Odd things you've always wondered about in films

Comments

• BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do American characters who are down on their luck or fallen on hard times always swig their liquor from a bottle secreted in a brown paper bag?
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Why do American characters who are down on their luck or fallen on hard times always swig their liquor from a bottle secreted in a brown paper bag?

I think that's because of a loophole in the American public drinking laws.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Birdsworth wrote: »
    Why do you NEVER see normal rain in films?

Either it's not raining at all, or there's a monsoon-like deluge (that soaks the characters' clothes in seconds) going on - never anything in between.

And it's always accompanied by thunder and lightning which happens to punctuate any conversation characters are having.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's because of a loophole in the American public drinking laws.

This clip from 'The Wire' might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fV-_eiKxE
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it when a person is in a river/lake etc and being hunted down and shot at, when they put their head below the water and multiple bad guys fire into the water at them, the bullets always seem to zip around them, but never actually hit them?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    ^ Oh, come on. Hollywood films are chockful of highly-trained marksmen who suddenly become terrible shots whenever faced with a character central to the plot. Why should the introduction of a body of water make their aim any better?

Watched Where Eagles Dare a while back. Eastwood and Burton take on almost the entire German army and walk away with barely a scratch. The nazis must've been the worst shots of all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit off original topic but similar to the unrealistic fight scenes/window jump thing...

In 3 or more films this past couple of months i've seen people get down off a tall building by jumping down one of those rubbish/debris chute things like on a building site, the kind that are usually over a skip or something. I'm pretty sure they were all vertical drops and the fact that they fell through a big tube wouldn't have slowed them down to make it safe!

(A Good Day To Die Hard was one, very long drop. Another was Trance, smaller drop but still... Can't remember the others but when i saw Trance on Tuesday i remember thinking "Oh come on, not another one!!")
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    natstally wrote: »
    Bit off original topic but similar to the unrealistic fight scenes/window jump thing...

In 3 or more films this past couple of months i've seen people get down off a tall building by jumping down one of those rubbish/debris chute things like on a building site, the kind that are usually over a skip or something. I'm pretty sure they were all vertical drops and the fact that they fell through a big tube wouldn't have slowed them down to make it safe!

(A Good Day To Die Hard was one, very long drop. Another was Trance, smaller drop but still... Can't remember the others but when i saw Trance on Tuesday i remember thinking "Oh come on, not another one!!")

The theory is that, assuming you land correctly, 7 storeys is what it would take to kill you...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it when a person is in a river/lake etc and being hunted down and shot at, when they put their head below the water and multiple bad guys fire into the water at them, the bullets always seem to zip around them, but never actually hit them?

Oddly, that's not the least convincing thing about such scenes. You'd only need to be about a metre underwater to be pretty much bullet proof.

Bullets disintergrate really fast when fired into water.

Mythbusters has ruined some Hollywood films.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Oddly, that's not the least convincing thing about such scenes. You'd only need to be about a metre underwater to be pretty much bullet proof.

Bullets disintergrate really fast when fired into water.

Mythbusters has ruined some Hollywood films.

Yep was going to mention the Mythbusters episode where they show how ineffective high velocity bullets are once they hit water, they just disintegrate within a few inches or so. Low velocity bullets, from muskets and black powder guns on the other hand do travel quite well under water.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

It's all real I tell ya!
    http://youtu.be/SxHolhr8jpo?t=1h49m15s
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    ^ Oh, come on. Hollywood films are chockful of highly-trained marksmen who suddenly become terrible shots whenever faced with a character central to the plot. Why should the introduction of a body of water make their aim any better?

Watched Where Eagles Dare a while back. Eastwood and Burton take on almost the entire German army and walk away with barely a scratch. The nazis must've been the worst shots of all.

"only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise".

Worst. Shots. Ever.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it when they own a dog in a film its always a golden Labrador or a golden retriever?
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    Why is it when they own a dog in a film its always a golden Labrador or a golden retriever?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PW-TuL82J1s/Tx7z6mWkl5I/AAAAAAAAAEM/RUf1rS8LHUA/s1600/mad-max-2-road-warrior.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mprince wrote: »
    Why do U.S. actors speak so fast?

Why do young U.S. girls speak so fast AND high-pitched?

How can action stars jump through plexi-glass windows WITHOUT knowing what's beneath them (cars, concrete, water, people) and survive?

How come even teenage boys can survive beatings or large falls that would CRIPPLE or KILL adult men?

Why don't popular Black actors like Will Smith and Denzel Washington have popular white actress like Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock or Reese Witherspoon as a love interest in a movie? This is 2013, so many people have interracial romances!

Why are U.S. cops in car chases so reckless and destructive?
    Some of these do but only the Bodyguard is very well known.

http://www.imdb.com/list/SUUCOArWNek/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Also in American werewolf in london..well as if David was just gonna sit on watch tv whilst she took a shower :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Haha! at least there's a slope on that one to slow you down!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The theory is that, assuming you land correctly, 7 storeys is what it would take to kill you...

Not a theory i'd like to test! :p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people who are being haunted/terrorised by demons/ghosts continue to live in the house?
  • peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouting the other person's name into a telephone receiver, when the line has obviously cleared as the dialling tone is audible.

You're involved in some way in a major news story, but when the TV/radio news broadcasts its report, you only listen to the first few sentences before switching off the TV/radio.

You're being pursued by someone but manage to find a good hiding place. Your pursuer rushes past. Why not stay where you are for longer than a few seconds?
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another one that always bugs me is when the good guys manage to knock out the attacker and don't pick up his gun or tie him up! they just rush off , the attacker comes round picks up his gun and carries on after them .
  • bruce9651bruce9651 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I always wonder when there are fight scenes?
    Is it possible to break someone neck by twisting their head to the left or right?

And in crime films/TVs
    How come the police cannot solve a murder but Miss Marple who is an old lady can?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Why do people who are being haunted/terrorised by demons/ghosts continue to live in the house?

It's less stressful than dealing with lawyers, estate agents, removal men and utility companies.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bruce9651 wrote: »

And in crime films/TVs
    How come the police cannot solve a murder but Miss Marple who is an old lady can?

In America, apart from Colombo, I don't think any murders are solved by actual police. You need a middle aged writer, a Vicar, a bored rich couple, a surgeon, a pathologist. Anything but a copper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Not a theory i'd like to test! :p:D

Agreed. It's a figure that widely reported, but I don't think they did any tests to support it, and if you landed on your head or broke your neck, it'd probably be a much smaller height required to kill you...