Options

Mock The Week - Russell Howard just is NOT funny.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
Forum Member
Surely I am not alone in thinking that Russell Howard just isn't funny, and he loves the sound of his own voice.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    I don't find him funny either! I'm not even sure how he got the job; he just makes silly studentish jokes. I could do that! :o

Then again, I find everyone on Mock The Week incredibly smug and up themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He really bugs me too
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like him. I don't like Frankie - he's an arrogant whinging git. Don't like Dara either.
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Russell! Thats why MTW works, it has comedians to suit all types of humor.
  • Options
    Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Everybody has a different personality........that's life :)
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's fanciable, I think that's why he's there. His humour is cringeworthy sometimes, he just spouts generally unfunny absurdness.

It's probably OK in a stand up routine, but up against Hugh Dennis and Frankie Boyle it's like men against boys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The others are funny, but I do not find Russell funny at all. He is nice looking though
  • Options
    Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree less. As has been pointed out, Mock the Week has comedians of varied styles, catering for all tastes on the panel. If anybody was rubbish that last series, it was Parsons, would rather see Michael McIntyre as a regular in his place if he is going to continue to be as average as that! :)

Russell Howard really annoyed me at first, have to admit, but in the last two series he's grown on me. His style of comedy doesn't always work but, in a clean and polished way, he pulls it off. He also has a large audience who love him which will only grow in the future, especially among the 18-30s.

For people calling Frankie arrogant and the like, do they not realise that is his comedy persona? He is probably far less vitriolic in 'real life'!
  • Options
    thecharmingmanthecharmingman Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree agree. Frankie runs that show, so good. The rest are hit and miss and the child is just a wast of space.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Not a fan. I think his radio show is much better without him, too.
  • Options
    DafadDdoniolDafadDdoniol Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I saw him live last month he was really funny! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's very funny. The show wouldn't be anywhere near as good if all six had similar styles.
  • Options
    RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie Boyle is consistently funny, and pulls off absurdist humour better than Howard.

For me, its Dara and Frankie who make the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Relugus wrote: »
    For me, its Dara and Frankie who make the show.

I agree 100%, I also think there is good craic when Ed Byrne is on the show.
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan. I think his radio show is much better without him, too.

I didn't mind him too much on 6 Music, not because he was any good, no no no, just because it gave the infinitely funnier Jon Richardson someone to bounce off. I haven't heard his show much since he left - is he ever going to come back or is it just JR's for the taking?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree - RH just aint funny
    always tries too hard after someone else makes a joke, plus hes got frig awful teeth...
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Russell. I think he offers something different to everyone else.

While I like Frankie, I find he just goes OTT sometimes, unnecessarily.
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Russell Howard. Although he doesn't do himself justice on MTW. He's much better live and on the radio! Maybe he feels intimidated on MTW?
  • Options
    lillyoolillyoo Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He makes me cringe, I want to like him beacuse I love MTW, but I just don't.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad others agree. He's AWFUL. His childish jokes are just embarrassing and he's not funny in the slightest.

It's all about Frankie, Dara and Andy. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's really grown on me. He's as hot as hell which helps too. I love his surrel, juvenile, warped imaginative humour I think it's great.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    rosalynn wrote: »
    I didn't mind him too much on 6 Music, not because he was any good, no no no, just because it gave the infinitely funnier Jon Richardson someone to bounce off. I haven't heard his show much since he left - is he ever going to come back or is it just JR's for the taking?
    I didn't mind the show with him, but the best bits were always Jon's. And, as it turns out, Jon doesn't really need someone to bounce things off :p

I don't know if he intends to come back, but I hope he doesn't. I like the new format of Jon Richardson and a guest comedian, with Fordy popping in for his weekly challenge.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rate him above Hugh Dennis and Andy Parsons, and below Dara and Frankie. Dara is the only one I've paid to see live, but I'd probably pay to see Frankie if he did a gig close enough.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    He isn't funny and - I'm sorry Russell, I know that you can't help it - but I can't watch you, as you remind me of the awful, awful Lowri Turner! :eek:
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    He's really grown on me. He's as hot as hell which helps too. I love his surrel, juvenile, warped imaginative humour I think it's great.

Only reason he's there.