Elderly Cat Back Legs Very Weak Advice Please

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
Forum Member
My cat will be 17 in January I have had her for 16 years.The other day I noticed that she was having difficulty just jumping up on the sofa and she would use her claws to pull herself up.

I took her to the Vets yesterday and the vet said that she thought it was to do with her spine or nerve endings.For a while now I have noticed when I lift her she does meow a little and sometimes when she is standing her front legs tremble slightly.Her back legs though have just got so weak over the past few days she walks and stretches them behind her and kind of drags them.If she has been resting she gets up and falls on her side she seems to have little control in them.

The good news she is carrying on and eating well using her litter tray and today I sat her in the garden in her basket for a little while as it was quite sunny.I'm trying to keep a hot water bottle under her blanket and sitting her next to the radiator etc and I am lucky to be around as I work from home so I can and will tend to her every need that is not a problem.

The vet gave her Metacam injection and I have given her the same by mouth today.The vet said that the problem will only get worse in time.Does anyone have any positive advice (IE) things I can do to help her even more I have no intention of getting her put to sleep as she is NOT in any pain and I can be here for her 24 7 365 .I'm just sick with worry she is just EVERYTHING to me and we are always together life is so crap sometimes.:mad:

Comments

• hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry I cant advise, but I think elderly cats are very special. I'm sure you'll cherish the time you have left. The vet may be right- she may well only get worse, but hopefully not for while yet.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Thanks you I realy appreciate your kind words I'm just devastated!
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my cat got old we put a step next to the things she liked to climb on like the sofa and the bed...it helped her a lot,
    it was big enough for her to sit on and about half the height of the thing she wanted to get on ( i hope that makes sense)
    she had arthritis and she also had metacam for a while but not for long and the vet gave her steroids to help with any inflamation.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When our dogs get like this we put some homemade steps up to the sofa and bed etc so they don't have to leap up and down. Ramp for car etc. Should imagine you could make something work to make the situation easier for a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat is elderly and seems to have lost the spring in his back legs. When he gets up on the bed he sticks his claws in and seems to pull himself up. I'm the same as you, as long as he is not in pain and seems happy will just look after him. They're just like us, get a bit doddery as they get older and need lots of love and care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Thanks I took her to the vets this morning and had bloods taken and the results are good just one group lightly down which is linked to muscle wastage.I'm taking her for an xray on thursday morning.So fingers crossed the vet is saying that it may ave something to do with her spine .She is doing ok though and is getting lots and lost of tlc and kisses and cuddles.Thanks for replying to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I hope she's ok. Mine, about a year ago was particularly bad with his back legs, crying when picked up, and he had an abscess next to his spine. He was loads better after a course of antibiotics. Hopefully it will be something simple.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,411
    Forum Member
    Elderly Cat Back Legs Very Weak Advice Please

In a word, Salmopet. It's salmon oil for older cats and dogs and it contains Omega 3 oils that are meant to be good for heart, joints, skin and fur.

On top of that, you can improve cat quality of life by little plays, fur stroking, treats that they like and grooming with a brush, etc. My cat likes grooming with a hairbrush like this http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=hairbrush&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=35277026&biw=1024&bih=594&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15879195681481345380&sa=X&ei=cwZ_UOO4IK7J0AXPsYHwDQ&ved=0CJMBEPICMAU and I assume it's like a massage for her.
  • Kris_DeeKris_Dee Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    iWish, I just joined this forum to see how your cat is? Mine has the same problem so I have been searching online for other similar cases and fell upon this thread. How is she and did you ever get a diagnosis? Mine has been diagnosed with arthritis but I'm not convinced. I think it has something to do with a trapped nerve or disk disease. Like your cat, my cats bloods and poo all came back as normal.

Thanks,

Kris
This discussion has been closed.