Candy Cabs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
Forum Member
:p Is it just me or is Candy Cabs a blatant rip off of Carry on Cabby?

Comments

• Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought so too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Another tired cliche of a programme. Think 'Loose Women' on wheels, with its cast of unspeakably common wimmin (Joyner, Prenger, Sweeney) desperately thinking they're still 'girls' (Dream on.)

Wonder if it'll make all men out to be morons..? :rolleyes:
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldnt be surprised, lets see tonight
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently so. Either that or slimy con men according to a scathing preview in Radio Times.

Not that I’m asking for more of what will undoubtedly be a wretched piece of shit, but it’s another BBC “series” that lasts for a massive THREE episodes!

Sad to see Jo Joyner wasting her time on rubbish like Eastenders and this. And FGS Jo, step away from the PIES!!!!!!!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :p Is it just me or is Candy Cabs a blatant rip off of Carry on Cabby?

I thought exactly that when I saw it in the schedules.
    Do people at the BBC actually get paid for thinking up these sort of programmes?
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    From the Guardian 'TV Highlights' page.
    A group of feisty women friends launch a girls-only taxi service. They are heart-warmingly bluff in the face of adversity yet nurturing and supportive towards each other. And they've no end of trouble with flamin' men. (Insert condescending eye-roll here.) Paul Kaye reprises every role he's had in the last 10 years playing a feckless waster who arrives to cause trouble. In trying to produce chirpy, working-class drama, they've succeeded in patronising all concerned in the way that, say, Linda Green just didn't. Julia Raeside

Doesn't look like my sort of thing. Think I might prefer to watch Dan Snow up to his knees in sh!t on BBC2 instead!
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I saw a brief clip and that was enough for me to decide not to watch.

Having Claire Sweeney and that grating voice of hers is another reason not to watch.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Linda Green. Second series remains MIA on DVD because they never made a third. Barstewards.

I’m betting BBC execs think CC is some kind of telly sibling of the surprising cinema hit, Made in Dagenham. WORNG!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I've seen the adverts and a small clip but I can't say I was impressed. I'll watch the first episode, just to give it a fair shot. I don't think I'll be able to stand Claire Sweeney for long though!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not only is this a rip-off of Carry On Cabby but also of Rides, another BBC drama about an all-woman taxi firm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395898/
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I knew the all woman taxi firm concept was familiar! Thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    I knew the all woman taxi firm concept was familiar! Thanks!

Luckily I had a memory of Caroline Blakiston one of the actresses that was in Rides so I made use of IMDB. Funnily enough her name was only in the forefront of my mind because I had just been reading about Callan, in which her ex-husband, Russell Hunter appeared as Callan's sidekick, Lonely :)
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Original comedy drama by the BBC ...it's stuck in 1963.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Apparently so. Either that or slimy con men according to a scathing preview in Radio Times.

Not that I’m asking for more of what will undoubtedly be a wretched piece of shit, but it’s another BBC “series” that lasts for a massive THREE episodes!

Sad to see Jo Joyner wasting her time on rubbish like Eastenders and this. And FGS Jo, step away from the PIES!!!!!!!

Yep, the RT Editor (Alison Graham) ripped it to shreds, lol. Definitely won't be watching as it looks like lazy drama-by-numbers.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, the RT Editor (Alison Graham) ripped it to shreds, lol. Definitely won't be watching as it looks like lazy drama-by-numbers.

Whatever gave you the impression that Alison Graham didn't like it?!!! :D
  • ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Not only is this a rip-off of Carry On Cabby but also of Rides, another BBC drama about an all-woman taxi firm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0395898/

thats it! Been trying to place that since the trailers started last week. I'll give it a go (won't have much choice with other half having a bit of a thing for Jo Joyner haha)
    :p
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I don't know why some people had a problem with the Carry on Cabbie jumping off point on principle.
    So what, it's a jumping off point, it's what they do with it that matters.
    That said it doesn't sound like they're done a lot with it.

I'd heard it touted around as Auf Wiedersehen pet with women.
    Then again I'm pretty sure I saw some bikini activity in the trailer.
    I there's any of that keep a note of when it happens, I'll try and catch it on Iplayer.

I'm not in the mood for this sort of thing these days, not enough to stick with them past one episode anyway, something on BBC4 or BBC2 will always look more appealing at some point.
    No doubt it'll hit the right buttons for some people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

You may or not know that Jo had twins last year which may be the answer as to why she has put on a bit in weight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why some people had a problem with the Carry on Cabbie jumping off point on principle.

I don't think people are against Carry On Cabbie per se but it's more that they are annoyed that the BBC has given 3 hours worth of prime time TV to something that is a total rip-off
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the Alison Graham review, previously mentioned by a couple of posters (from the Radio Times)

"Prepare to stop up your ears and cover your eyes because Candy Cabs is LOUD, shrieking its presence with gaudy pink cabs, sets and characters. It's one of those pallid, female-populated, female-directed "comedy dramas", all blowsy, bosomy and Northern, where men are hopeless and women are noisily sensible, but a bit scatty when it comes to fellas. It's like Real People magazine brought to life. I hated every single second, but I'm sure for someone out there spending an hour with a group of women who set up a women-only cab company and get involved with unsuitable men won't feel like being trapped in a lurid, pink plastic hell."

Doesn't sound like my type of comedy/drama, think I'll give it a miss...there's football on tonight anyway.
    One for the ladies maybe ?
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to watching this later :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loosly based on a cab firm from Warrington called " The Pink Ladies" <-- useless fact there for you all!
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I be snobbish and say it sounds like a drama for women who read weekly magazines and stories titled "I breastfeed me dog". All pink and obvious humour.
    The women will be Northern with a capital "N" and the men will be gormless types...probably.
    Maybe i'll be wrong and i'll like this as much as The Killing.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Ah if only it was Babs cabs...................
    I really miss the League of gentlemen. :(
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like an hour long version of those Sheila's Wheels adverts