BT Sport Is Virgin Media Getting It?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Yet a VM employee confirmed the staff have been told jack.

I have just heard different, not saying the other is a liar by any means. But some will be in better positions than others to be told stuff surely?
  • ShawnaShawna Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The member reported speeds of over 300mbs are been trialled by BT,
    I'm sure, but it's hardly a mass-market proposition. BT's new FTTP-on-Demand service will incur a fixed £500 one-off installation fee, which will be in addition to a distance-based construction charge. BT estimates that more than half of premises will incur a distance based charge of £200 to £1,000, with other premises facing a charge of £1,400 to £3,500. Oh, and a 36 month contract.
    any idea what VM will be offering?
    18 month contracts, free installation, 6 to 12 months half price, superior bundles (now including free TV and a free TiVo PVR). A host of cable companies operating in different geographical locations invested billions in their networks, Virgin Media now reap the benefit of this investment and Liberty Global have already stated that they will further boost the speed of the network. Liberty offer 50Mb as the entry level product in Ireland and are rolling out 200Mb and 500Mb in other territories. The adoption of DOCSIS 3.1 will see Virgin able to offer possible 1Gb to 10Gb download speeds by late 2014 or early 2015. The upgrade costs for such work will be relatively minor in contrast to the many billions needed to create BT's FTTC and FTTH/P network. Virgin noted that the cost of moving to DOCSIS 3.1 would be similar to the £110m they've recently spent on doubling speeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    This is from cable.co.uk:

Virgin Media reportedly close to BT Sport carriage deal

Tuesday, July 30th 2013 by Nigel Adie
    Virgin Media said to be close to signing carriage deal for BT Sport
    BT and Virgin Media are thought to be close to making a deal on the carriage of BT Sport channels.

The finishing touches are reportedly being put to a deal that will see Virgin Media team up with BT in order to offer customers the latter's new Sport package.

According to Broadcast, the telecoms companies have been in negotiations for some time and are eager to establish a contract ahead of BT Sport going live on Thursday (August 1st), although it is not yet clear if this will involve Virgin charging viewers for the service as a standalone product.

Should the deal go ahead, it will mean the three BT Sport channels - BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN - can be offered to four million Britons who currently get their pay TV from Virgin.

"We're always looking to bring the best possible value and choice of great quality content to our customers and we're talking to BT about how we could potentially make the forthcoming BT Sport package available," said a Virgin Media spokesperson.

All BT broadband customers have free access to the online BT Sport player and mobile app. In addition, BT Sport is free to Infinity customers with a BT TV package and to BT broadband customers who have a Sky set-top box.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,306
    Forum Member
    That is just a rehash of the Broadcast Now article
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    renno69 wrote: »
    well the TV adverts say you need a sky box to view it, which is why i mentioned it so you can cut out the roll eyes bs

The :rolleyes: was for your lack of common sense, after all, it would be like Asda buying the rights to something, then saying you had to buy it in Sainsburys, why would BT pay over £700 million on something, then not offer it on their own tv service?

Also, it is clearly stated on their website - http://www.bt.com/sport/
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Shawna wrote: »
    I'm sure, but it's hardly a mass-market proposition. BT's new FTTP-on-Demand service will incur a fixed £500 one-off installation fee, which will be in addition to a distance-based construction charge. BT estimates that more than half of premises will incur a distance based charge of £200 to £1,000, with other premises facing a charge of £1,400 to £3,500. Oh, and a 36 month contract.

18 month contracts, free installation, 6 to 12 months half price, superior bundles (now including free TV and a free TiVo PVR). A host of cable companies operating in different geographical locations invested billions in their networks, Virgin Media now reap the benefit of this investment and Liberty Global have already stated that they will further boost the speed of the network. Liberty offer 50Mb as the entry level product in Ireland and are rolling out 200Mb and 500Mb in other territories. The adoption of DOCSIS 3.1 will see Virgin able to offer possible 1Gb to 10Gb download speeds by late 2014 or early 2015. The upgrade costs for such work will be relatively minor in contrast to the many billions needed to create BT's FTTC and FTTH/P network. Virgin noted that the cost of moving to DOCSIS 3.1 would be similar to the £110m they've recently spent on doubling speeds.

Where have you seen that BT intend to start offering 36 month contracts? That seems ridiculously long. I work BT and a lot of people are put off by 18 months contracts. 36 months is obviously double that!

You can't really compare Liberty Global's investment in another country to this one. How much debt is the other company in? VM is in debt to the tune of billions and the network is already at saturation point. I can't see Liberty ploughing millions upon millions more into VM when they're not going recoup their investment.
    Forum Member
    Shawna wrote: »

martine93 wrote: »
    That just rehash of the Broadcast Now article.

The article that stated that we were supposed to have a big announcement yesterday. I'll take this all with a large dose of salt.
    Forum Member
    The article that stated that we were supposed to have a big announcement yesterday. I'll take this all with a large dose of salt.

Do you not think we will get Bt sport? I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that some big steps had been taken towards striking a deal.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    there wont be an announcement and there wont be BT sports.

