Options

*The Lady Gaga Appreciation Thread* (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is Do What U Want definitely the new single?
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is Do What U Want definitely the new single?

Yes I think so... it all seems a bit unclear though!

DJames99 - I'm also looking forward to her performing the song live with R Kelly. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with on stage, and their chemistry etc

I hope she does a ballad form of Gypsy too, I think an a cappella performance of that, or stripped down version at least, combined with DWYW with R Kelly is a great idea and I'm looking forward to watching!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    DWUW is the official second single. The video was shot the other week.

They're holding it back and letting it grow naturally so when they push it, the sales and airplay will peak simultaneously and make it chart higher. Possibly smash.

SNL is the beginning of them pushing it. Performing it on Ellen (22nd), AMAs (24th) and having the Muppets special (28th) with the video coming out first week of December (probably) could mean it peaks in a month or so. With the winter freeze though, it could carry into January and peak then.
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think DWUW will smash. I don't know whether it will catapult to #1 etc but I think it will be similar to 'Applause' but bigger and more people admitting to liking it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether DWYW will smash as such but I think with the promo they've got lined up and a timely video release it should do quite well. Is R Kelly performing it with her at Ellen too?

Also, saw on GGD that there's speculation that she won't release Gypsy as a single because she's performing it so much now. However didn't stop her with You and I... I think it'd be a waste of a good single if she didn't release it but I guess if there was the plan for it to be a single she might not be performing it so much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Gypsy' and 'MANiCURE' inparticular are VERY radio friendly, TOO radio friendly, Gaga's done a good job at creating radio hits this time around. I fail to see why one of the above songs can't be singles (but apparently she doesn't pick her singles? :confused:)

I just would love atleast one memorable hit from this era. The other song I think would do really well as a single is 'G.U.Y'.

Originally I did think 'Aura', but though I love it, the only appealing bit for a 'casual listener' and radio is the chorus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd be VERY surprised if her label let her make such a stupid decision to not release Gypsy. She's probably performing it to test the waters, and the positive response is only going to build a stronger case for it to be released. Perhaps nothing, but 'Gypsy' was mentioned on her FB cover image until it was quickly taken down.

The third single of this campaign is way too important for her to go with anything other than a logical, "safe" choice. It's going to need to carry the album into next year after the initial promo is done, build on the momentum of Applause and DWUW, win people back by being fun/relatable and generally give her some positive press. Gypsy is the obvious choice.

G.U.Y is apparently in the running, but I feel that's a risk. It's not a big enough song to punch it through a pivotal period in the campaign. Sexxx Dreams, IMO, is the logical fourth single. Most people like it and it's got a controversial (but not off-putting) edge that'll give it attention when it's dwindling 9ish months into the campaign.

MANiCURE is a tough one. My gut feeling is that it - along with G.U.Y - aren't hit singles in actuality, despite being catchy.

Hopefully Aura and Venus are left as promo songs. She may love them but they're just not going to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH Diane, as much as I like some of the songs on the album, I don't think there's going to be a really memorable hit with this era. The only song I can see potentially doing that is Gypsy but I don't know.

I would really like to see GUY released but I agree ,at this stage it's too risky. She needs to release Gypsy next - it has the potential to have a great video, and she sings it really well. She doesn't need to go over the top with obscure references either because i think the song is fairly self-explanatory.

I worry that she'll release Venus anyway which i really hope doesn't happen. Obviously she's proud of it because she produced it but it's too messy, and I don't really like how she performs it live. The singing is fine, but the choreo and staging aspect is a bit all over the place. However a video apparently has been filmed and she said it would be the beginning of another trilogy so we'll see how that goes...

I like Sexxx Dreams but would radio play it? Maybe she could record a radio friendly version (would she, I don't know) with a different word for Sexxx... though there's also the 'when i lay in bed...' line. Who knows what's going to happen this era, i don't even know who's making the decisions anymore!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sexxx Dreams could probably become 'X Dreams' and have 'When I lay in bed I (sigh) and thinka you'. Wouldn't be too compromised and still recognisable.

Generally, I'm thinking:

ARTPOP ACT 1 (Launch: Aug)
    Single #1: Applause (Aug)
    Single #2: Do What U Want (Nov)
    Single #3: Gypsy (Feb)
    Single #4: Sexxx Dreams (May)
    -
    ARTPOP ACT 2* (Launch: Aug)
    Single #1: (Aug) - VMAs
    Single #2: (Nov) - Major collab for PapaTele continuation
    Single #3: (Feb) - Grammys, Brits
    Single #4: (May)

Cheek To Cheek Tour: 2014 (small string of concerts with Tony)
    ARTPOP 1+2 Tour: Early 2015 (longer wait builds demand and she'll need more hits to ensure success)

Terry x Gaga film should be a TV special and/or put on YouTube, with a few cinematic showings at launch.

