Options

Do 'celebs' who are interviewed on BBC radio pay for the privilege?

maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
Forum Member
I was listening to BBC Radio 2 this afternoon and Steve Wright was interviewing Toby Young about a new book he had written. Surely Toby will have paid to come on the radio in order to advertise his book?
Do all famous people pay to be interviewed on BBC Radio 2?

Comments

• Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other way round actually!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The other way round actually!

Surely it depends on what they have come on the radio to discuss. In terms of Toby he was plugging his own book - a blatant advertisement! Whereas the star of a new BBC TV drama series talking about it will just be raising interest in a BBC programme so why should he/she pay?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually interviews like that are symbiotic - neither side pays because both benefit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Actually interviews like that are symbiotic - neither side pays because both benefit.

Okay thanks I get it :)

On the other hand one could argue what benefit I gained from listening to Toby spouting on about a book that I have no intention of buying:D
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a licence payer I would be extremely upset if the BBC was paying someone to appear when it was to their financial advantage in terms of flogging a book, record, film or TV show. I have yet to hear a presenter saying ''I have just read your new book/seen your new film/TV programme and it's a load of cack.''
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    As a licence payer I would be extremely upset if the BBC was paying someone to appear when it was to their financial advantage in terms of flogging a book, record, film or TV show. I have yet to hear a presenter saying ''I have just read your new book/seen your new film/TV programme and it's a load of cack.''

Agreed - me too and that's why I had to ask the question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clarify one point - normally an actor or actress in a film or TV series would have a contractual requirement to help in promoting that film or series by taking part in interviews. I assume expenses would have to be paid if the thespian had to travel from say London to Salford for an interview, which doesn't seem unreasonable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Just to clarify one point - normally an actor or actress in a film or TV series would have a contractual requirement to help in promoting that film or series by taking part in interviews. I assume expenses would have to be paid if the thespian had to travel from say London to Salford for an interview, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

I heard Seth Rogen asked about this once, he said it had never been a contractual obligation on him as an actor and as a producer he'd never seen such a clause in anyone else's contract...
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Seth Rogen asked about this once, he said it had never been a contractual obligation on him as an actor and as a producer he'd never seen such a clause in anyone else's contract...

An implied obligation perhaps? Or just the fact that the actor has an interest in making sure the film is a success, so they get offered more work?
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have yet to hear a presenter saying ''I have just read your new book/seen your new film/TV programme and it's a load of cack.''

Because if that was the case, the writer wouldn't be asked in the first place!:cool:
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »

Indeed, you are quite right.

However, it's not uncommon for the broadcaster, out of courtesy, to lay on a taxi for the guest.

That is why the Daily Mail's frequent carping about "BBC Taxi use" is so off the mark, as most of these are guests on BBC local radio.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Indeed, you are quite right.

However, it's not uncommon for the broadcaster, out of courtesy, to lay on a taxi for the guest.

That is why the Daily Mail's frequent carping about "BBC Taxi use" is so off the mark, as most of these are guests on BBC local radio.

Taxis are in the event of the BBC specifically inviting the guest to talk about a chosen subject, and not for promotion.

The money an actor/writer/singer would get for doing these shows would come from the marketing agency/department responsible for the film/book/album
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because if that was the case, the writer wouldn't be asked in the first place!:cool:
    lol; spot on!
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, most major actor contracts will include some kind of commitment to promotional activities. However, they tend to be couched in very nebulous terms like "within reason" and "appropriate", which are easy to get out of... plus there's very little benefit to a studio actively forcing an actor to do promotion, as they're very unlikely to be positive if they've been strong-armed into doing it... when you see people on chatshows being surly and uncommunicative, 9 out of 10 times that'll be the reason!

As for fees, to my knowledge, "promotional" interviews are not paid for, and nor are "speaker opportunities" (e.g. "expert" commentary on a news item), though expenses are reimbursed (or taxis paid for etc.) Non-promotional appearance fees (say, on a chatshow) used to be around £200-400 in the 90's IIRC. Live (or mimed!) musical performances are paid for, albeit at minimum union rates, though accompanying dancers, band members & backing singers will be paid for by the record company rather than the BBC.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stars paying for that interview would be considering advertising or product placement, and would not only be wrong, but the commercial channels / stations would be up in arms. Also if the celebs were paying the BBC would have zero input into the content of the interview, the middle ground we currently have is best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to go to a BBC local radio station once (I wasn't promoting anything but commenting) and had to make my own way there and back but they did give me a cup of coffee !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that does surprise me, I would expect most "stars" are required to agree to some promo work for a movie or TV show.

