are geared toward women as that has been the market in the last 100+ years.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, shower gel for men?

No. Or mens clothes. But things like "male" cotton buds or a pink "women" usb cable is silly to me. You'll probably pay more for it to be branded by your gender too. But that's up to you. There's one born every minute they say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    No. Or men clothes. But things like "male" cotton buds or a pink "women" usb cable is silly to me. You'll probably pay more for it to be branded by your gender too. But that's up to you.

I think it a bit of a fallacy to consider such things 'neutral'. They've always been marketed, and that market has no doubt dictated things to a certain degree.

From what I know of them historically they largely come in a baby pink or baby blue. and don't have a history of appearing in men's cosmetic shelves.

Markets are now changing a little, hence the remarketing.