Options

The CNBC Appreciation Thread

cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
Forum Member
edited 24/10/23 - 10:42 in Broadcasting #1
I decided to set up a thread for CNBC watchers :D to talk about the channel and news, favourite shows/news anchors etc.

Have fun :)

Comments

• Options
    tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad they have NBC Nightly news back. Since Charlie Gibson left ABC its the only US news I can watch and enjoy.

As a channel its ok but given like the rest of the world it missed the looming credit crunch I tend not to take what they say to seriously
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tellyadict wrote: »
    Glad they have NBC Nightly news back. Since Charlie Gibson left ABC its the only US news I can watch and enjoy.

As a channel its ok but given like the rest of the world it missed the looming credit crunch I tend not to take what they say to seriously

I rarely watch ABC News as I'm normally in bed when it's on and I've gone off CBS but I agree NBC Nightly News is good. It's often hard to take the analysis the economists (or stiffs I call them) seriously. I always preferred CNBC to Bloomberg though, don't know why.
  • Options
    tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely watch ABC News as I'm normally in bed when it's on and I've gone off CBS but I agree NBC Nightly News is good. It's often hard to take the analysis the economists (or stiffs I call them) seriously. I always preferred CNBC to Bloomberg though, don't know why.

I thinks its faster passed and it you get the Dow tanking they go crazy such as when the TARP bill failed the first time through congress. Maybe you just get hypnotised by the ticker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tellyadict wrote: »
    I thinks its faster passed and it you get the Dow tanking they go crazy such as when the TARP bill failed the first time through congress. Maybe you just get hypnotised by the ticker.

I often do, the ticker on CNBC's Asian shows late at night often sends me to sleep and I can only watch those shows for a few minutes before I head upstairs to the computer or to go to bed. I could spot a CNBC ticker on a TV screen for miles :D I like watching Jim Cramer rant at half 7 every evening too, and of course Maria Bartiromo's good. IMO she's the "star" of CNBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Signed up to CNBC's viewer panel today :D Hopefully that'll go well. Any other CNBC watchers here ever signed up to it?
  • Options
    dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to know how old you are and what the massive appeal is to CNBC?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    here's a question for CNBCwatcher.

You're rumored to watch CNBC occasionally ;)

I keep meaning to catch up with ' The Tonight Show with Jay Leno' but can never find out who is on. Where do you look for detailed CNBC listings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dids858 wrote: »
    I would love to know how old you are and what the massive appeal is to CNBC?

I'm 20 and I'm a business student so find CNBC useful in that sense, but also 'cause I ind it more interesting than some of the other rubbish on TV these days.
    here's a question for CNBCwatcher, you're rumored to watch CNBC occasionally ;), I keep meaning to catch up with ' The Tonight Show with Jay Leno' but can never find out who is on. Where do you look for detailed CNBC listings?

Here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/25098361/

Or Google Sky TV listings, look for the news section and then CNBC. Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or Google Sky TV listings, look for the news section and then CNBC. Hope this helps :)
    Usually EPG and website listings just say "The long-running American chat show hosted by comedian Jay Leno." but give no detail more than that. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Usually EPG and website listings just say "The long-running American chat show hosted by comedian Jay Leno." but give no detail more than that. Any ideas?

Can't really think right now :o It used to mention the guests on the EPG but it doesn't any more.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here you are.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15838609
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's OK. Great if I'm in the mood to watch loads of scrolling text when I get home from work!

The only thing I would like to see is more MSNBC re-broadcast from America during the weekends, rather than creaky week old golf highlights and shows you've seen before on CNBC Life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MartS wrote: »
    It's OK. Great if I'm in the mood to watch loads of scrolling text when I get home from work!

The only thing I would like to see is more MSNBC re-broadcast from America during the weekends, rather than creaky week old golf highlights and shows you've seen before on CNBC Life.

You get used to the ticker after a while :D I agree about MSNBC though, they show too many repeats of documentaries and stuff. My mum used to watch the golf though. I don't really watch CNBC at weekends except for Maria Bartiromo's Wall St Journal Report.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    I like some of the shows on CNBC, but I think Fox news is definitely better, I would love to see the Fox Business network on Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ Would be interesting to check out alright. Getting Sky installed next week so I'll have Fox News anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I wish they would show some of the US shows, other than the repeats of weeks old golf and stuff. I watch Keith Olbermann online, and as an antidote to the loony Glen Beck and O'Reilly on Fox it is a fascinating watch. He goes off the deep end himself now and again but it is a refreshing change to the right wing nutters and airheads on Fox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    paulmbe wrote: »
    I wish they would show some of the US shows, other than the repeats of weeks old golf and stuff. I watch Keith Olbermann online, and as an antidote to the loony Glen Beck and O'Reilly on Fox it is a fascinating watch. He goes off the deep end himself now and again but it is a refreshing change to the right wing nutters and airheads on Fox.

