Landlord's post endlessly arriving

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    This happened to us, we contacted the agent and they sent a strongly worded letter to the landlord that we were paying top end rent and should expect to live in privacy , we had the added issue that he turned up 3 times and his daughter twice during the first year to see if any post had arrived, it was just sn excuse to snoop around, you should not have to put up with it, and although some have commented that it's not a big deal, when you pay alot of money to make a house your " home" you should not be made to feel like a house sitter, we lived there 3 years and I never felt settled and could never relax, and that is just not on
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Four months is not all that long. Sometimes it takes a year or more before the likes of the DVLA recognize a new address.

I would have thought the best thing would be for the OP to parcel the mail up and post it to the rental agency, who would send it on to the landlord.
    Yes that would involve some expense, so if that was a problem, then perhaps store the mail and phone the rental agency and ask what they want done with it.

Just shoving it back in a post box is not helping the landlord, who after all is the owner of the property you are living in.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    If you do return the mail, not known here, the letters dry up quite quickly.

Not in my experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Just shoving it back in a post box is not helping the landlord

Why would you want to help someone, who won't notify their change of address and/or set up mail forwarding?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    Why would you want to help someone, who won't notify their change of address and/or set up mail forwarding?

Just seems sensible not to antagonize someone who could give you notice to quit your home.
    Forum Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emptybox

We were paying £1260 per month for our house, I think that would entitle me to feel that it's my home, If landlords can't let go they shouldn't rent out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules. wrote: »
    Quote:

We were paying £1260 per month for our house, I think that would entitle me to feel that it's my home, If landlords can't let go they shouldn't rent out

It surely can't be that big a deal to either "return to sender" or save the post to one side until the landlord picks it up at a time that is convenient for you. You don't have to invite them in, just open the door and hand it to them. It's hardly a chore?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been getting mail for previous tenants (plural) for 30 months (I even get Christmas Cards for one person :rolleyes: ), and frankly I'm sick of it. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emily Moor wrote: »
    I like where I live, the house is in a great location with nice neighbours and handy for the station, shops etc, the fittings are all a bit shoddy, but I can live with that. I don't want to move or find somewhere else, I just think there's something a bit dodgy about my anonymous landlord!

Handy for everything apart from post boxes it appears :confused: Most stations have a post box and even if your local station is a small unmanned station, I would imagine that you would be heading to a mainline station where there would be a post box. Just write "return to sender - addressee no longer resides here" on the landlords post and it will sooon stop. It's quite simple really, that's what most sensible people tend to do without feeling the need to moan about it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jules. wrote: »
    Quote:

The house is your home, but technically it's the landlord's property. As are the letters.

Just seems to me the best thing is to do it through the rental agency, especially as they've already enquired about the landlord's post.
    All the OP would have to do would be to keep the important stuff in a cardboard box, and inform the agency that they have it.

Just a little bit of give and take. :)
  • Emily MoorEmily Moor Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    All the OP would have to do would be to keep the important stuff in a cardboard box, and inform the agency that they have it.

Since I'm paying for the space, I'll charge them a bit of rent for keeping their stuff here. £20 a month should do it, it's cheaper than paying for a storage unit ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been getting mail for previous tenants (plural) for 30 months (I even get Christmas Cards for one person :rolleyes: ), and frankly I'm sick of it. :mad:

A former tenant is slightly different though. They don't have any power over you. ;)

I'm speaking as a tenant myself BTW.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Is it really too much to write "Not known at this address" and pop it in the post box?

Yes it is! I used to get RSI writing that out on hundreds of letters for ex-tenants (mostly chasing unpaid bills for students who'd gone back to their own countries.)

And no there was no postbox on my way anywhere; I would have to make a special trip.

In the OP's case, it's easier to create one bundle of letters every month or two, and put one label on the top, then stick it in the postbox.
    Forum Member
    It surely can't be that big a deal to either "return to sender" or save the post to one side until the landlord picks it up at a time that is convenient for you. You don't have to invite them in, just open the door and hand it to them. It's hardly a chore?

No it's not a chore, but if I should be able to feel that house is my home, and in my situation as previously posted he turned up uninvited 3 times and his daughter twice to pick up post he must gave known was arriving, otherwise why come round, it's the oldest trick in the book to check up on you and to be honest it makes you feel like a second class citizen,
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get bank statements for my landlord who moved out 5 years ago. The letting agent pops around every so often to collect them. I don't mind. The landlord has to be nice to me.
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You sound like hard work OP, its not hard to repost letters. Also why give the agency your work number as a contact number then get snooty when they ring you on it.

I wish I had such hassles as you have. :D
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    lol whats the fuss about...

Royal Mail have to deliver whatever name is on the letter, so its not their fault.

The only way to resolve is:-

"Not known at this address since xx/xx/xx - Return to Sender", and then pop it in a postbox or give it to the posty.

You can also try the above in the form of a letterbox sticker:-

"Attn Royal Mail: Mr J Jones is Not Known at this address since xx/xx/xx - Please Return mail to Sender".

Just sticking it back in the postbox without saying why or taking it to the agent wont resolve the issue.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Yes it is! I used to get RSI writing that out on hundreds of letters for ex-tenants (mostly chasing unpaid bills for students who'd gone back to their own countries.)

And no there was no postbox on my way anywhere; I would have to make a special trip.

In the OP's case, it's easier to create one bundle of letters every month or two, and put one label on the top, then stick it in the postbox.

Yes of course you did:rolleyes:
  • GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved a year ago, I still sometimes get the old tenant's post. I know his new address so I just put his post to one side, then when I'm going near a post box I just write his new address on each one and put them in the box. No expense, no extra postage is needed. No bother for me, I just save it up until I happen to be going that way. Unless it's very obviously junk then I just bin it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to do that GrizzyDee, but I don't know the addresses of the previous tenants (the property was empty when I viewed it), so I just "NOT KNOW AT THIS ADDRESS" them and bung them in the postbox.

Getting to be a pain after 30 months.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in my experience.

How many times have you moved? I've moved eight times, and every single time the mail dries up when I've done that.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ha! Been here >3 years and still get stuff for previous tenant. And frustratingly most of them are from India and thus in a language I don't understand. And how do I know that they're in Indian, well... surprisingly enough I assume that any post thru my box is for me and don't think to check the person it's addressed to, so have occasionally opened stuff for him (ish).

Tried the "return to sender" thing, tried "return to sender cos he has died" thing, tried emailing the people the letters are from - still the mail comes.

What miffs me the most is he's getting more interesting mail than I am. :mad: :p
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was still getting post for the previous occupant after over 25 years in my last home

luckily this one is new, so no previous
    although i do get the occasional letter addressed to the developer
    they get filed in the black bag
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For two years i've been getting my landlords mail - nothing to major a few junk and some bad debt letters.
    They go to the recycling bin.
  • GrizzyDeeGrizzyDee Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to do that GrizzyDee, but I don't know the addresses of the previous tenants (the property was empty when I viewed it), so I just "NOT KNOW AT THIS ADDRESS" them and bung them in the postbox.

Getting to be a pain after 30 months.

30 months is excessive and binning after this time is justified IMO. However the OP spoke about 4 months which I think is much more reasonable, whether a forwarding address is written or not known at this address.