RIP . . do people actually think?

Comments

• bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You'd have to be pretty dense to be unable to separate the objective fact of the situation from the sentiment behind the comment.

This :)
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I agree, but still non-believers are questioning the existence of God despite Jesus dying for them.

You are joking right? :confused:
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit the phrase "RIP" does really annoy me. All it tells me is that you don't think the deceased person is worth the extra time and effort to type out "Rest in peace" in full.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    You are joking right? :confused:

No I am not.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :blush:
    Would it be appropriate to say something like that if you don't believe in life beyond? Wouldn't it be a tad hypocritical?

Surely you can say something that offers genuine comfort yet isn't hypocritical?
    Give us an example of what you would say to someone wracked with grief.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    here

Depending on what side of the fence you are on, it was either a systematic attempt by the leftie PC brigade to ban Christmas because it might offend Muslims (almost time honoured now ;-)) or a perfectly reasonable attempt at diversity and inclusivity in a multi-cultural provincial City, which got jumped on by the media and was stopped because of the controversy created.

I'm going with the latter option.

The ridiculousness of the continual regurgitation of the word Winterval is only made by the ignorant, those ignorant of the true facts and I'm thankful that you don't fall under that category, blueblade.

Birmingham did NOT ban Christmas, Birmingham took the opportunity to incorporate the celebrations of the many faiths that existed at that time during October, November and December within the multicultural city of Birmingham, such as Diwali, Hanukkah, Chinese New Year and Ramadan. It would seem that it couldn't do right for doing wrong and the wrong bit, sadly, is that it lingers on through the ignoramuses of this world who see a conspiracy where there never was a conspiracy in the first place.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    The ridiculousness of the continual regurgitation of the word Winterval is only made by the ignorant, those ignorant of the true facts and I'm thankful that you don't fall under that category, blueblade.

Birmingham did NOT ban Christmas, Birmingham took the opportunity to incorporate the celebrations of the many faiths that existed at that time during October, November and December within the multicultural city of Birmingham, such as Diwali, Hanukkah, Chinese New Year and Ramadan. It would seem that it couldn't do right for doing wrong and the wrong bit, sadly, is that it lingers on through the ignoramuses of this world who see a conspiracy where there never was a conspiracy in the first place.

Ramadan and Chinese New Year aren't at that time of year.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member

Ramadan is in June/July. Chinese New Year is in February.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Ramadan and Chinese New Year aren't at that time of year.
    Ramadan is in June/July. Chinese New Year is in February.

The Ramadan dates aren't set in stone, unlike the Christian Christmas. Do your homework. ;)

As for Chinese New Year, a good excuse to keep the illuminations alight for another month. ;)
    Forum Member
    The Ramadan dates aren't set in stone, unlike the Christian Christmas. Do your homework. ;)

As for Chinese New Year, a good excuse to keep the illuminations alight for another month. ;)
    Charming response. I'm aware Ramadan is related to the moon, and is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar. but it's not generally in winter. Please don't be patronising. Thank you.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you'd done your homework in the first place I wouldn't have said it. It sounds like a stupid idea. It'd be like saying let's include Easter in Ramadan because neither set of dates are in stone and we can be all inclusive of everyone.
    Forum Member
    If you'd done your homework in the first place I wouldn't have said it. It sounds like a stupid idea. It'd be like saying let's include Easter in Ramadan because neither set of dates are in stone and we can be all inclusive of everyone.
    Hell, yeah!! I like your style, Mr BB :)
  • Boneman1946Boneman1946 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Actually, RIP stands for "requiescat in pace" meaning "may he/she rest in peace'. It just happens that the English 'rest in peace' also fits.

There is debate of whether that request applies to the bodily remains, the soul/spirit or even both.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rest in peace. I take it to mean, no more pain, hurt, life as we know it. Its a release. A requiem. A beautiful end. Rest in peace means jack. But you take it how you wish to.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the irony is that their location is supposedly the sixth circle of hell and yet they don't believe in an afterlife? Or perhaps the irony is that they don't understand irony?

No the irony is someone telling me I cannot understand the words of primitive Bronze Age goat herders and their savage desert 'God'.

