My Alsation Zinda has a twisted gut.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has not been happy for a few hours so took him to the emergency vet. X Rays have confirmed he has a twisted gut.

He's being operated on now, the vet says he has a good chance of survival as we caught it so quick.

Just a case of waiting now:(:(:(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    My goodness. Thats awful. What were the symptoms if you don't mind me asking?

I am pleased you realised so quickly and things are looking a bit more positive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    awe hope he has a speedy recovery, keep us posted on his condition
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear how upsetting woodbush, I really hope your dog comes through the op alright.
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Has not been happy for a few hours so took him to the emergency vet. X Rays have confirmed he has a twisted gut.

He's being operated on now, the vet says he has a good chance of survival as we caught it so quick.

Just a case of waiting now:(:(:(

I hope everything goes well for Zinda.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wishing Zinda and quick and successful recovery, and much love and good wishes for you and your family woodbush. Please let us know how he gets on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a call from the vet. Op went OK and he's coming out of sedation.

Will have to just wait and see now.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Symptoms were, he kept wanting to do a No2 but couldn't and he was uncomfortable when lying down. He just wasn't as bright as he should have been. Didn't know what is was until the X Ray.
    It only happened a few hours before taking him to the vet, we are on holiday and the excitment of meeting relatives may just have been enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable to think something as simple as that could have brought it on.

Glad the op seems to have gone well, hope she makes a speedy recovery. One holiday you wont forget in a hurry!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Speedy recovery and lots of fuss for Zinda!

Best wishes

piper
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, just going to have a wee dram to calm the nerves a bit.

Will anxiously await the phone call tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable to think something as simple as that could have brought it on.

Glad the op seems to have gone well, hope she makes a speedy recovery. One holiday you wont forget in a hurry!

Yes it is. He's had a couple of stiches to stop it happening again. Quite common in larger dogs they say.
    Thanks for the good wishes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update. He's had a settled night and temperateure and heartbeat are normal. Just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Here's hoping he has a quiet day today and we can get him back tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    Update. He's had a settled night and temperateure and heartbeat are normal. Just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Here's hoping he has a quiet day today and we can get him back tomorrow.

Sounds as if everything is going well, excellent.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds as if everything is going well, excellent.:)

Must be doing OK as no calls back from the vets.

Here is a picture of him
  • inky winkyinky winky Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    He's beautiful woodbush. I've got everything crossed for him. Having lost one to bloat (twisted gut) that I picked up on within 20 minutes I am so happy that he is doing well :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    inky winky wrote: »
    He's beautiful woodbush. I've got everything crossed for him. Having lost one to bloat (twisted gut) that I picked up on within 20 minutes I am so happy that he is doing well :)

Thanks for that.

The emergency vet was brilliant. It shows how lucky we were to catch it so quickly.
    Forum Member
    Must be doing OK as no calls back from the vets.

Here is a picture of him

Oh he is beautiful, not as beautiful as my yellow lab though:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news, he's coming home today. Going to pick him up shortly.

It's been really strange not having him around. Holiday ended and return home tomorrow if vet allows.
  • ianinclevelandianincleveland Posts: 21,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awww Zinda looks lovely,glad hes on the mend and on his way home,didnt know excitement could cause it though.Is apparently very common in St Bernards.

They do say that food bowls should be put on a stand to aid digestion
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awww Zinda looks lovely,glad hes on the mend and on his way home,didnt know excitement could cause it though.Is apparently very common in St Bernards.

I think he must have slipped on the laminate floor in his excitement of meeting the family.

I would need to put his stand in a big tray, he's the messiest drinker i've ever known.

He's home now and has settled down, it's amazing how quickly they recover.

The vet we used was Ingles in Dunfermline, very impressed by the service.
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear he's recovering well.
    Forum Member

Yes, we put our labrador's food bowl on a stand and we give him 2 smaller meals a day, one in the morning and one in the evening. It's something to do with the big dogs having to bend to eat, not sure though.
  • inky winkyinky winky Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Another thing to bear in mind is never exercise immediately after feeding. Give them at least an hour to digest their food before going out for a walk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update.

He's doing well back home. Can only have tiny meals (chicken) and small amounts of water until internal recovery.

It's a great relief that he's getting brighter every day. Have to restrict his exercise for the next 10 days then all should be back to normal.
    Forum Member
    Update.

He's doing well back home. Can only have tiny meals (chicken) and small amounts of water until internal recovery.

It's a great relief that he's getting brighter every day. Have to restrict his exercise for the next 10 days then all should be back to normal.

Wonderful news:)
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 200,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update.

Thats great news ..........WB :)