Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I turned Derek on after watching the heartwrenching "Long Lost Families" expecting a laugh, i just ended up crying more!
    I think it was wrong to promote it as a comedy, it was funny in parts but overall it was a poignant drama which i think was played out very well by RG.. he has said several times that the part of Douglas was written for Karl rather than Karl acting a part - i enjoyed it but felt slightly cheated out of a laugh!
  • dingdongwitchdingdongwitch Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    35 minutes of my life gone forever :yawn:
  • planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be an awful example of cost cutting within the Cameron regime that Gervais has picked up on, or it might be just plain unrealistic

Who fed you that comment....Ed Miliband :eek:
  • planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    borodave wrote: »
    I just didnt 'get it'. Not for me.

It would have helped if they had a different actor, as all I could see was Ricky Gervais pulling a silly face ..

I turned it off after a couple of minutes....watching it felt like bullying a disabled person. Very distasteful and disturbing :(
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i kept saying to myself i saw that character before:confused:

and here it is the autograph hunter which he finds f*cking annoying, so much for not poking fun at the vulnerable:rolleyes:
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35 minutes of my life gone forever :yawn:

You should have Sky plussed it. It was only 24m long!!
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it got much better as it went along with a very strong performance from the actress playing Hannah. It felt more like a drama than a sitcom except when the legendary Karl Pilkington was in view.
  • Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Bunch of whining crybabies the lot of you. This wasn't done to poke fun at the mentally disabled, quite the opposite.

Nobody scoffed at Dustin Hoffman in Rainman (ok Ricky isn't that good)
  • Season 74Season 74 Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    mummymaz wrote: »
    I think it was wrong to promote it as a comedy

That is actually a good point. I kept wondering why everyone thought it was pure comedy, but I guess I only knew it wasn't from researching the show. I guess it was advertised as comedy because that's what'll get the viewers in.
  • Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 74 wrote: »
    That is actually a good point. I kept wondering why everyone thought it was pure comedy, but I guess I only knew it wasn't from researching the show. I guess it was advertised as comedy because that's what'll get the viewers in.

It was advertised as a Comedy DRAMA from the start, its not their fault people are too thick to understand that.
    Forum Member
    I turned it off after a couple of minutes....watching it felt like bullying a disabled person. Very distasteful and disturbing :(

That's terrible that you judge a whole TV show on a few minutes. I hate all these assumptions that we are meant to be laughing at Derek. Was there anybody, anywhere, laughing at Derek's apparent deformities? No. Derek was a touching character, with a heart of gold. I think you have to be looking to be offend by it, in order to be offended. If Ricky made Forest Gump he'd have been crucified.
    Forum Member
    It was advertised as a Comedy DRAMA from the start, its not their fault people are too thick to understand that.

Trailer content alone though mainly featured jokes, though you're right that the voice-over accompaniment told us it was a comedy drama.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are also judging as a serious drama than a comedy drama. Pity some people are too arrogant to recognise that. D'oh!
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/mark-heap-visits-the-indian-doctor-on-bbc-1/

Mark Heap could have played Derek I reackon. I think that was the worst part of the programme the actual charachter of Derek was to hard to seperate from Gervais hamming it up in a skit.
  • PeronessDSPeronessDS Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed this. Quite moving once I got my head around what it was supposed to be. Lots of well observed moments of people like Derek, I've definately met a few people like him. Just simple and uncomplicated people. The scene in the pub was moving, when Derek could overhear those girls laughing about him, and he was asking 'are they talking about me' :cry:. The head-but was satisfying lol. Him pecking at Karl on the coach was infuriating..and funny.and moving. The whole lottery bit towards the end was nice. The patting on the head and it making everything all right for Derek nearly had me. And at the end..'so which pub are we going to?' was funny and endearing.

There seems to be confusion about whether he was a patient or a worker..I assumed he was a worker there right? and he lives with his best mate Karl. Although they spend most of their time at the home. I'll probably re-watch it again :)
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    to be honest, I feel a little like Derek when it comes to the cuts/austerity, who's to blame and who's paying the price.
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only show I liked was extras, everything else he has done is bad.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish i had watched it. I was going to, but then decided to watch something else instead. I popped over for a few minutes and I thought it looked good ... and I regretted my haste in not recording it at the very least.

I hope it gets shown again.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    You should have Sky plussed it. It was only 24m long!!
    If he'd Sky plussed it he could have just watched the adverts, which were more entertaining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only caught the last 15 minutes of the show, having turned it on by accident. Up until now I have intensly disliked Ricky Gervaise (especially after the "mong" thing as I have a son with Down's syndrome).

For me though, he has gone a long way to making up for that with Derek. The bit I saw was sensitive and moving. I can't believe I was almost in tears watching something with him in it.

I know I shouldn't but I really loved the headbutt! How many times have I felt like doing that?
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no1clothes wrote: »
    I only caught the last 15 minutes of the show, having turned it on by accident. Up until now I have intensly disliked Ricky Gervaise (especially after the "mong" thing as I have a son with Down's syndrome).

For me though, he has gone a long way to making up for that with Derek. The bit I saw was sensitive and moving. I can't believe I was almost in tears watching something with him in it.

I know I shouldn't but I really loved the headbutt! How many times have I felt like doing that?

I enjoyed it, especially the headbutt. I didn't think for one minute that he was poking fun at learning disabled people either.
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »
    The only show I liked was extras, everything else he has done is bad.

You know this is your opinion right. You make that statement as if it is a matter of fact, when clearly the majority would put the Office above Extras, and most other things for that matter.
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, especially the headbutt. I didn't think for one minute that he was poking fun at learning disabled people either.

The show is in many ways the complete opposite. We are very much put on Derek's side in this one. This is not a show about someone with a disability, but a show with a simple, uncomplex, genuine character. You couldn't possibly portray anyone with intelligence so 1D and still create interest.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Nice to see something a bit different.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I really wish i had watched it. I was going to, but then decided to watch something else instead. I popped over for a few minutes and I thought it looked good ... and I regretted my haste in not recording it at the very least.

I hope it gets shown again.

It's on 4 OD now. :)