And the fact that they regard those words as more reliable than 21st century scientific evidence.

Thanks.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the irony is someone telling me I cannot understand the words of primitive Bronze Age goat herders and their savage desert 'God'.

And the fact that they regard those words as more reliable than 21st century scientific evidence.

Thanks.

I sometimes wonder if Jurassic Park is quite offensive, it must be difficult to watch if you have been tricked into thinking the world is only 5000-10,000 years old despite an enormous amount of proof that its much older.

(and a lot of this proof isnt new cutting edge stuff either, we have known about dinosaurs for quite a few hundred years now for a start)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if Jurassic Park is quite offensive, it must be difficult to watch if you have been tricked into thinking the world is only 5000-10,000 years old despite an enormous amount of proof that its much older.

(and a lot of this proof isnt new cutting edge stuff either, we have known about dinosaurs for quite a few hundred years now for a start)

You should read the numerous posts I have made in the God thread on evolution, comparative anatomy, biochemistry and genetics.

We are simply highly modified Lobe-Finned fish (Sarcopterygians) nothing more, nothing less.

But it is like banging my head against a brick wall. :(
  • Incognito777Incognito777 Posts: 2,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't personally believe the universe exploded from nothing for no reason and accidentally created everything including intelligent life with no purpose.
    I believe we are here by design lets call him god. There is alot we don't know. But you wouldn't think that from reading on here, its like smug central.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    You wanted everybody to agree with you.

It's a discussion forum not an everybody agree with me forum so you're wrong.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't personally believe the universe exploded from nothing for no reason and accidentally created everything including intelligent life with no purpose.
    I believe we are here by design lets call him god. There is alot we don't know. But you wouldn't think that from reading on here, its like smug central.

That's a pretty smug mischaracterisation.
    Top 10 Myths and Fallacies about Atheism

3. Atheists believe the universe was created out of nothing

Many theists oddly claim that atheists believe “something came from nothing.” In fact, many (if not most) atheists and agnostics believe reality is eternal and uncreated. There is nobody serious who literally thinks that something can arise from nothing.

This fallacy once again stems from the theistic viewpoint. Christians, Muslims and others believe reality has a beginning, and was created by God. So when they learn that atheists do not believe in God, they imagine substituting "nothing" for "God." In the absence of God there is nothing, so they mistakenly assume atheists believe something (reality) came from nothing.

This hidden theistic assumption produces leading questions like “if you don’t believe in God, then where did everything come from?” This question assumes that things "came from" somewhere.

http://secularist10.hubpages.com/hub/Top-10-Myths-and-Fallacies-about-Atheism
    Forum Member
    Smug central? Seriously? :o

A few differences of opinion, nothing smug about that. Some believe in the afterlife, some don't.

So what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »

I didn't mention anything about atheism.... I don't know what they believe in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A few differences of opinion, nothing smug about that. Some believe in the afterlife, some don't.

So what?

Exactly.

Someone who told people that they were there to 'teach them' about 'salvation' on another thread should not bandy the word 'smug' around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what?

Well I mean to those people that are like "No we definitely were not created" then proceed with little smug comments to make out other people are dumb. Read through you will find alot of them.
  • Paul_phelanPaul_phelan Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    The letters RIP seem to be used so readily both by people who know someone who's died and people responding to the death of someone they don't actually know.

But do people realise it's nonsense to state RIP?

The person is dead and no more. Their living existence has come to an end and all that is left is a decomposing organic shell. There is no 'rest in peace'. There is nothing.

There is no 'rest'. Death is not an extended kip - it's the end of living.

And as for 'peace', a person who is dead is just that . . dead. No peace, no torment . . just nothing.

You are wrong. Last August my dear Dad died. His old clock had not been working for a long time. Day after Dad died his clock started working and still works today. Also a few weeks after Dad died, I heard foot steps in the hall. I go up went into the kitchen and where he used to smoke his pipe, there was smoke.
    Who knows? When I died in 2003 during a big operation I saw and spoke to my dear Mom who died in 1992. I then woke up 10 days later after the operation. I told everyone what happened even Mr Edwards what he said during my operation:co