How old is too old to go on holiday with your parents?

Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm 18, and I know that sounds young but I'm just starting to feel a bit old to keep going on holiday with my family. Which is weird, because I know I'm still really young. Most people I know either go on holiday with their friends to those cheap places in Spain, or if they are more of the 'middle-class' they'll go interrailing >.> Personally. I dont have much friends, so I dont have much of a choice >.> But these days my parents (I know this sounds reaaally ungrateful!!) keep picking really boring places to go on holiday, and I dont know if I should stop going with them. But I'm too scared to go to a place on holiday where I really want to go by myself. Right, so this has gone onto a bit of ramble hasnt it? >.> So I was just wondering when you stopped going on holiday with your parents. Or if you just think a holiday is free then you may as well take it? Or just your general view on the matter :D

Comments

• gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't stay on your own, because you will have a party and trash the house. So you have to come with us, Harper.

When you leave home, you can do what you like.

I think those is the rules.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    I'm 18, and I know that sounds young but I'm just starting to feel a bit old to keep going on holiday with my family. Which is weird, because I know I'm still really young. Most people I know either go on holiday with their friends to those cheap places in Spain, or if they are more of the 'middle-class' they'll go interrailing >.> Personally. I dont have much friends, so I dont have much of a choice >.> But these days my parents (I know this sounds reaaally ungrateful!!) keep picking really boring places to go on holiday, and I dont know if I should stop going with them. But I'm too scared to go to a place on holiday where I really want to go by myself. Right, so this has gone onto a bit of ramble hasnt it? >.> So I was just wondering when you stopped going on holiday with your parents. Or if you just think a holiday is free then you may as well take it? Or just your general view on the matter :D

im mid 20s and went last year, we go every year as a family, all 12+ of us hit benni and have done for the past 20 years? i dont live with them anymore but its nice if you can afford it to go with your family if you get on.
    i will be going this year too but my bloke will be accompanying me :)
  • MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped going on holiday with my parents when I was 17 because I thought I was too old and I didn't want to leave my then boyfriend. Now I'm 31 and am planning a holiday with them this year! I've sort of gone in a circle if that makes sense, from them cramping my style to looking forward to myself and my child having a week away with them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still went on hoilday with my family untill I met my hubby ( at the age of 22). And even then me and my hubby has been on hoilday with them from time to time. As it was a nice way to spend time with the family. But I also had hoildays with my friends as well. So Yes its ok to go it you like spending time with them. imo
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly, at 16 I wouldnt have gone on holiday with my parents, but if you are not earning, then a holiday in whatever form is welcome.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't you fancy a family holiday at Butlin's then? :D
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on the age gap of your parents tbh.

If it's like 16 years difference then at 18 it's probably ok.

But if there's 30-40 years difference i'd be pushing them out the door and getting the party started :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Frankly, at 16 I wouldnt have gone on holiday with my parents, but if you are not earning, then a holiday in whatever form is welcome.

Agreed !

I have three very grown-up Sons and I wouldnt have trusted any of the lil $hit$ ( under 25 ) alone at home whilst I was away :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I no longer go on holiday with my parents now I've started uni. Going to Asia on my own this year to teach.
  • YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But by then, it's a logistical nightmare lugging those two coffins around the place. Believe me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YaffiYuk wrote: »

But by then, it's a logistical nightmare lugging those two coffins around the place. Believe me.

Ha Ha Ha :D
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a good kid. I dont party when theyre not around or anything. Id rather spend time with people their age then people my own age, as most people my own age dont tend to have brains.
  • IluvminiskinsIluvminiskins Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go for it OP!! :)

I say you are never too old to spend time with your parents, don't look at it from a financial point of view and just have a good time!! x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a good kid. I dont party when theyre not around or anything. Id rather spend time with people their age THAN people my own age, as most people my own age dont tend to have brains.

Oh dear

;)
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My niece has just turned 14 (two days ago) and she refuses point blank to go on holiday with her parents.

Looks like she'll have to go though, because there is no one around to look after her for two weeks. But she really, really doesn't want to go. She thinks she's 'too old!'. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll keep on going on holiday with my parents untill they stop paying for the buggers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member

You joke but after my dad was vremated my brother put his urn in the boot of his car. It stayed there for almost three years forgotten about. After his death my dad travelled more then he did when he was alive and covered most of the country.
  • YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You joke but after my dad was vremated my brother put his urn in the boot of his car. It stayed there for almost three years forgotten about. After his death my dad travelled more then he did when he was alive and covered most of the country.

Well, it was a bloody good job he was in an urn then! Did you take any pics?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Well, it was a bloody good job he was in an urn then! Did you take any pics?

Nope. lol
    I'm not even sure what happened to him. I assume he didn't get sold on when my brother sold the car.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    18, after that it becomes a waste of money until you have children of your own.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We stopped taking the kids on holiday once they were 18 - they probably would have enjoyed a couple of weeks in the sun for free but money is tight. My youngest daughter is 16, 17 this summer, and she's going on her first independent holiday in August. The other 3 have all travelled independently since 17 - 18.

It would be nice in a few years, if we can afford it, to book a villa somewhere, and have a big family holiday with the children and their partners, though, but it's not something I'd want to do every year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a good kid. I dont party when theyre not around or anything. Id rather spend time with people their age then people my own age, as most people my own age dont tend to have brains.

Just go with them, if you get on with them.

My mum died 20 years ago, and I can't tell you how much I'd give for the chance to go on holiday with her now.

There are no age rules about stuff like this. Just go .. have fun.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where do your parents go on holiday OP? Are the holidays in the UK?
  • GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think as long as you enjoy their company and they enjoy yours,go for it! I'd have loved to go on a holiday with my parents but never had a single one. They waited until I'd left home then splashed out on holidays all over Europe.
  • Arthur.CrumbleArthur.Crumble Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never. Cherish your parents as that is who you are and will be.