The Thick Of It - new series

rebelrebelrebelrebel Posts: 180
Forum Member
It's back sooner than i'd hoped - September 8th. Hurrah!

BBC TWO
BBC TWO

The Thick Of It

Government embarrassment, ministerial cock-up, Coalition rows, backroom deals, policy U-turns, spin-doctoring, political back-stabbing, wild media speculation, and more time spent with one's family - it can only be the eagerly anticipated return of Armando Iannucci's award-winning political comedy series.

Roger Allam returns as Peter Mannion MP, the new Secretary of State for The Department of Social Affairs and Citizenship (DoSAC), supported by his team of special advisors, commanded by Number 10's Director of Communications Stewart Pearson (Vincent Franklin) and thwarted by his new Coalition partner, DOSAC's Junior Minister Fergus Williams MP (Geoffrey Streatfeild).

Also back are Nicola Murray MP and foul-mouthed spin doctor Malcolm Tucker, in roles reprised by Bafta award winners Rebecca Front and Peter Capaldi. Both are now consigned to Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition, but still desperately hoping for a return to power. The ensemble cast is completed by Chris Addison, Joanna Scanlan, James Smith, Olivia Poulet, Will Smith, Ben Willbond, and Rebecca Gethings.

In the first episode of this seven-part series, tensions are running high in DoSAC. It is launch day for ‘Silicon Playgrounds’, the Coalition’s new digital youth policy master-minded by Junior Minister Fergus Williams. Number 10’s spin doctor Stewart Pearson delivers the bombshell that the PM wants digital-illiterate Peter Mannion to launch the policy, rather than Fergus. What could possibly go wrong with that? All Fergus gets left with is drawing up the list of staff redundancies, and Terri Coverley is pretty sure she can make his hit list if she plays her cards right, finding help from an unexpected direction.

Devised and produced by Armando Iannucci. Produced by Adam Tandy

See:http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/search/?medium=tv&channel=&yearweek=&day=

Very happy!

Comments

• saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joy!!
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent news. Chris Addison has been hinting about it on Twitter but I had no idea it was starting this soon.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I wasn't expecting this for months?!?! :eek:

Well I guess it isn't the sort of thing which needs much work doing to it in post

:D:D:D Can't wait :D:D:D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *does the little excited dance Nicola Murray did when Andy Murray was on the phone*
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant news.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all i can say to this is .....

******* ******* AWESOME YOU BUNCH OF FAT *****
    :D
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love the show but I find it strange they give this a Saturday night spot. Wouldn't it get higher ratings in an established comedy slot with a regular start time? Perhaps Thurs or Fri at 10?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot wait - should be excellent
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks great-though I'd love to see a return of Jamie 'the crossest man in Scotland' Mcdonald and Cal 'The ****er' Richards.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Oh no just read this is going to be the last series. Booooo.
    Probably the last series
    He goes on to explain: "Probably this will be the last series of The Thick of It. The door is left open at the end to come back and do specials. But I feel I have explored every crevice now and it's time to take stock and move on. I'm thinking about the power of the internet."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/sep/02/armando-iannucci-andrew-rawnsley-interview

Still, it was excellent whilst it lasted.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Strange to give it a Saturday night slot?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    Strange to give it a Saturday night slot?
    Series 3 was broadcast on Saturday nights.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What kind of an omnishambles is this time slot? 9.45 is neither here nor there and comes after a repeat of QI which would have been better placed after TTOI. I take it the ****ing swearing is some sort of problem or something,
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member
    I've got a funny feeling that this series is going to be even weaker than the last one. Let's face it, the Thick of It is essentially the Malcom Tucker show, and as this series is focused on the coalition side (Lib Dems:yawn:), I can't see the southern, middle class and English advisors having the same punch as the mad Scotsmen.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a funny feeling that this series is going to be even weaker than the last one. Let's face it, the Thick of It is essentially the Malcom Tucker show, and as this series is focused on the coalition side (Lib Dems:yawn:), I can't see the southern, middle class and English advisors having the same punch as the mad Scotsmen.

Apparently, according to one write-up, episode one is Tucker-free :(

Which is not good news at all.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    "Your not getting in my car....tonight!"
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    What kind of an omnishambles is this time slot? 9.45 is neither here nor there and comes after a repeat of QI which would have been better placed after TTOI. I take it the ****ing swearing is some sort of problem or something,

I can assure that QI XL will get double the views of TTOI which is why its scheduled that way. The thick of it has never done that well in the ratings and that scheduling is designed to give it a boost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armando Iannucci‏ @Aiannucci
    Just saying, The Thick of It starts tonight 9.45 on BBC2 and 10.45 on BBC HD. Just saying.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armando Iannucci‏ @Aiannucci
    Just saying, The Thick of It starts tonight 9.45 on BBC2 and 10.45 on BBC HD. Just saying.
    So long as TLNOTP doesn't run over time.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen 'The Thick Of It'...........:eek:

But I'm going to watch tonight because there's nowt else on

I got the impression that the previous series were about the Labour Government so does that mean that all the main characters will have left and new characters for the new Government will be in the show ?

or have they got some way of keeping the main characters even if they happened to be Labour cabinet members or Labour Spads last time ?............or is it more about the non-political civil service ?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why I've never watched it...........I think maybe 20 years ago it would have been the highlight of my viewing week, but as I've got older I've gone off things where people shout a lot and swear all the time............:p

Maybe when it first started it clashed with something else so I never watched it

I very rarely watch anything unless I see it from the start
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I don't know why I've never watched it...........I think maybe 20 years ago it would have been the highlight of my viewing week, but as I've got older I've gone off things where people shout a lot and swear all the time............:p

Maybe when it first started it clashed with something else so I never watched it

I very rarely watch anything unless I see it from the start

Malcolm Tuckers swearing was not swearing. It was poetic. Inventive. A form of beauty. His vicious fury was awe inspiring - one of the great televisual experiences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AWESOME

in one minute

get the ear plugs ready
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Malcolm Tuckers swearing was not swearing. It was poetic. Inventive. A form of beauty. His vicious fury was awe inspiring - one of the great televisual experiences.

Well put. I doff my cap to you, Sir.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh this frikking meeting!!!!!