Options

The Football Book and Magazine Thread

Comments

• Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Football magazines - when Saturday comes

Books - Graham Hunter 'Barca' is probably the best book on the subject I have read

Maradona's autobiography worth a read as well.

Guillem Ballague book on Pep is supposed to be a good read, it's on my list to get

Edit: Jeff Stelling's books are quite good, Paul Merson and kammy's are also decent
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to buy the Shoot and Match magazines when I was a kid in the 90's. I still buy the Sky Sports Football Yearbook each year.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as Christmas is coming, I thought I would mention the Topical Times football book. Got it every year. I am ancient.:eek:
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Seeing as Christmas is coming, I thought I would mention the Topical Times football book. Got it every year. I am ancient.:eek:

That doesn't still exist does it?! I do have the 1966 edition that i picked up somewhere! Well before my time of course!
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    That doesn't still exist does it?! I do have the 1966 edition that i picked up somewhere! Well before my time of course!

I sell these in my Ebay Shop and am surrounded by them at home!

They were very popular in their day, especially in the early 60's when they came with wonderful dust wrappers (#1 was 58/9).

From the mid 70's, they were printed without the wrappers and with the laminated hard cover boards that most of these boys annuals (as they were called) were produced with.

There were literally hundreds of these titles in the 50's, 60's and 70's. By the 80's, most of them had died out as publishers couldn't make money anymore and TV changed the way everyone consumed / enjoyed their football changing former buying trends etc etc.

Others were;

- The All Stars Football Book, Charles Buchan's Soccer Gift Book, Shoot annual (still going although the magazine has finished) and Goal annual published for the 5 years of the magazine.

- The Big Book of Football Champions was another brilliant annual, again a 50's title with great dustwrappers (stopped in 60/1). Purnell then started publishing an annual called Football Champions but although it was good, it was nothing compared to the Big Book.

- all the annuals linked to a top players name like Alan Ball's International Soccer Book, Bobby Charlton's Book of European Football. Danny Blanchflower, Denis Compton, Derek Dougan, George Best, Denis Law, Billy Bremner, Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Trevor Francis also had annuals.

- the commentators of the time had annuals like the Kenneth Wolstenholme Book of World Soccer and the David Coleman Book of Football.

- The Book of Soccer was 'edited' by Billy Wright and then after him, Bobby Moore.

- The Boys Book of Soccer was more like a comic book annual as were the Roy of the Rovers annuals and the annuals of all the comics like Score, Scorcher and Striker.

- The FA Book for Boys had lots of coaching tips for kids and also great dust wrappers evocative of the time.

- The International Football Books covered the overseas scene.

Then you had endless title of what were called the pocket annuals like the FA Yearbook, the News of the World and the Playfair annuals.

The News of the World annual links back through different ownerships to the Athletic News Annual in the 1880's, a publication of the newspaper which covered the new and growing game of association football.

More recently, what might be termed yearbooks or even almanacks (like Wisden in cricket) have predominated. Obviously, the Rothmans Football Yearbooks (now Sky) have lead this trend. You also have a new one in Olivers Almanack of World Football.

There are visuals in the items I am selling for anyone who wants to remind themselves of what these annuals looked like;

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GoalsandWickets/FOOTBALL-ANNUALS-/_i.html?_fsub=667179015&_sid=680272245&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Miracle of Casto Di Sangro - story of very small Italian club;s season in Serie A, told through the eyes of an American

the Glory Game - Hunter davies (diary of 1970s Tottenham)

Heroes and Villains - a chronicel of both Arsenal and Tottenham;'s 1990-91 season

I have also read Tony Cascarino's autobiography - highly recommended. His weekly column in the RP on a Saturday is always an interesting read too.
  • Options
    Freddy_LivesFreddy_Lives Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A season with Verona by Tim Parks.
    Calcio - A History of Italian Football by John Foot.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Having read Duncan hemipenis excellent book on brian cough
    Provided you don't kiss me am now reading his book on bodyline and Harold Larwood excellent books and bodyline controversy which it took 50 years for real truth to come out

My next book is going to be about the highly controversial Leeds player (and first black player to play in an f a cup final) in Albert Johanneson who who career went down hill after suffering terrible racist abuse in 60s and who ended upmin the gutter after he couldn't handle pressure of being at a top club
    Before my time but heard he was excellent when he played
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    ive got that clough book on my shelf but never got round to reading it. Always seems to be something else i want to read first.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    ive got that clough book on my shelf but never got round to reading it. Always seems to be something else i want to read first.

