This is Most Definitely Not An Appreciation Thread **Part 18**

Comments

• sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    Where has everyone gone ? Are you all on Facebook chattering away somewhere else ?

:D No, that's just an ugly rumour.

We're in a cocktail bar around the corner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I replace Tarquin with an Argentinian dancer?

I need to practice my enrosques planeos and Tarquin is a lousy housekeeper.

Hopeful ;)
  • durnovariandurnovarian Posts: 1,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you share... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as you share... ;)

But of course ;)
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is he at mixing drinks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camis wrote: »
    How is he at mixing drinks?

We may need to run a demo to see :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, he can dance - tick.

He can mix drinks - to be confirmed but, hey, sofakat recommends him so that's good enough for me.

If he's good at - other things - ahem - then he's in!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, he can dance - tick.

He can mix drinks - to be confirmed but, hey, sofakat recommends him so that's good enough for me.

If he's good at - other things - ahem - then he's in!

I think perhaps a little list of essentials might be useful. Tarquin took terrible advantage of us and we need some rules.

I'll start it off:

Must be able to lug crates of booze back and forth
    Nifty with a duster and the Pledge
    Good at draping things, fabrics, flowers, fairy lights - and us - across the chaise longues
    Clever with a sewing machine
    Decent cook - flambe skills desirable - and ability prepare amuse-bouche at the drop of a cocktail stick
    Brawn - removing undesirables from the salon privee

Anything else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    I think perhaps a little list of essentials might be useful. Tarquin took terrible advantage of us and we need some rules.

I'll start it off:

Must be able to lug crates of booze back and forth
    Nifty with a duster and the Pledge
    Good at draping things, fabrics, flowers, fairy lights - and us - across the chaise longues
    Clever with a sewing machine
    Decent cook - flambe skills desirable - and ability prepare amuse-bouche at the drop of a cocktail stick
    Brawn - removing undesirables from the salon privee

Anything else?

Must be nifty and creative with the cocktail shaker.
    Must have the brain of Stephen Fry, the wit of Alexander Armstrong, the voice of Alan Rickman, and the looks of Johnny Depp/Richard Armitage/Goran Ivanisevic/current lust-object of DOTs' choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he have upholstery skills? Some of the chaises longues could do with an overhaul.
    Massage skills may be useful as well
  • franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, the hazards of going to a new salsa place for the first time. Last night featured:

- Three classes in one room, which was ridiculously hot so took place in a forest of electric fans (which did pretty much nothing). I mostly understood the teachers' instructions through the medium of mime. I think sign language would have been more effective. That or subtitles.
    - Guy who introduced himself by kissing me sloppily on the cheek (... rather closer to my mouth than is considered usual) and whispering "My name is Tony" in my ear.
    - Guy who told me to demonstrate the "hip decoration" movement, which I was doing while he was turning, because he "needed to make sure I was doing it." *shudders* (spoiler: I refused)
    - Guy who struggled with pretty much every step we did in class, then told me with great condescension that of course it's so much *harder* for the men because they have to lead and the women barely do anything at all. I'd have loved to see him attempt all the double and triple turns we were doing, considering the way he stumbled through simple side steps.
    - Same obnoxious guy asking me if I'd walked there and when I said I took the train, commented "I'm sure Boris Johnson would forgive you." A) Why would I want Boris Johnson to forgive me anything? B) I checked Google when I got home - it would take me 2 hours to walk there. No. And considering what time it finished I'd be dubious of walking back alone even if it were only a 20 minute walk.
    - Guy who complained and made excuses because he wasn't used to cross-body style because *he* had always done Columbian style. I've no idea how Columbian style differs because I've never done it but if that's the style you want to be doing, maybe don't come to a class that's openly advertised as Cuban style?

Sigh. To be fair the remaining three guys in the class were inoffensive, the teachers were good (from what I could tell with all the noise) and the free dancing afterwards seemed pretty well run. Apparently it's normally busier than it was last night so I'll give it another go and hope for the best.
  • PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member
    Oh, the hazards of going to a new salsa place for the first time. Last night featured:

- Three classes in one room, which was ridiculously hot so took place in a forest of electric fans (which did pretty much nothing). I mostly understood the teachers' instructions through the medium of mime. I think sign language would have been more effective. That or subtitles.
    - Guy who introduced himself by kissing me sloppily on the cheek (... rather closer to my mouth than is considered usual) and whispering "My name is Tony" in my ear.
    - Guy who told me to demonstrate the "hip decoration" movement, which I was doing while he was turning, because he "needed to make sure I was doing it." *shudders* (spoiler: I refused)
    - Guy who struggled with pretty much every step we did in class, then told me with great condescension that of course it's so much *harder* for the men because they have to lead and the women barely do anything at all. I'd have loved to see him attempt all the double and triple turns we were doing, considering the way he stumbled through simple side steps.
    - Same obnoxious guy asking me if I'd walked there and when I said I took the train, commented "I'm sure Boris Johnson would forgive you." A) Why would I want Boris Johnson to forgive me anything? B) I checked Google when I got home - it would take me 2 hours to walk there. No. And considering what time it finished I'd be dubious of walking back alone even if it were only a 20 minute walk.
    - Guy who complained and made excuses because he wasn't used to cross-body style because *he* had always done Columbian style. I've no idea how Columbian style differs because I've never done it but if that's the style you want to be doing, maybe don't come to a class that's openly advertised as Cuban style?

