The Ratings Thread (Part 58)

Comments

• yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The Guess List is getting a lot of promotion. There are multiple trailers for the show, not just one. They seem to be on high rotation.

Going out in that timeslot what could The Guess List realistically get? Just hope to inherit the Casualty audience?
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    EastEnders not up by that much on Thursday. A big episode for Good Friday they'd better promote it.

EE acually level with last Friday - its the Thursday number that was low. Big episode on a Friday - will they never learn?
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    EE acually level with last Friday - its the Thursday number that was low. Big episode on a Friday - will they never learn?

I would actually say the Monday and Tuesday aftermath episodes are bigger.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders not up by that much on Thursday. A big episode for Good Friday they'd better promote it.

I don't understand why they don't air their big episodes on Monday and then the rest of the week is aftermath.
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going out in that timeslot what could The Guess List realistically get? Just hope to inherit the Casualty audience?

Didn't Catherine Tate's Nan episode get around 4m in January in the same timeslot? This has had slightly more promotion, but it's not coming off the back of Christmas like Nan. So somewhere between 3 and 4 million maybe, perhaps closer to 3 million?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Apart frm Jamie Foxx maybe the other two weren't big draws for people to tune in. All Spider man sofa was a bit off putting maybe.

I'm not sure Jamie Foxx was much of a draw with young people compared to Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. Would be interesting to see how Chatty Man did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure Jamie Foxx was much of a draw with young people compared to Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. Would be interesting to see how Chatty Man did.

Good point although I thought Graham's audience was skewed a bit older tbh compared to Alan's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    I would actually say the Monday and Tuesday aftermath episodes are bigger.

How long will the interest carry on from Good Friday though? And if there is a boost will people stay with it or drift away as the storyline won't be resolved until next year. If EastEnders doesn't get a boost now I doubt it will for the rest of the year.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably more than had it aired earlier. Remember its not unknown for a Mrs Brown repeat or something that is just shoved there to fill before MOTD rates better than most of the other programmes shown all night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point although I thought Graham's audience was skewed a bit older tbh compared to Alan's.

Very true. I think Norton's audience is slightly older than Carr's but it usually doesn't go that low.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Channel 5 Programme Information
    w/c 26th April

* Brand new series GPs: Behind Closed Doors and Bloody Tales of the Tower;
    * New countdown show Greatest Ever War Movies along with special screening of The Dam Busters and What The Dambusters Did Next;
    * Movie premiere The Other Guys (2010) starring Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg;
    * Disney's Lilo and Stitch is the family movie.

Channel 5 really love those countdown shows don't they which is fine by me becasue so do I
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Apart frm Jamie Foxx maybe the other two weren't big draws for people to tune in. All Spider man sofa was a bit off putting maybe.

Yeah, I didn't watch last night for that reason - not a particularly inspiring guest list.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV soaps:

Emmerdale: 5.63m (32.7%) / 5.75m (33.4%)
    Coronation Street: 7.21m (37.2%) / 7.35m (37.9%)
    Coronation Street: 6.83m (30.1%) / 7.02m (30.9%)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    ITV soaps:

Thanks DMN I think the soap era is over just like the US twenty years ago. Comedies/
    dramas are the new ratings pleasers.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    The idea of Business Breakfast these days is just so appealing, it was very much like Collaterlie Sisters on The Day Today, things like the Currency Susan certainly weren't that far from the truth. The mid-nineties Breakfast News was surely the acme of Birtism, reaching of course its heights when it looked exactly like the Nine O'Clock News, nobody wants to watch a three hour news bulletin at 6am.

Well I don't think the BBC would want an hour dedicated to business news anymore, nor will ITV. But I do see a place for proper business news on somewhere like Channel 4, a Working Lunch style breakfast programme. Possibly only for 90 mins or something like that.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    EE just isn't delivering and it's getting back to that period last year when the so called me too soap has overtaken it( mind you Emmerdale isn't doing brilliantly either). I wonder if EE is entering a slow period of decline as where a couple of years ago 8 million was a regular ratings it's falling towards 6 million.

It's a shame but it will take a long long time for ratings to pick up, if they ever do. The quality is much superior to last year and the show's really watchable but it'll take more than the Lucy Beale story to ignite interest, frankly. Viewing figures have remained stubbornly around the 31% mark, which must be of slight concern, because that means it will crumble against BGT and post some pretty low figures (below 6 million, possibly below 5) in the summer if we have a heatwave.

And those figures just aren't good enough. Especially when EE has actually consistently been a million or so down on Corrie when HD's factored into Corrie's figures.
    JayLee1 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt Lucy Beale's exit will ignite the viewing figures for reasons that have been discussed elsewhere at length but, to summarise:

- Lucy's exit airs on Good Friday. Friday is always poor for EastEnders and it is the start of the Easter weekend (no doubt Emmerdale and Coronation Street will ironically rate higher on Good Friday);
    - Lucy Beale may be a legacy character but the actress playing her has only been in role for 2 years and has not really made an impact on the viewing audience;
    - the build-up to Lucy's exit has been poorly plotted and paced. She's hardly featured at all this week, for example
    - yes, there will be a publicity blitz with a specially filmed trailer but no trailers for EastEnders have seen an upturn in viewing figures going back to late last summer.

