Options

Illegal immigrants abusing our library

Comments

• Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to do some research. You should go down to your local library and use the internet.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you ask him why he did not stay in itay and why he came to UK ? . That would be the burning question for me , why do THEY ALL head for UK ? . Benefits maybe ??

This has been going on for a very, very long time. Have a look at this link from 2002, which focuses on Sangatte.
    The UK Home Secretary David Blunkett is meeting his French counterpart on Tuesday to tackle the issue of illegal immigration to Britain.

The two men will discuss how to co-operate better to stem the flow of refugees trying to smuggle themselves into Britain from the Sangatte refugee camp in Calais.

The Red Cross camp described the camp as a staging post for illegal immigrants heading to the UK.

The Home Office estimates that 1,000 illegal immigrants try to access the UK through the tunnel each week.

In the Q & A the obvious question is asked and answered:-
    Newshost:
    Why do they want to get into the UK as opposed to staying in France?

Harriet Sergeant:
    Because we have an insatiable demand for their labour. We have a thriving black economy in this country. I had a most interesting lunch with a man from the Inland Revenue who explained to me that the black economy is no longer on the periphery of our economy - it's central to it. The catering industry, for example, which relies heavily on illegal immigration, makes more money than shipbuilding, steel or coal.

You could perhaps now take a look at this 2009 Guardian article in which a reporter visits scores of UK transition camps across Northern France. Again the question is posed:-
    "Why do I want to get to Britain? Because it has to be better than everything I have seen on my way from Eritrea so far," said Anthony, 24, who left his homeland seven months ago to escape compulsory military service that he says could have lasted five or 10 years. "And I am here in a field in northern France because there is nowhere else."

The commentator makes this point:-
    For most, the attraction of Britain lies in family ties, the English language and the UK's reputation as both generous to asylum-seekers and – at least until recently – economically successful. Around a third have already spent time in the UK and are making their second, third or even fourth clandestine crossing of the Channel.

Interesting. I think the conclusion is that yes, we are a soft touch compared to the rest of Europe, but there is also an attraction in the so called "black economy". Eitherway it's not a good situation, and we do face an accommodation crisis.

Notice how also in 2002, they're "illegal immigrants" and in 2009, they're "asylum seekers". Surely the definition of an asylum seeker is someone seeking asylum from a dangerous situation, so that depends on their original country, and the situation therein, and possibly to a lesser extent on the country they are currently in, awaiting movement from.

As to the role France plays in all this, I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions on that one.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Really? You posted a negative-interaction tale about foreigners on the interwebs, yet even on the interwebs you've not been called a racist.

So why do you think you're racist?

Thats patronising!
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Did you ask him why he did not stay in itay and why he came to UK ? . That would be the burning question for me , why do THEY ALL head for UK ? . Benefits maybe ??

You can find out by looking here: http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum/facts_about_asylum_-_page_1

Do you think Italy should perhaps keep them all just because it is the first stop off point in the EU?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can find out by looking here: http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum/facts_about_asylum_-_page_1

Do you think Italy should perhaps keep them all just because it is the first stop off point in the EU?

Absolutely 100% send them back. The west has to say no at some point and now is that point. Africa gets aid . If we are going to accept everyone then we should stop the aid!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Well yes, as a human I support human rights. What are you, a gibbon? A Martian?[/QUOTE

:D

Always wondered why people think that is an insult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    . <snipped>.....Interesting. I think the conclusion is that yes, we are a soft touch compared to the rest of Europe, but there is also an attraction in the so called "black economy". Eitherway it's not a good situation, and we do face an accommodation crisis.

I had also read that the black economy was a draw too so efforts need to be stepped up to address this in our own country. However I have friends who think nothing of buying cheap knock off "designer" brands off a mate, so people again, like my friends, should think about how this all ties in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    crystallad wrote: »
    Absolutely 100% send them back. The west has to say no at some point and now is that point. Africa gets aid . If we are going to accept everyone then we should stop the aid!

Tell me how aid works and how it will stop these migrants coming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your link doesn't actually address the question asked by the poster you quoted - viz: why do they all want to come here, and replaces a question with a question.

It is an interesting link, however, and points up how difficult it is to get asylum in this country. That would imply to me a fair percentage of people who are now staying illegally in this country.

No stats - by definition - but I think it's a reasonable assumption.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is a natural physical limit on just how many refugees we can accept in this country, considering our size, accommodation issues and already overloaded infrastructure.

I think we should be in talks with all our EU partners on increasing their role in helping asylum seekers and others who want to re-settle in Western Europe.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a natural physical limit on just how many refugees we can accept in this country, considering our size, accommodation issues and already overloaded infrastructure.

I think we should be in talks with all our EU partners on increasing their role in helping asylum seekers and others who want to re-settle in Western Europe.

Here speaks the voice of reason.

If everyone on GD was like Blueblade it would actually be a nice place to post, instead of people trying to score points with accusations of racism because they disagree with something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Here speaks the voice of reason.

If everyone on GD was like Blueblade it would actually be a nice place to post, instead of people trying to score points with accusations of racism because they disagree with something.

Thanks.