I read it ages back, from what I remember it was well worth a look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Recently read Albert johannesons book or rather a book on him
    Very good book and it's quite harrowing at times seeing the racist abuse he had to suffer in the 60s inc some from
    A 66 world cup hero who isn't named btw
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody bought this yet? http://twentyfour7football.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just picked up. Archie. McPherson book from Smith's for £1
    brilliant value and a brilliant read.
    Older Scottish ds will know him
    better than me but Peter Thompson certainly had s Eye with people and words not one to cross by sounds of it -
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski is fasinating and might actually change your view of football.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    This post is especially for C07 but also other MUFC fans could be interested too.

I was in Scotland (Edinburgh) at Easter and guess what book I saw in a charity shop - Managing my Life by SAF and at £4 I thought it a bargain and snapped it up :D Always said I wanted a copy of it.

Have not read it yet - but I will do - especially after I retire this summer and so will have a lot more time on my hands - altho tbh it is quite old now and could do with updating as there are a lot of things which have happened to him and MUFC in recent years that I would like to hear his comments on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Recently read a couple of Leeds\sheff Wednesday related books totally different in Howard Wilkinson gentle way of managing to succeed to the boozing betting&brawling by Mel sterland though rangers fans may be interested to read his tale about his expensive year at rangers which is quite adapt now
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been trying to get my hands of the back issues of "Sweet F.A" for a while now.

Think there was only about 20 released, bloody hard to find.
  • Options
    law10law10 Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Anybody bought this yet? http://twentyfour7football.com/

This looked quite interesting until i scrolled down to the list of contributors...which includes Andy Gray, Richard Keys, Barry Silkman, Oliver Holt, Michael Owen and David Gold!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great read is "Sons of United" by Tony Park and Steve Hobin, I cannot reccomend it highly enough. a wonderful read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neil Warnock book is causing quite a stir on Leeds forums apparently so much that he already had 3 writs from leeds over it wanted players last season and we didn't them He has named them (players in his book and what their demands we're
    Leeds say it's confidential information and not for public information as wasn't authorised by our pr dept
    Also says funds went "missing " as welll last year
    Also has a dig at Sean bean over his sacking at Sheffield United
    And tevez as well calls him " a murderer out on bail "
    Also had row with manchi last season at ht during city/Leeds cup tie when he(mancini) said that some Leeds players were upsetting
    Tevez over his personal problems last season (no idea what they wwere or what was said Warnock just laughed which mancini didn't like
  • Options
    Lorimer1946Lorimer1946 Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just picked up book on Herbert chapman by Patrick Barclay always wanted to know what happened with him and Leeds city during WW1 and Barclay excellent journal too
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just picked up book on Herbert chapman by Patrick Barclay always wanted to know what happened with him and Leeds city during WW1 and Barclay excellent journal too

I did the Emirates stadium tour earlier in the week, which was excellent and you see how much of history he has attached to the club and of course Patrick Barclay is from Dundee so might have a look
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Dont know i only remember Goal/shoot, plus the likes of Tiger, ror and of course Look in

Found what I was looking for

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FOOTBALL-HANDBOOK-COMPLETE-Marshall-Cavendish/dp/B004785K38

Sure I had this but not sure what happened to it:(

THINK I've still got my set somewhere.

As many others have said, I used to get Shoot, in the days before automatic promotion/relegation between league and non-league I used to use one set of league ladders for several seasons until the tabs and/or the slots in the cardboard were worn and unusable!
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Dont know i only remember Goal/shoot, plus the likes of Tiger, ror and of course Look in

Found what I was looking for

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FOOTBALL-HANDBOOK-COMPLETE-Marshall-Cavendish/dp/B004785K38

Sure I had this but not sure what happened to it:(

THINK I've still got my set somewhere.

As many others have said, I used to get Shoot, in the days before automatic promotion/relegation between league and non-league I used to use one set of league ladders for several seasons until the tabs and/or the slots in the cardboard were worn and unusable!

Can't believe five years have passed since a lot of these posts I remember them all, yes remember league ladders as well I think they used to end up in the hoover in time
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, must confess I didn't even notice the dates on the earlier posts........