Exactly. I completely agree. I actually don't think Lucy's death will provide the boost to EE...I think the ongoing Stan/Mick/Shirley story is much better paced and will provide EE with the long-term boost. Reminds me a bit of the Archie/Ronnie story.

P.S: Didn't realise Good Friday was next week. In that case the pacing has been pretty rubbish then. It's happening too fast. And thing is, Lucy isn't really a character I care a great deal about.
    Oooh, I think we might need Steve Williams for that one. I was never up early enough for Business Breakfast. :D

Don't even remember Business Breakfast, which should give a clue as to how old (or young) I am :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks DMN I think the soap era is over just like the US twenty years ago. Comedies/
    dramas are the new ratings pleasers.

Also I think factual is starting to become a force for ratings again, certainly is for Channel 4. I think we could see a few big hits this year.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be interesting to see how The Cube did in the Friday slot. Could be a new home for it if it went well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I think factual is starting to become a force for ratings again, certainly is for Channel 4. I think we could see a few big hits this year.

Will they sacrifice GBBO to prop up EE and curtail the ITV soap sandwich?
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV soaps:

Emmerdale is looking poor but the One Show is too. Maybe it is the bright evenings affecting ratings
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    The Guest List has been getting major trailing on BBC services including radio. But I didn't see anything mentioned about it on BBC News which will have limited its potential publicity. The target for that slot will be about 3.5m imagine and beating Law and Order.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV soaps:

Adding in Eastenders 6.24 really does ram home just how throwaway soap has become since the glory days. Countryfile might beat all these figures on Sunday.
    And to think we have a World Cup and possibly heat disrupted summer to come.
    Forum Member
    ITV soaps:

Perhaps putting the EE ratings into a bit more context. ED share OK but the figure is bad.
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful rating for the second CS. EE stuck around the same figures. I don't think the soap era is over, but it will take a long time for viewers to come back to EE after the terrible state it was in last year. With regards to CS, it's the poor quality that's turning people away. If the quality was there, I think it could still quite easily be pulling in a million extra viewers.

The Graham Norton figure is a bit low, which is surprising because I thought the guests were particularly good last night. Maybe it was hit by Alan Carr.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Adding in Eastenders 6.24 really does ram home just how throwaway soap has become since the glory days. Countryfile might beat all these figures on Sunday.
    And to think we have a World Cup and possibly heat disrupted summer to come.
    But Eastenders' 6.24million is worth more than Countryfiles 7mill because it has a younger audience, who are tougher to reach.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have I Got News for You continues to top Friday night ratings

Have I Got News For You was once again Friday's (April 11) highest-rated show outside of soaps.

Hosted by Green Wing and Episodes actor Stephen Mangan, the comedy panel show was seen by an average of 4.71 million people (22.1%).

The One Show opened the evening with 3.26 million viewers (19%) at 7pm, and was followed by 2.85 million (15.1%) for A Question of Sport at 7.30pm.

Ratings jumped to 3.95m (17.6%) for the latest episode of Masterchef at 8.30pm, while Outnumbered attracted 3.05 million (14.7%) at 9.30pm.

BBC One capped off the evening with 2.80 million (21.4%) for The Graham Norton Show at 10.35pm. Norton was joined by Spider-Man stars Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx and Andrew Garfield, as well as musical guest Paolo Nutini.

Over on ITV, The Cube: Celebrity Special saw Joey Essex and Coronation Street's Kym Marsh attempt to win £250k for charity. The episode entertained 2.91 million (14.1%) at 9pm.

Elsewhere, Weekend Escapes with Warwick Davis was seen by 2.61 million (12.6%) at 8pm.

BBC Two's highest-rated show of the evening was Mastermind with 2.40m (11.6%) at 8pm. It was closely followed by Gardeners' World with 2.34m (10.4%) immediately after.

The evening continued with Natural World and The Trip to Italy, which attracted 1.55m (7.4%) and 1.08m (6%) viewers respectively.

Gogglebox once again topped Channel 4's ratings with 2.01m (9.5%) at 9pm. It was followed by 1.44m (9%) for Alan Carr: Chatty Man at 10pm, while 840k (4.2%) watched Marvel's Agents of SHIELD at 8pm.

The latest episode of Ice Road Truckers entertained 758k (3.5%) at 8pm on Channel 5. It was roundly beaten by Gypsies on Benefits & Proud, which drew an audience of 1.45 million (6.9%) at 9pm.

BBC Three movie Tropic Thunder was seen by 371k (1.9%) at 9pm, while A Touch of Frost picked up 588k (2.8%) at 8pm on ITV3.
This discussion has been closed.