Accused (Successor to 'The Street'), Tonight, 9pm

Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
Forum Member
New drama from the makers and writers of Jimmy McGovern's The Street, starring Christopher Eccleston, Mackenzie Crook, Juliet Stevenson, Peter Capaldi, Andy Serkis, Benjamin Smith, Noamie Harris, and Marc Warren.
BBC wrote:
Each episode will revolve around a different character as they make their way to the dock in court to hear whether they've been found guilty of a crime. As they walk, the events that led up to them being accused of the crime plays out and leaves the viewers questioning whether each of the people are really guilty or not.
In the time it takes to climb the steps to the court we tell the story of how the accused came to be here. We see the crime and we see the punishment. Nothing else. No police procedure, thanks very much, no coppers striding along corridors with coats flapping. Just crime and punishment – the two things that matter most in any crime drama.

Other cast include Pooky Quesnel, Robert Pugh, Tina O'Brien, Joanna Higson, and Everal Walsh.

Episode 1 is 'Willy's Story', RadioTimes review here.

Very much looking forward to this :)

Comments

• BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,663
    Forum Member
    I haven't looked forward to a BBC drama as much as this one for some time. The Street was superb and massively underrated.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a brilliant cast! Christopher Eccleston + Jimmy McGovern = gold!
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame it's not HD. Gritty 16mm I expect. What with New Tricks, Merlin and Spooks, there still a lot of 16mm production about on prime time BBC.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    I haven't looked forward to a BBC drama as much as this one for some time. The Street was superb and massively underrated.

Agreed. Northern, kitchen sink realism at it's best.

Indeed. One of my favourite actors and one of my favourite writers.
    Forum Member

Agreed, Northern kitchen sink drama at it's best.
    derek500 wrote: »
    Shame it's not HD. Gritty 16mm I expect. What with New Tricks, Merlin and Spooks, there still a lot of 16mm production about on prime time BBC.

Don't know, but for an SD UK production The Street, especially, the last series was quite visually stunning in places.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was indeed superb, wasn't aware it was underrated though. Pretty much universal critical acclaim from what i remember.

Just nice to have anything on that isn't X Factor or Soap opera. Or New Tricks ;)
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree The Street was amazing and I always thought that it would have been brilliant if Christopher Eccleston had been in this. So glad that he's been reunited with McGovern and the interviews have been really interesting.

Can't wait!
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    Thanks, lost my tv book, can't find it anywhere.. Sky+

can't wait
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,663
    Forum Member
    It was indeed superb, wasn't aware it was underrated though. Pretty much universal critical acclaim from what i remember.

Just nice to have anything on that isn't X Factor or Soap opera. Or New Tricks ;)
    I meant in terms of audience, it never reached the heights it should have. But in terms of critical acclaim you are quite right it was extremely well received in that respect and deservedly so. :)
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long to wait now.

I've really missed Christopher Ecclestone - one of my favourite actors who never disappoints. This series promises to be excellent - so pleased to have some Jimmy McGovern drama back on TV.
    Forum Member

Though I don't mind a bit of harmless reality escapism, it is a shame that this will probably be beaten by three or four million by some celebrity eating testicles on ITV.
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Formulaic, over-acted, predictable...rejected card, anti-war polemic, and we're only 11 minutes in....

...no money in his account but his wife could afford a cruiser cab journey :confused:

Oh and is it me or do Casting Directors for the BBC sit on their arses, do nothing and just spew the same faces into the same Dramas?
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to like to give things longer than 11 minutes before dismissing them out of hand. The war bit was a bit strident, but not unexpected with Jimmy McGovern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I tend to like to give things longer than 11 minutes before dismissing them out of hand.

So do I - but the last JM programme I saw had anti-war polemic in the first 11 minutes, bludgeoned in, oh and it had infidelity, bankruptcy and...well, depressed children, lingering meaningful looks...this has nothing original to offer and I'm afraid that the first 11 minutes is crucial...I could be watching "Brookside" in 1984.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy McGovern checklist:

Dysfunctional family - check
    Money problems - check
    War polemic - check
    Call Centre polemic - check
    Anti-Bank polemic - check
    Battered woman - check
    Infidelity - check
    Poor people smoke and get pissed - check
    Religious symbolism - check
    Unnaturally scripted monologues - check
    Unbelievable coincedences - check

Had high hopes for this...will not be watching the rest: tired, old-fashioned, irrelevant and the worst of all? Well acted and directed...it's the script that's let it down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Always, always a bit wh a priest in Church too.

Enjoying it so far anyway. Christopher Eccleston really is the best of British when it comes to acting.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy McGovern checklist:

Dysfunctional family - check
    Money problems - check
    War polemic - check
    Call Centre polemic - check
    Anti-Bank polemic - check
    Battered woman - check
    Infidelity - check
    Poor people smoke and get pissed - check
    Religious symbolism - check
    Unnaturally scripted monologues - check
    Unbelievable coincedences - check

Had high hopes for this...will not be watching the rest: tired, old-fashioned, irrelevant and the worst of all? Well acted and directed...it's the script that's let it down.

:D I like Jimmy McGovern stuff but yeh what you have put is true. there's a simple reason for it though, because a lot of those stereotypes happen to be true and they also have some fascinating stories to tell. I take your point about it being slightly olf fashioned in feel and content but nevertheless the acting and pace of story make me forget these things and not care.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was excellent. Held my attention for the whole hour!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Big fan of The Street, but thought that was a load of old shyte to be honest.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just brilliant and kept me guessing throughout and well crafted. The married man having the affair was very real (having been a mistress - terribly I know) but it is has hackneyed as McGovern writes it and as seedy as Eccleston acts it.

Very telling and reminded me of the Sky Arts Chekhov shorts with Johnny Vegas brilliantly ranting about the pains of marriage. Like Chekhov, I think McGovern writes something that his actors can portray in a way that allows us the viewers to make our own assumptions. Did Willie deserve 6 years? Was it retribution or was the cab office lady wrong? Brilliant and Eccleston was stunning esp in the last scene with the family and the mistress, how to act without words.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I like Jimmy McGovern stuff but yeh what you have put is true. there's a simple reason for it though, because a lot of those stereotypes happen to be true and they also have some fascinating stories to tell. I take your point about it being slightly olf fashioned in feel and content but nevertheless the acting and pace of story make me forget these things and not care.

It's interesting that if it were any other programme than JIMMY MCGOVERN'S "Accused" would people be so forgiving about the stereotypes, cliches and forced set-ups...I have to say, by the end of that episode, I wanted them all to be locked up because they were all appalling people: that may well be JM's experience of life, but it isn't mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Just brilliant and kept me guessing throughout and well crafted. The married man having the affair was very real (having been a mistress - terribly I know) but it is has hackneyed as McGovern writes it and as seedy as Eccleston acts it.

Very telling and reminded me of the Sky Arts Chekhov shorts with Johnny Vegas brilliantly ranting about the pains of marriage. Like Chekhov, I think McGovern writes something that his actors can portray in a way that allows us the viewers to make our own assumptions. Did Willie deserve 6 years? Was it retribution or was the cab office lady wrong? Brilliant and Eccleston was stunning esp in the last scene with the family and the mistress, how to act without words.

But Chekhov also allowed his view of the world to colour his writing and then what he called "truth" was his opinion not reality...
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,105
    Forum Member
    Couldn't believe how many ex-Coronation Street actors were in the cast :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't believe how many ex-Coronation Street actors were in the cast :)

Well quite...time for the BBC to elect an extra Casting team perhaps?