Alias Smith and Jones

CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Getting a run on ITV4.

Loved the show years ago, but it's not aged well, not that funny, not that dramatic.

Comments

• BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Getting a run on ITV4.

Loved the show years ago, but it's not aged well, not that funny, not that dramatic.

Just watching it on +1.....cant believe how slow it is. It seems longer than I remember when I was young...unless its the first or the pilot ?
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was the pilot. Had never seen the pilot before; stunned to see James 'The Virginian' Dury in it - but conversely I enjoyed it a lot- and I'm no fan of Westerns. Made me realise what a talent was lost when Pete Duel took his own life.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    How times change! I was in love, as a teenager, with Pete Duel when I saw him in this series decades ago. I was devastated when he died so young,

He wouldn't be 'my type' in a million years these days!
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How times change! I was in love, as a teenager, with Pete Duel when I saw him in this series decades ago. I was devastated when he died so young,

Me too! I was completely smitten with Pete Duel back then and can remember crying my eyes out when I heard he'd died :(
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    Me too! I was completely smitten with Pete Duel back then and can remember crying my eyes out when I heard he'd died :(

Oh me too.... I sobbed for months:(................I was 5 and he was my first major crush, I believe that the series was broadcast over here after he had in fact died.....I didnt know until the series started and there was no Pete Duel and my mother said "oh he died":o
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sad that some series don't stand the test of time.
    I saw this advertised and set my PVR for series link, as I have fond memories of this show. But sadly ten minutes into the recording, I deleted and cancelled the link. It really seemed dated.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its 44 years old! It wasn't that good to start with in truth - traded hugely on the charisma of the stars. Now you notice all the stuff that isn't good rather than what is. That said its still better than Bearcats I'd say!

The picture quality is good. Clearly restored
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC used to repeat the episodes over and over again in the seventies-so as a kid I knew which one it was pretty quickly (same with Star Trek).
    It was inspired by Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid and was required viewing in our house -sad to see its not going down so well now.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Loz Kernow wrote: »
    Oh me too.... I sobbed for months:(................I was 5 and he was my first major crush, I believe that the series was broadcast over here after he had in fact died.....I didnt know until the series started and there was no Pete Duel and my mother said "oh he died":o

Me too! He was my first crush. His smile sent me all weak at the knees. I thought he was gorgeous. When I heard he'd killed himself I was devastated.
    Didn't know they were repeating it. Is it on daily or weekly?

P.S. The theme tune was ace wasn't it!
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I have already put my comments about it here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1977147

There's been a thread going for a few days in the US tv section, it is a US tv show after all.

Rather than rushing to post my excitement at discovering the show's re-run, I took the time to think and see if there was already a thread going in any of the other sections.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

It was first broadcast before he died I think, I remember being completely in love with him, my sister told me he was dead when it was reported on the news, my first reaction was it must have been the bounty hunter gang that were always chasing them :blush: (In my defense I was very young, honest :blush: )

Still lovely after all these years, that smile *sigh*, probably explains my ongoing cowboy thing :blush:
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode introduces the concept and the characters and will rarely be that great.

I don't know how the show goes along, but you really can't judge it from the feature-length pilot.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Used to be on bbc2 monday nights about 8pm as i remember. When they used to show the waltons and high chapparal. Great times. They had a good chemistry Duel and Murphy. Still remember the opening dialogue and the great theme tune
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got this confused with Alas Smith and Jones, thought it was about time it got a re-run :D:(
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha...funny how we change isn't it. In my teen days we used to put poster pin ups from the likes of the Jackie up on the bedroom wall and Ben Murphy was one of mine. He was a bit monotonous though re-visiting this last night though that wasn't a consideration at that time ;-) !!!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assumed they were based on butch cassidy and the sundance kid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep they were, it was a rip off!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sad that some series don't stand the test of time.
    I saw this advertised and set my PVR for series link, as I have fond memories of this show. But sadly ten minutes into the recording, I deleted and cancelled the link. It really seemed dated.

But luckily this series isn't one of them! To be fair, I've only watched the first half hour but so far loving it. Just as good as I remembered.
    Forum Member
    At around the same time as this show, I was also a fan of 'Lancer' starring Wayne Maunder and James Stacy - I was also 'in love' with these two!

Like Pete Duel, James Stacy also became a tragic figure when he had a motorcycle accident, killing his then girlfriend and losing him an arm and leg.

They are both now in their late 70s and, to my horror, James Stacy is now a sex offender, for molesting an 11 year old girl.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »

There's been a thread going for a few days in the US tv section, it is a US tv show after all.

Rather than rushing to post my excitement at discovering the show's re-run, I took the time to think and see if there was already a thread going in any of the other sections.

But you couldn't resist the urge to post here in a supercilious and conflatious fashion :cool:
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Got this confused with Alas Smith and Jones, thought it was about time it got a re-run :D:(

Should've gone to Specsavers.:D
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »

Big deal!

It was a US TV show, yes, but it was shown in the UK, so that's where I choose to post MY comments, thanks.

That section of DS is one that I have (probably) never used, and if your attitude is anything to go by, I never will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music scores used to be much cooler in the 70s, todays episode sounded like something
    Lalo Schifrin would have cooked up.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really pleased when I saw this in the schedules as I remember enjoying it years ago when it was last on TV. I'm not a fan of Westerns these days, but the show seems to have stood the test of time with it's gentle humour and charismatic lead actors.

The weird thing is that I always thought it was made in the 80s as I think that was when I saw it. I guess the fact that it was a "period" drama meant that it didn't look as dated as much as other 70s shows.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    But you couldn't resist the urge to post here in a supercilious and conflatious fashion :cool:

No, but putting someone else's views first and searching around before posting my own seemed a lot less supercilious. Sorry if I'm old fashioned.