Options

Older generation are takers and not contributors

Comments

• Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Big difference between GPs and MPs don't you think?

Yes, one is a doctor, one is a member of Parliament. Not sure what your point is though. They both do extremely important jobs that are well rewarded, and rightly so IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    Or maybe an average of 69 hours per week doing constituency and parliamentary work, plus a lot of travel.

The majority of politicians are self-serving, power hungry, ingratious, greedy, cheating, back stabbing, purile halfwits.

Hard working? maybe but that just means they get through more of all the above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think that most politicians do originally go into politics because they think they can change things and make a difference. Many of them are lawyers and other professionals who could get far, far more money working in theirr profession without the scrutiny and bad reputation that being an MP carries with it.

But for a lot of them - and not all - something happens when they arrive in Westminster which seems to corrupt and twist their original aims.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should make people work until they are 80 and do away with the free bus passes and heating allowance.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Yes, one is a doctor, one is a member of Parliament. Not sure what your point is though. They both do extremely important jobs that are well rewarded, and rightly so IMO.

Casual, you are David Cameron, I claim my £5.. Doctors do a very important job, MP's are needed, but there are far too many and paid far too much for sitting around coming up with stupid ideas and telling us how to live our lives.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You class the work of a GP of equal importance to an MP? One works for their money imho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shads62 wrote: »
    The majority of politicians are self-serving, power hungry, ingratious, greedy, cheating, back stabbing, purile halfwits.

Hard working? maybe but that just makes get through more of all the above.

Ok then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    MPs actually work pretty hard and put in a lot more hours than the average worker.

Being an MP is not compulsory.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Shads62 wrote: »

Hard working? maybe but that just makes get through more of all the above.

We need a Like button.. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Casual, you are David Cameron, I claim my £5.. Doctors do a very important job, MP's are needed, but there are far too many and paid far too much for sitting around coming up with stupid ideas and telling us how to live our lives.

I have stated before that I would never vote Tory. Perhaps there are too many MPs, it's not something I've thought about before. But I think they deserve their salaries.
    francie wrote: »
    You class the work of a GP of equal importance to an MP? One works for their money imho.

I'm not sure it's possible to quantify exactly. But they are both extremely important for our society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being an MP is not compulsory.

Okay... and?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    onefineday wrote: »
    [BBC]

This would be things like tuition fees, house prices, benefit cuts and other austerity measures targeting the young. The older generation are sitting on a huge store of assets they built up during the good times. The pension spend is enormous and the current working population are being further indebted by its cost.

So, why aren't you angry about it?

'Prof James Sefton, of Imperial College, London, a former adviser to the Treasury, told the committee young people were effectively subsidising the older generation - and he could not understand why they were not protesting about it'.

Wow hasn't that always been the way through generations?

What a dumb ass :rolleyes:
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Prof James Sefton, of Imperial College, London, a former adviser to the Treasury, told the committee young people were effectively subsidising the older generation - and he could not understand why they were not protesting about it'.

Wow hasn't that always been the way through generations?

What a dumb ass :rolleyes:

Exactly we have all paid for our parents and grandparents since the system was set up the theory we pay for ourselves is rubbish we need the next generation to do their bit like we did.
    Why it is changing I don't know I know there are more pensioners now but changing the rules isn't the way forward.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have stated before that I would never vote Tory. Perhaps there are too many MPs, it's not something I've thought about before. But I think they deserve their salaries.

I'm not sure it's possible to quantify exactly. But they are both extremely important for our society.

if you say so, although I know who I have respect for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay... and?

What do you mean 'and'?

They chose to be one and the majority employ secretaries anyway so don't give me the they work hard bull, and besides a lot of them do other work outside parliament for a nice little earner, they should quit them.

Why are you defending them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Exactly we have all paid for our parents and grandparents since the system was set up the theory we pay for ourselves is rubbish we need the next generation to do their bit like we did.
    Why it is changing I don't know I know there are more pensioners now but changing the rules isn't the way forward.

IMO he's trying to set the young against the older generation much like this lot have set working people against benefit claimants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They chose to be one

So what?
    and the majority employ secretaries anyway

What does this tell you about their workload?
    a lot of them do other work outside parliament for a nice little earner

So what?
    Why are you defending them?

Because although I dislike quite a few of them, I recognise that they work hard and do a very important job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Society is being set up ever more to pitch one individual against another. We've had class war and now we are being encouraged to view the generations below and above us as nuisances, drains on resources and competitors for jobs.

What ever happened to the sense of responsibility for each other, of co-operation, of gratitude for lives lived in service of others, of joining together in the continuing work of building and bettering our society?

It's all about what we can get now. Grab it while you can and hold onto it, or someone will try to take it away from you. At this rate, we'll be fighting in the streets for the last loaf of bread and sending those who can't cope any more to the euthanasia clinics.

Anyone care for a chunk of Soylent Green?

The politics of fear, distrust and contempt, driving us all quietly insane.
  • Options
    Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO he's trying to set the young against the older generation much like this lot have set working people against benefit claimants.
    Youtoo? wrote: »
    Society is being set up ever more to pitch one individual against another. We've had class war and now we are being encouraged to view the generations below and above us as nuisances, drains on resources and competitors for jobs.

What ever happened to the sense of responsibility for each other, of co-operation, of gratitude for lives lived in service of others, of joining together in the continuing work of building and bettering our society?

It's all about what we can get now. Grab it while you can and hold onto it, or someone will try to take it away from you. At this rate, we'll be fighting in the streets for the last loaf of bread and sending those who can't cope any more to the euthanasia clinics.

Finally, two people who actually know what this is really about. I mentioned it on the first page and anyone with a brain can see this is the main plan.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MPs actually work pretty hard and put in a lot more hours than the average worker.

But their expenses are fantatstic.
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While ever we have a class of people (from whatever, and any, background) who think it is right and proper to farm other human-beings for personal profit and wealth we will have these issues. This has always been the modus operandum of the tories - to create a huge number of unemployed (greatly reducing the value of the individual) and use their press machine to demonise them. What's astonishing, and the only thing to their credit, is their skill at being voted back in again and again.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youtoo? wrote: »

Excellent post.:D
    I too have noticed that whenever the government is about to attack a specific group financially, they flood the newpapers wth negative stories about the next victims in an effort to manipulate our views aboutit.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is now time for the public to fight back. I can see more riots happening and perhaps even something close to a scale of the Eastern European revolutions of the late 80s.

The Toiries are unfit to govern. So out of touch and hell-bent on destroying the country. Cameron and Osborne should be tried at the Hague for genocide.

The guy proposing this is not a Tory. Always be sure of your facts before posting otherwise it gives the impression that you are not well informed.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    Lord Bichard, the ex-permanent secretary in the Department of Education and former chief of the Benefits Agency, said the elderly should get rewards and fines to make sure they are taking a more active part in their communities.

“Older people who are not very old could be making a very useful contribution to civil society if they were given some incentive or recognition for doing so.

“We’re prepared to say to people if you’re not looking for work, you don’t get a benefit. If you’re old and you’re not contributing in some way, maybe there should be some penalty attached to that. These debates never seem to take place.

“Are we using all the incentives at our disposal to encourage older people not just to be a negative burden on the state but actually be a positive part of society?”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9628554/Older-generation-takers-not-contributors-to-public-purse.html
    And here's me thinking old people had paid 40 years of NI contributions to pay for their pensions.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    The guy proposing this is not a Tory. Always be sure of your facts before posting otherwise it gives the impression that you are not well informed.

Indeed labour started this by increasing the retirement age.