Fox News or CNBC? I'm just back from CNBC watching now :cool: I was watching US Closing Bell.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get used to the ticker after a while :D I agree about MSNBC though, they show too many repeats of documentaries and stuff. My mum used to watch the golf though. I don't really watch CNBC at weekends except for Maria Bartiromo's Wall St Journal Report.

In the days of NBC Europe Channel and when that closed in the UK and some of its programming got moved to CNBC at the weekends in 1998, there was a few MSNBC programmes on there.
  • Options
    excel99excel99 Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MartS wrote: »
    The only thing I would like to see is more MSNBC re-broadcast from America during the weekends
    I hope you like prison documentaries then. Apart from a few hours in the morning US time and the odd Meet the Press repeat, MSNBC doesn't have any news programmes at the weekend
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the days of NBC Europe Channel and when that closed in the UK and some of its programming got moved to CNBC at the weekends in 1998, there was a few MSNBC programmes on there.

Which shows were they? We didn't get cable til 2002 and I never heard of CNBC until 2005. It would be cool for CNBC to show MSNBC again though.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used to watch lots of NBC Europe and before that when it was NBC Super Channel.

ITN used to provide a very good 8pm bulletin on NBC Super Channel, presented by Katie Haslam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used to watch lots of NBC Europe and before that when it was NBC Super Channel.

ITN used to provide a very good 8pm bulletin on NBC Super Channel, presented by Katie Haslam.

Interesting. I never saw that channel but I've heard a lot about it :( Strangely enough, when I first heard of CNBC I got it mixed up with CNN! I knew it was connected to NBC but I thought it was like CNN :o
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Fox News or CNBC? I'm just back from CNBC watching now :cool: I was watching US Closing Bell.
    Aaaah, Maria Bartiromo (is she still anchoring US Closing Bell?). Which reminds me of a little story, given tomorrow's date.

I have vivid memories of Maria, and of CNBC, on 9/11. I switched it on at about 1:50pm on 11th September 2001 to try and find out why the FTSE had just started to drop (luckily exiting a 'long' trade as a precaution).

Moments later they switched to a live shot of a smoking Twin Tower and nobody knew what the hell was going on. As soon as the 2nd tower was hit, everyone knew what was going on, in an instant, it was like a veil being lifted. And the markets went into panic stricken freefall. Whooosh!!! I could have made a fortune short selling that day but I didn't have the heart to do it, I just sat there watching the TV coverage. It just didn't seem right to trade on it - we were looking at the possibility of anything upto 20,000 deaths for a time.

My vivid memory of Maria occurred a couple of hours later, not long after the towers had collapsed. She was the CNBC's Wall Street 'NYSE trading floor' reporter then and the building had been evacuated. But there was soon so much dust that they thought it was safer inside - people were choking in the dust. CNBC switched back to their live NYSE camera for the always impeccably presented Maria to give a report - she looked shocked, and was completely covered from head to foot (including her face and hands) in that awful dark grey dust and muck that filled the air outside. I will remember that day - and that shocking image of Maria - for the rest of my life. Not to mention the studio presenters who were struggling to keep their composure all afternoon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Aaaah, Maria Bartiromo (is she still anchoring that?).

I have vivid memories of her, and of CNBC, from 9/11. I switched it on at about 1:50pm on 11th September 2001 to try and find out why the FTSE had just started to drop (luckily exiting a 'long' trade as a precaution).

Moments later they switched to a live shot of a smoking Twin Tower and nobody knew what the hell was going on. As soon as the 2nd tower was hit, everyone knew what was going on, in an instant, it was like a veil being lifted. And the markets went into panic stricken freefall. Whooosh!!! I could have made a fortune short selling that day but I didn't have the heart to do it, I just sat there watching the TV coverage. It just didn't seem right to trade on it - we were looking at the possibility of anything upto 20,000 deaths for a time.

My vivid memory of Maria occurred a couple of hours later, not long after the towers had collapsed. She was the CNBC's Wall Street 'NYSE trading floor' reporter then and the building had been evacuated. But there was soon so much dust that they thought it was safer inside - people were choking in the dust. CNBC switched back to their live NYSE camera for the always impeccably presented Maria to give a report - she looked shocked, and was completely covered from head to foot in that awful dark grey dust and muck that filled the air outside. I will remember that day - and that shocking image of Maria - for the rest of my life. Not to mention the studio presenters who were struggling to keep their composure all afternoon.

Good story. What makes it harder is that her birthday's on September 11. Must have been a hard day for her. She's still anchoring Closing Bell, I saw her on it tonight. She's one of my favourite CNBC anchors 'cause she always seems to know what she's talking about and does good interviews.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Good story. What makes it harder is that her birthday's on September 11. Must have been a hard day for her. She's still anchoring Closing Bell, I saw her on it tonight. She's one of my favourite CNBC anchors 'cause she always seems to know what she's talking about and does good interviews.

I didn't realise that. After all this time, I never knew it! No wonder Maria was shell-shocked, and oh how the memory of those terrible events must come flooding back to her on every birthday since. :(

I liked her then (before 9/11) and of course, that was reinforced by her determination to continue come what may, on that awful day. She's a legend in her own lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.