It really does genuinely piss me off the way that some threads are turned into a slag fest against the OP instead of actually debating the issues raised in a positive, harmonious and constructive way.

Some poster's entire raison d'être on a thread consists in finding points to attack the OP, instead of debating the actual topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your link doesn't actually address the question asked by the poster you quoted - viz: why do they all want to come here, and replaces a question with a question.

It is an interesting link, however, and points up how difficult it is to get asylum in this country. That would imply to me a fair percentage of people who are now staying illegally in this country.

No stats - by definition - but I think it's a reasonable assumption.

It does if you spend some time actually looking behind just that one link.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What about if the other EU countries said we didn't take our "fair share" as they do on the whole take in more refugees than us (think someone on this thread said Germany take far more than we do)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does if you spend some time actually looking behind just that one link.

I'm sure it does, but if you found it, why not link to that specific bit, or copy and paste it. Saves time for everybody else.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

It really does genuinely piss me off the way that some threads are turned into a slag fest against the OP instead of actually debating the issues raised in a positive, harmonious and constructive way.

Some poster's entire raison d'être on a thread consists in finding points to attack the OP, instead of debating the actual topic.

The only thing to really debate is why instead of asking for Home Office documents, seemingly for no reason whatsoever, the piss poor library staff are just shutting the computers off after the two hours. Problem solved.

And as I said yesterday, the minute illegal immigrants were mentioned the OP set himself up for a fall, especially when it's then discovered they aren't illegal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about if the other EU countries said we didn't take our "fair share" as they do on the whole take in more refugees than us (think someone on this thread said Germany take far more than we do)?

Germany is a bigger country than this one, as is France.

Considering our accommodation and infrastructure problems, I think there is scope for them to do more. Not just the two above either.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing to really debate is why instead of asking for Home Office documents, seemingly for no reason whatsoever, the piss poor library staff are just shutting the computers off after the two hours. Problem solved.

And as I said yesterday, the minute illegal immigrants were mentioned the OP set himself up for a fall, especially when it's then discovered they aren't illegal.

Setting myself up for a fall?

Local people disgruntled as asylum seekers are taking up most of the computers. That is the situation.

I agree that the library staff could do more, and vocally (and loudly) announcing that you wish to see their Home Office ID was pretty unnecessary.

I stood corrected on the terminology didn't I? However, they entered the country unlawfully. But, having spoken to one, I got an insight as to why.

I'm not against them. I just wish that Wakefield people could get to use our library. That's all.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,998
    Forum Member
    Setting myself up for a fall?

Local people disgruntled as asylum seekers are taking up most of the computers. That is the situation.

I agree that the library staff could do more, and vocally (and loudly) announcing that you wish to see their Home Office ID was pretty unnecessary.

I stood corrected on the terminology didn't I? However, they entered the country unlawfully. But, having spoken to one, I got an insight as to why.

I'm not against them. I just wish that Wakefield people could get to use our library. That's all.

Then instead of bleating about it on the internet, get the absolutely useless library workers to kick them off the damn computers. That's quite literally all they have to do and the local people of Wakefield can use the computers too.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I might even volunteer and help them.

I am fascinated by different cultures, and I could have chatted to that lad for hours.

What started off as annoyance of library abuse ended in me seeing things differently about a group of people I knew little about. I still don't agree with their internet tactics, but to be fair they have little to do all day.

Some food for thought here though. Might get involved.

Good for you, Mark!!

Really, honestly. You came here yesterday understandably peeved, but apart from some silly posting by others, you have seen another side.

Good luck!!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me how aid works and how it will stop these migrants coming.

Thats the point aid clearly isn't working because they want to leave. And Aid works to maintain life.
    War is another reason they leave but africa is a huge continent and we have to say no at a point! Just like a lot want to stop economic migrants coming in to britain because it is changing the britain we know and putting pressure on services, inferstructure and social cohesion.
    Why arnt Africans fleeing to south africa or turkey? There is no war there and closer than Italy and britain but whispers say we are the little gold pot. So its not fleeing for their lives it economic reasons they leave!!
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everyone? As in everyone in Africa?

Seriously though, can someone please tell me where this idea that "everyone" comes to the UK comes from?

Because it's completely untrue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the point aid clearly isn't working because they want to leave. And Aid works to maintain life.
    War is another reason they leave but africa is a huge continent and we have to say no at a point! Just like a lot want to stop economic migrants coming in to britain because it is changing the britain we know and putting pressure on services, inferstructure and social cohesion.
    Why arnt Africans fleeing to south africa or turkey? There is no war there and closer than Italy and britain but whispers say we are the little gold pot. So its not fleeing for their lives it economic reasons they leave!!

re:BIB

They are. You just don't read about it in The Daily Mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.

The issue seems to be library staff who are aware of an issue, but doing nothing about it.

So not sure how we got on to illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. :p
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is estimated that South Africa harbours at least five million illegal immigrants, although some estimates increase this figure to eight million. It is believed that at least three million of these immigrants are of Zimbabwean origin due to political and economic instability caused by Robert Mugabe's government
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigration_in_South_Africa
This discussion has been closed.