Wanted Down Under: snobby Poms get my goat

1141516171820»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    Shame that programme shows it as all so easy just to emigrate.

My son lives & works over there and we're trying to find a way to get to live over there.

My wife and I are both over 50, which is one of their cut off points. My wife is retired and I'm semi retired but havent got a career they want on their lists. It cost £000's to get the relevant visas, money we havent got at the moment.

However, we're still researching various things.

I think this programme is for people looking to move based on their work skills being required in Australia, so, unfortunately, it isn't going to help you and your situation. Still, good luck and hope it turns out well for you.
  • kazzykazzy Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a 2 year old repeat today, would have been nice to do an update at the end, unless they are going to show them in yet another episode!
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    I have only been half watching this and heard they didn't like Australia so came back and thought I was hearing things when they said were going back, lets hope these idiots stay there this time.

They were only there 2 months before deciding to come back !
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sorry for the boy today, I think she is still relying on him too much, he should be out with people his own age at weekends not hanging about with his mother.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    I felt sorry for the boy today, I think she is still relying on him too much, he should be out with people his own age at weekends not hanging about with his mother.

Moving to Australia seems to have been the best thing for both of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moving to Australia seems to have been the best thing for both of them.

Maybe but she is still relying on him to be her companion.
  • PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I really liked this lady and her son, I thought it was ridiculous to film her after her only being there for 2 months . She's still in holiday mode then!
    I also can't believe that she didn't do her research properly and didn't know that you have to pay for a all school equipment, books, pens etc!

They should have filmed her a year later when we could find out how the tropical rain etc affected her S.A. D.

The fellow expat they showed her with said that they "liked to have a whinge together". Why wasn't this focused on more? Oh no, its a all rosy with the BBC..........

The following thread from a Expat site is food for thought for any wannabe migrants. It only echoes what I have been hearing from friends in Oz. Things are taking a big downturn down there but you wont hear about it in the mainstream media.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/178114-dont-come-without-job-australia-not-working.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picklebum
    An old school friend moved out there 2 years ago and used to post how wonderful it was, she hadn't posted much on her Facebook page over the past year but last week she mentioned something about "watching 'Daybreak' the breakfast programme, when I asked her if she was over for a holiday she said they hated it after the novelty had worn off and moved back just before Christmas as it wasn't what they expected at all.