Options

Suarez in trouble again

124»

Comments

• Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think that it's down to his face. It's deeply unpleasant. There are a lot of ugly players (and for balance, we had Luke Chadwick!), but something about Suarez's face is what winds people up. That's my opinion, anyway.

:D

I refer the forum to a post I made just under 2 years ago, the thread was titled "who is the most unpopular footballer?" (ignore the bit about Tevez ;) )

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51453291&postcount=12
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    :D

I refer the forum to a post I made just under 2 years ago, the thread was titled "who is the most unpopular footballer?" (ignore the bit about Tevez ;) )

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51453291&postcount=12

Well spotted, sir.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In defence of Liverpool fans, we all do the same. Chelsea fans are often overly defensive about Terry, United fans the same, with Rooney and Ferdinand. It's just how it is now.

Exactly.
    You see a Man Utd fan starts this thread because it's Suarez and Liv fans get wound up by it thinking why a new thread for this when worse happens lots of weeks with no new thread titles.
    Equally if a Liv fan starts a thread about Ferdinand then Man Utd fans get wound up by it and think the same.
  • Options
    ImonfireImonfire Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    I wish the rest of the Liverpool squad had his mentality in every game. We wouldn't have lost half the games we have.

Best player in the league this season and one of the best in the world at the moment. I'm delighted he plays for Liverpool and hopefully he'll stay for another season.

I don't wish the whole squad had his mentality, or we would have to forfeit every game, due to mass red cards.

Great player, but he does have a nasty side, his pettiness is beginning to grate and I wish he would stop it as he ruins his good play and performances. It's getting quite pathetic now.

I disagree about best player in the league and I don't regard him as one of the best in the world, far from it.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,040
    Forum Member
    He might just have a bit of a temper on him which boils over at times on the pitch maybe due to frustration?

I haven't seen him get into trouble off the pitch like so many other players!
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imonfire wrote: »
    I don't wish the whole squad had his mentality, or we would have to forfeit every game, due to mass red cards.

Great player, but he does have a nasty side, his pettiness is beginning to grate and I wish he would stop it as he ruins his good play and performances. It's getting quite pathetic now.

I disagree about best player in the league and I don't regard him as one of the best in the world, far from it.

I'm just pleased you are giving him any praise at all! Have you had a change of heart? you never seem to say anything positive about him. I like this new refined imonfire!
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mass of red cards? Has he even been sent off since he signed for Liverpool? :D
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    You can't discount Suarez because of the conditions or side he's playing in. If anything the pressure is massive on him because a lot of times he's had to carry the team single handedly. RVP and Bale are both playing in better all round sides you could argue as a counter point. I disagree about Bales consistency too. He hasn't been consistent for the whole season. Out the three I actually think I'd put Bale third in terms if how good a player they are. RVP on form and Suarez on form (which he has been more often this season) would be much harder to separate.

Bale and Suarez can quite often create something out of nothing whereas RVP relies a lot more on the quality of service he gets. In an ideal world, you'd have Suarez and/or Bale playing behind someone like RVP - to choose between RVP and Suarez is not a straight comparison as they are different types of player.

If you put RVP up front for Reading I'd suggest he'd struggle more than Suarez or Bale would.

If Suarez continues to score and create consistently to the end of the season, there's no other player this season who has performed as relentlessly as he has and, from a pure footballing perspective, he would merit player of the season.

So not liking the man or the club he plays for shouldn't come in to it IF it's a footballing award and not a popularity contest (although some previous awards suggest otherwise).
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »

Not that I can remember.
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One red card against Ghana several years ago for the save of the tournament hardly constitutes 'mass red cards'.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure Rooney has a temper and is easily provoked he's had 1 red In 3 years :p
  • Options
    ImonfireImonfire Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »

I said that if the whole team did Suarez's antics, the referee wouldn't be able to avoid not seeing incidents. That's the point I was getting at, as Suarez gets away with far too much.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Bale and Suarez can quite often create something out of nothing whereas RVP relies a lot more on the quality of service he gets. In an ideal world, you'd have Suarez and/or Bale playing behind someone like RVP - to choose between RVP and Suarez is not a straight comparison as they are different types of player.

If you put RVP up front for Reading I'd suggest he'd struggle more than Suarez or Bale would.

If Suarez continues to score and create consistently to the end of the season, there's no other player this season who has performed as relentlessly as he has and, from a pure footballing perspective, he would merit player of the season.

So not liking the man or the club he plays for shouldn't come in to it IF it's a footballing award and not a popularity contest (although some previous awards suggest otherwise).

I couldn't disagree more. Van Persie often scores goals from seemingly nothing.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Alan Cracker will be in this thread soon.thats for sure.

Been away for 4 days and on coming back find this thread as it seems LS has 'been in trouble again' - altho during my absence I kept up to date with football news and did not hear it mentioned at all - so perhaps it was a nothing incident which certain posters have chosen to highlight for their own reasons - as some have already suggested.

There is much I'd like to comment on and come back about - but I will resist - as people know what I think, I know what they think, there are major disagreements and to discuss it further would be counter productive and probably it would end up as both time wasting and annoying for me - so that is going to be my only contribution Joey.

Generally I stick to the LFC thread these days altho I will discuss in the general football threads but about things like refereeing ...etc - not about Luis as the truth is that it is almost impossible to have any kind of rational discussion about anything to do with him.

Sorry if that disappoints you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    You can't have a rational discussion about Suarez here because twenty Liverpool fans jump in at the slightest hint of any criticism and scream until everyone else has left the thread. Suarez is undoubtedly an incredibly good player, one of the best 3 players in the Premier League and in the top 10 across the world. He's fantastically exciting to watch and he'd be a huge loss to the English game if he left.

Where as some of the criticism of him is never irrational. Nor can it be used to stereotype any particular group of supporters with attention seeking statements:rolleyes:

A whole 3 pages of a thread when he wasn't even playing for LFC:D