Castaway loses prime time slot

sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
Forum Member
✭✭
From the Sun

Just seen this - it looks like we are only going to get 3 shows a week from now on according to this. It's a shame, I had really looked forward to this series, but itdoesn't really seem to have worked.

Comments

• TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not suprising really. If you watch the 'Last 24 hours' on BBC3, by Sunday you've seen 75% of the show. They're also competing with the new season of 24 on Sky One as the same time. And finally, it's not Castaway as everyone remembers it, more a mix of Big Brother and Shipwrecked.
  • nytramfilmsnytramfilms Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The problem is that they have made big brother on an island. Many viewers are quite tired of this kinda fake format.
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by DiGiTaL
    Not suprising really. If you watch the 'Last 24 hours' on BBC3, by Sunday you've seen 75% of the show. They're also competing with the new season of 24 on Sky One as the same time. And finally, it's not Castaway as everyone remembers it, more a mix of Big Brother and Shipwrecked.

This is very true - I didnt bother watching the 'Last 24 Hours' shows because I was seeing the same thing on Sunday - we were only getting around 30 minutes of new footage.

The original Castaway was superb, most of them had a trade and pulled together to build a community, but RTV has moved on so much in the last 7 years, nothing is as pure and unassuming anymore - most RTV contestants go on these shows to get something in the world of showbiz at the end of it. Very few RTV contestants have gone back to their previous jobs, they see these shows as an easy way to create 15 minutes of fame for themselves, regardless of what they have to do to become semi-famous, and regardless of how many people have ruined their lives due to trying to be something they're not.

I've enjoyed Castaway so far, but I think some of the contestants seem to have took the wrong turning and accidentally ended up in Cataway instead of Big Brother, these people seem to be Gemma and the annoying buffoon that is Jonathan - we've all seen nasty Nick - we've been there and done that, we dont need another panto villan! :mad:
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    castaway one was an interesting experiment, a real community with real families etc... castaway 2 is just like big brother / shipwrecked - they even had a pointless eviction. Its not the same show it was.

I am not surprised at the low viewing figures, those that enjoyed series 1 wont necesairly enjoy this one, its too different. And those that tried series 1 and didnt like it (but do like BB) wont have even tried to watch castaway 2.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun_Beam wrote:
    The original Castaway was superb, most of them had a trade and pulled together to build a community, but RTV has moved on so much in the last 7 years, nothing is as pure and unassuming anymore

True - the original Castaway was one of the very first RTV shows in the UK so it was something of a novelty to see 'real' people interacting as if the camera wasn't there and the show could afford to be slow by today's standards with no outside interference or challenges. But the format has evolved so quickly in 7 years, a by product perhaps of it being so pervasive, that it seems we now can't do without the smart-ass presenter, internal votes to stir disharmony and a collection of people who seem hand picked to create tension.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling that this is the final series of Castaway
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    aran wrote:
    I have a feeling that this is the final series of Castaway

I expect you're right............

Still think it's a good concept, but I don't think we should be too misty-eyed about the original series..........I watched it and enjoyed it, but it was damned annoying when you were just getting into it and they announce that the next programme will be in 3 months time............ :rolleyes:

The new schedule actually looks better if you include the BBC3 programmes.........we'll be getting 6 half hour shows per week, every night except saturday (?)..........though I guess we still have to wait and see if the BBC1 show just repeats what was on the previous nights BBC3 show or vice versa..........
  • JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    I think it is a shame really.

I love all RTV programs but I feel there's so much wrong with Castaway.

If a few cameras were left to run and we were witness to all without commentary, I don't see that it is any less fascinating than any other RTV show in itself.

It's everywhere that it fails and collapses. The promoting of it is dire (I always stumble on it by accident...and then when I think it's on, it's not)...very bloody confusing :confused:

And also the whole presentation of it is.......OFF. :eek:

The background music makes you want to kill yourself...and that geezer presenter? Well maybe he would be alright if we seen more of him (i.e. a grow on you factor...and if the music wasn't so awful).

So in summary, I think it has or had great potential in itself as an idea...if they could have sorted out some of the above failings...I'm sure there are many more with those of you who have regularly watched it and see what the failings are. But as a partial viewer, this is my initial opinion and it hasn't changed throughout the series since it began.

What a waste of a potentially great RTV show :(
  • rosieeeerosieeee Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote:
    castaway one was an interesting experiment, a real community with real families etc... castaway 2 is just like big brother / shipwrecked - they even had a pointless eviction. Its not the same show it was.

I am not surprised at the low viewing figures, those that enjoyed series 1 wont necesairly enjoy this one, its too different. And those that tried series 1 and didnt like it (but do like BB) wont have even tried to watch castaway 2.

I liked the original Castaway, like Big Brother and I like this series - I think it is a shame they are messing about with it - but I do think they had it wrong at the start - we needed to see more of what was happening daily rather than just four shows of highlights and then an hour show with just a tiny bit of 'live' or new footage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Well now its going to be 6 daily shows (every day except saturday).

Which IMO is better then what we had. It just moves to an early evening slot which suits me and will get it more exposure.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sooo.. its going to be on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7pm on BBC1, and on Mondays and Wedensdays at 7pm on BBC3. And Castaway Exposed will just be a 25 minute show at 7.35 on Sundays on BBC3. Is that all right?