We will just have to live with it!
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I phoned Virgin a couple of days ago to ask about BT Sports as I was planning on switching if they werent getting it, I was told that there was nothing official yet but they were 100% getting it... now I know it wouldnt be a huge shock to be lied to by a company to keep your business but as their calls are recorded wouldnt it look pretty bad on them if the CS advisor was lying??
    Forum Member
    there wont be an announcement and there wont be BT sports.

We will just have to live with it!

I think you're wrong, a few weeks ago I might have agreed.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    safc_1879 wrote: »
    I think you're wrong, a few weeks ago I might have agreed.

hope I am proved wrong.
  • MJH1962MJH1962 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Do you not think we will get Bt sport? I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that some big steps had been taken towards striking a deal.

Its not common "knowledge" at all, just continued speculation and mainly re-hashing of the same old theories. The reality is that BT will not do a deal until Virgin and/or its subscribers pay a realistic fee. As at last week, Virgin was not prepared to agree to this. The proof of this being the case is that fact that there is still no announcement and we are now one day from launch.

BT does not need to do this deal as much as Virgin does, so unless Virgin budges and faces up to reality, nothing will be agreed.
    Forum Member
    MJH1962 wrote: »
    Its not common "knowledge" at all, just continued speculation and mainly re-hashing of the same old theories. The reality is that BT will not do a deal until Virgin and/or its subscribers pay a realistic fee. As at last week, Virgin was not prepared to agree to this. The proof of this being the case is that fact that there is still no announcement and we are now one day from launch.

BT does not need to do this deal as much as Virgin does, so unless Virgin budges and faces up to reality, nothing will be agreed.

Id say they both need it, Virgin for obvious reasons. But Bt have only lured 23,000 TV subscribers in the last 3 months and imo virgin are miles ahead of bt in terms of Internet so are less likely to jump ship like sky customers would.

I think it's a deal both sides need to make
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.J wrote: »
    I phoned Virgin a couple of days ago to ask about BT Sports as I was planning on switching if they werent getting it, I was told that there was nothing official yet but they were 100% getting it... now I know it wouldnt be a huge shock to be lied to by a company to keep your business but as their calls are recorded wouldnt it look pretty bad on them if the CS advisor was lying??

Don't know how anyone could say this, if no deal has been done (at that point), and no one at VM CS level know anything, how can they confirm 100% it is coming.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Don't know how anyone could say this, if no deal has been done (at that point), and no one at VM CS level know anything, how can they confirm 100% it is coming.

I think what you say is correct.

But do you think these channels are launching tomorrow? It dosen't look like it to a layman like me!

Even the poster oldboy who has been saying for months they are definitely launching must be doubting it now.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id say they both need it, Virgin for obvious reasons. But Bt have only lured 23,000 TV subscribers in the last 3 months and imo virgin are miles ahead of bt in terms of Internet so are less likely to jump ship like sky customers would.

I think it's a deal both sides need to make

Agree. £12 for SD and £15 for HD. But if as you say VM customers are less likely to jump ship, add an extra couple of quid on!!
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted yesterday:
    UPC IrelandHi folks. Just letting you know that we will be making a big announcement about Setanta, BT & ESPN tomorrow, so stay tuned :) Eamonn

https://twitter.com/UPCIreland

Presumably Virgin Media has to deal direct with BT in the UK so this is no indication that a deal will be done for the UK.
  • St@mmieSt@mmie Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Switching isn't a realistic option for me, with VM I get 120mb bb but both the BT and Sky postcode checkers I'm told the max I can get is 15mb.
    I wont be considering a switch until I can get a comparable tv service and broadband to what I have now, so if BT don't agree a deal with VM my (and the others like me) money wont be going their way.
    It will be another example where big business's closed practices forces me into being a pirate.
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Posted yesterday:
    UPC IrelandHi folks. Just letting you know that we will be making a big announcement about Setanta, BT & ESPN tomorrow, so stay tuned :) Eamonn

https://twitter.com/UPCIreland

Presumably Virgin Media has to deal direct with BT in the UK so this is no indication that a deal will be done for the UK.

Sounds like they have reached a deal with bt. Surely that bodes well for others looking to do the same?
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No idea, just saying what I was told.

Just found it odd that they seemed very confident over it, its very poor service if they are misleading people like that.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Posted yesterday:

Sounds like they have reached a deal with bt. Surely that bodes well for others looking to do the same?
    No, Setanta has a master licence for the BT Sport channels in Ireland. No direct deal has been done between UPC and BT.
    Forum Member

I don't think we're going to get it until BT have maximised the potential subscriber base they are likely to get. I would imagine it would be after the first couple of weekends matches at the very earliest. I will be very surprised if we get it any earlier.
    Forum Member
    Lisa.J wrote: »

I work for BT and have been told the exact opposite so some company is lying.
    I still have friends who work for VM in Birmingham and asked them if they have heard anything and they have been told the usual which is "Talks are ongoing." and this is exactly what their twitter account says too. A front line agent isn't going to know any different, so I would suggest you was either lied to or they were just giving you their opinion.