Before ACT2 is released, she should appear on at least one huge collab. Probably with someone like Jay Z.

*One of the AP2 singles is performed in space ;)
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Do What U Want is contender for my favourite Gaga song, it's amazing, I love it, the middle 8 is heavenly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexxx Dreams could probably become 'X Dreams' and have 'When I lay in bed I (sigh) and thinka you'. Wouldn't be too compromised and still recognisable.

Generally, I'm thinking:

ARTPOP ACT 1 (Launch: Aug)
    Single #1: Applause (Aug)
    Single #2: Do What U Want (Nov)
    Single #3: Gypsy (Feb)
    Single #4: Sexxx Dreams (May)
    -
    ARTPOP ACT 2* (Launch: Aug)
    Single #1: (Aug) - VMAs
    Single #2: (Nov) - Major collab for PapaTele continuation
    Single #3: (Feb) - Grammys, Brits
    Single #4: (May)

Cheek To Cheek Tour: 2014 (small string of concerts with Tony)
    ARTPOP 1+2 Tour: Early 2015 (longer wait builds demand and she'll need more hits to ensure success)

Terry x Gaga film should be a TV special and/or put on YouTube, with a few cinematic showings at launch.

Before ACT2 is released, she should appear on at least one huge collab. Probably with someone like Jay Z.

*One of the AP2 singles is performed in space ;)

Yes this is perfect! Definitely think she should wait a while before embarking on the next tour.

And please Gaga, no promo singles next time!

Has anybody got the app yet? Consensus seems to be it's rather naff but with new stuff coming in the future??
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Anybody watched "Saturday night live" yet?

She was brilliant, great jazz performance of "applause" which morphed into "New york, New york" and a really poingnant sketch of her as an old lady Gaga were the highlights for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was AMAZING at presenting SNL!

Full show:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17a9aq_621f4wgalustvnow2-9-001
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had time to watch the whole thing, just seen the opening monologue but she looks and sounds great! Great arrangement of Applause :) looking forward to watching the rest.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opening was great. NYNY was brilliant
    So as she can sing act and dance I wonder if she will ever try her hand at Musicals :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Just been reading the charts section of Born This Way's wikipedia page… never appreciated how amazing the success was; in 3 days it sold nearly half a million in the USA breaking all records, sold nearly a million in its first full week; and to think at the time so many people hated it! 78 million radio numbers after 3 days too! God wish it was still like that now haha!

sorry just having a nostalgic moment!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly did very well - the hype was huge! Still it couldn't have ever really been sustained, but no reason to think it can't happen again.

She's been doing a q and a on twitter and apparently there will be a tour, to be announced soon. She loves touring obviously but I was hoping she'd wait a while, maybe even release a second volume before touring. I guess she didn't really get to play US with BTWB though so maybe she's eager to tour on home soil again. Terry Richardson documentary is being edited so hopefully that'll be out soon, I'm interested to see what it'll show. I'm hoping for backstage BTWB a footage and also her writing ARTPOP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been listening to the iTunes festival of 'Sexxx Dreams' and also the ARTRAVE performance. I think this song is better in performance than song on the album. It's one of my faves but since I've had the album, when I want to listen to it, I listen to the iTunes festival version :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    I've just been listening to the iTunes festival of 'Sexxx Dreams' and also the ARTRAVE performance. I think this song is better in performance than song on the album. It's one of my faves but since I've had the album, when I want to listen to it, I listen to the iTunes festival version :D

You can say this about loads of Gaga songs. So often they are better live than on record. I don't know if it's because when she is writing them she imagines them being performed live and writes accordingly, or when she is in the studio she has too much time to play with them and so ends up overproducing them.
    That may explain why the stripped back versions are always so good :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think sometimes her emotions get lost in the recording - whether it's the playfulness in Sexxx Dreams or the memories of EOG etc. She's just much better live, which is the right way round to be! I prefer the iTunes fest version of nearly all the songs she did - but mostly MANiCURE and Sexxx Dreams. They're fine now but I think they sounded better before.
  • Options
    BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    According to Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2, Gaga's episode of SNL is the highest rated of the year so far! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just read that apparently Gaga only sold 65,000 copies of ARTPOP last week. Surely that can't be right?

Unless that's just physical CDs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    I've just read that apparently Gaga only sold 65,000 copies of ARTPOP last week. Surely that can't be right?

Unless that's just physical CDs?

Nope that's right
    65508 to be exact I think
    how many did you think she was going to do?? :D I Think Katy Perry was 54000 in week 1 so I thought all things considered 65k + wasn't too bad.
    I was only ever estimating 70k max anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omfg! cant believe it hasnt been posted yet but the VENUS video has leaked...and wow....i love it even more than i did when i first heard it....watch it quick before it is taken down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXH8N7FDCc&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been a lot of tumbleweed in here the last few days :)

Thought she did a fantastic job at the AMA's and arriving on a horse was a masterstroke. Looked great as well :)