Dont get me wrong, sometimes that is an actor sat in a London hotel room for a day, whilst they answer the same questions from "journalists" 500 times, but its something they do.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to smile at claims on this forum that one of the reasons Jonathan Ross was such an asset to the Beeb was that due to his film review programme he was able to get better guests for his chat show. Not that BBC One is the most popular network and the best place for stars to promote their latest offering, or anything sensible like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    I used to smile at claims on this forum that one of the reasons Jonathan Ross was such an asset to the Beeb was that due to his film review programme he was able to get better guests for his chat show. Not that BBC One is the most popular network and the best place for stars to promote their latest offering, or anything sensible like that.
    there is most likely some truth to both. Still prompting a movie states seems easy , you send a few of your actors on the chat show circuit, with a dozen (if not more) chat shows every night (across network and cable TV) finding an audience isnt hard.

Coming to the UK however, after the appearance on Graham Norton and the (admitted) chore of speaking to journalists from all medias, what else do you do? daytime /early evening talk shows have fallen out of favor (for quizs hows), but The Alan Titshmarsh show was never the right demographic. Its seems odd that stars do interviews for Steve Wright in the Afternoon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    there is most likely some truth to both. Still prompting a movie states seems easy , you send a few of your actors on the chat show circuit, with a dozen (if not more) chat shows every night (across network and cable TV) finding an audience isnt hard.

Coming to the UK however, after the appearance on Graham Norton and the (admitted) chore of speaking to journalists from all medias, what else do you do? daytime /early evening talk shows have fallen out of favor (for quizs hows), but The Alan Titshmarsh show was never the right demographic. Its seems odd that stars do interviews for Steve Wright in the Afternoon.

Ever heard of The One Show where you can talk rubbish about your latest film or TV series and no-one will ever challenge you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever heard of The One Show where you can talk rubbish about your latest film or TV series and no-one will ever challenge you.
    until you are asked to venture an opinion, on the reintroduction of some species of bird you have never heard of, to an area of the UK you have never heard of, or expected to show some euphemism for a piece about the building of a railway in Derby,
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    When I did the BBC Tour at BH a while ago the tour guide made a point of telling us that guests are paid the minimum fee of £66 [iirc] for appearances. This includes acts like Jon Bovi doing a gig in the Radio Theatre, for live or subsequent broadcast. It's a nominal fee that represents the mutual benefit to both parties but commits the BBC to paying for guests whoever they are instead of having to go through the argument of relative value - Elton John, McBusted, Mancy Baker etc.
  • Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    When I did the BBC Tour at BH a while ago the tour guide made a point of telling us that guests are paid the minimum fee of £66 [iirc] for appearances. This includes acts like Jon Bovi doing a gig in the Radio Theatre, for live or subsequent broadcast. It's a nominal fee that represents the mutual benefit to both parties, but commits the BBC to paying for guests whoever they are instead of having to go through the argument of relative value - Elton John, McBusted, Mancy Baker etc.

Yes this.

Also you've got to give them a consideration for the contract granting any copyright to be valid, and £60 ish is enough of an incentive for most guests to sign the contract and put a stamp on it.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    When I did the BBC Tour at BH a while ago the tour guide made a point of telling us that guests are paid the minimum fee of £66 [iirc] for appearances. This includes acts like Jon Bovi doing a gig in the Radio Theatre, for live or subsequent broadcast. It's a nominal fee that represents the mutual benefit to both parties but commits the BBC to paying for guests whoever they are instead of having to go through the argument of relative value - Elton John, McBusted, Mancy Baker etc.

It is what was done on the Children in Need Perfect Day recording, everyone got the Musicians' Union minimum rate irrespective of how big a star they were. Said at the time to be for contractual reasons, most would probably donate it to the charity.

Even if no payment is paid for an interview, I suspect that there is discrimination by importance (or perceived self importance!). The lower level might be told to get a taxi and reclaim the cost, others have a taxi prebooked to collect them, then some sent an Addison Lee (or similar) car (again with different grades of car depending on who it is).
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for fees, to my knowledge, "promotional" interviews are not paid for, and nor are "speaker opportunities" (e.g. "expert" commentary on a news item), though expenses are reimbursed (or taxis paid for etc.) Non-promotional appearance fees (say, on a chatshow) used to be around £200-400 in the 90's IIRC. Live (or mimed!) musical performances are paid for, albeit at minimum union rates, though accompanying dancers, band members & backing singers will be paid for by the record company rather than the BBC.

Musical performances have to incur a fee for copyright reasons. However usually the broadcaster will own the rights to the performance. It's why 30 year old episodes of Top of the Pops can be repeated so cheaply: The BBC doesn't have to pay PRS or PPL charges, since it owns the performances itself.