Sigh. To be fair the remaining three guys in the class were inoffensive, the teachers were good (from what I could tell with all the noise) and the free dancing afterwards seemed pretty well run. Apparently it's normally busier than it was last night so I'll give it another go and hope for the best.

Can I unappreciate my appreciation of the hilarity of your situation??:D:D:D
    I have just started classes myself and recently ended up with a guy who I am sure could be as old as my dear departed grandfather... Each time we were to do a spin... he kept pulling me towards him as if otherwise we would drown or die or something and our life depended on being stuck together...:rolleyes::rolleyes:... Am not partnering the creepy grandpa again... :eek::mad::mad:
  • allgrownupallgrownup Posts: 7,066
    Forum Member
    Hello darlings!

So pleased about your promotion allgrownup ;) Well done you! Nice work.

Onesies, my arse. Love the idea of jumpsuits though.

Kiss, kiss

Thanks sweetie! I'm pretty pleased about it myself, if I may say so.

A colleague of mine mentioned what a pain in the arse jumpsuits are for going to the loo. So they might not be a good idea with the amount of *alcohol* the average DOT consumes on a Saturday night. ;)
    Can I replace Tarquin with an Argentinian dancer?

I need to practice my enrosques planeos and Tarquin is a lousy housekeeper.

Hopeful ;)

I'm happy you said Argentinian dancer before that otherwise the combination of that and housekeeper would have raised some serious ???? :confused: to the untrained dancer. :D

Glad to see DOTs are as undemanding as ever, anyway....*whistles*

Poor Fran, not much luck with the dance partners. I hear Tarquin is available though. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he have upholstery skills? Some of the chaises longues could do with an overhaul.
    Massage skills may be useful as well

Also must be prepared to stand for lengthy sessions, waving a large feathered fan over the assembled DOTs....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up.

Oh you are fabulous - all of you. I have missed our conflabs xxx
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi just checking in am around just nothing Scd doing at present.

No way to onsies and jumpsuits don't appeal really , we need something to swish when we flounce off.

My vote is for a karabela dress for the name and for the swishing
  • perdiedumplingperdiedumpling Posts: 8,540
    Forum Member
    Another vote against jumpsuits/onesies. Looking like a bag of spuds tied in the middle does not require the appropriate level of class. *sniffs haughtily*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    Hi just checking in am around just nothing Scd doing at present.

No way to onsies and jumpsuits don't appeal really , we need something to swish when we flounce off.

My vote is for a karabela dress for the name and for the swishing

Yes, but, but karabela dress means bare midriff. I am so NOT going there. Mine is not sinuous :-(
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I think in the interest of swishing we ought to have GODETS for flounders everywhere we have to reclaim them from overexcited Welshmen and their obsession

I hate iPads Flouncers Flouncers I actually no I love it except for its insistence on being a spelling tyrant
  • Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    We also need Waltz gowns with added arm hankies.... not for wearing mind, to mop up the booze spills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kmc1978 wrote: »
    We also need Waltz gowns with added arm hankies.... not for wearing mind, to mop up the booze spills.

Gowns? Jumpsuits? All in one's

Got no idea this year. None whatsoever. My well of creativity has run dry :( At this rate we'll be wearing jammies.

Oh hang on, we've done them already *face palm*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

- Guy who struggled with pretty much every step we did in class, then told me with great condescension that of course it's so much *harder* for the men because they have to lead and the women barely do anything at all.

OMG! You poor love. What a bunch of t***s there is no such thing as a 'hip decoration' in salsa. That's just carp. Harder for men? It's the easiest dance in the world to fake, which is just as well because so many men have no natural Latin movement anyway and they never get salsa unless they are latino. Women get it much faster and do it better.

As for Colombian salsa - it's very, very fast and I have never seen an English man master it or ever get the footwaor right. You never see it anywhere anymore either in the UK. You have to go to Italy or Spain and find yourself a cute Colombian :D

Lordy, I hope it gets better for you! I shall fret about you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unappreciating the so-called rumours for this year so far. Nobody to get even slightly excited about. Hoping they are all wrong and we end up with a bunch of classy celebs who actually want to learn how to dance, rather than just boost their flagging careers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unappreciating the so-called rumours for this year so far. Nobody to get even slightly excited about. Hoping they are all wrong and we end up with a bunch of classy celebs who actually want to learn how to dance, rather than just boost their flagging careers.

Classy? I live in hope. Some decent looking men would be nice. It would be such a nice change if they weren't all inarticulate, chip-on-the-shoulder, soap-actorish birdbrains too.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

At the moment I'm relying on the new male pro Aljaž Skorjanec (yes, of course I cut and pasted that) to keep my interest as still no Goran rumour from the press and my other dream pick, Oscar P is a wee bit unlikely now, no one rumoured really grabbing my interest :(
This discussion has been closed.