Options

Ever Been Identified on DS Forums...?!!

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
Not sure I've picked the correct title here but what I mean is this:

Say you're writing up a post looking for some advice or you are posting your thoughts about a particular person - has that person (obviously, without your knowledge) then read your post (but in the guise of a fellow DS Forums user) and said - OI, ITS ME - STOP WRITING ABOUT ME...!!!!

Does that make any sense...!?!?!? Oh - I know what I mean.....!!!! :blush::blush:

Comments

• Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »

Say you're writing up a post looking for some advice or you are posting your thoughts about a particular person - has that person (obviously, without your knowledge) then read your post (but in the guise of a fellow DS Forums user) and said - OI, ITS ME - STOP WRITING ABOUT ME...!!!!

Does that make any sense...!?!?!? Oh - I know what I mean.....!!!! :blush::blush:
    No.

How would you know that 'that person' had read your post if they did so 'obviously, without your knowledge?'
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    No, I always dress at Hitler when I post on here.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol no, never. I'm too unique. :cool:

Has someone written a post which you think is about you?! Go on then, share it.

I hope it's nothing sad like, "I'm cheating on my husband, I might be pregnant - whose baby is it?"
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    lol no, never. I'm too unique. :cool:

Has someone written a post which you think is about you?! Go on then, share it.

I hope it's nothing sad like, "I'm cheating on my husband, I might be pregnant - whose baby is it?"

*chants* Jerry...Jerry...Jerry...
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, people often say "it's that idiot again"
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can circumvent that by bitching about them on another forum. Although I'm fairly sure I have been caught in the act a few times.

I recognised one of my (real life) friends on here, though, once. Although I PM'd him. Didn't give a shout out on a thread. ;o)

And I'm on another forum when I pissed off some ladies who took something rude I said a bit personal, on a board where their proud boast was 'nothing is personal', one of them creepily suggested she had spotted me on "another forum on the internet" (must have meant DS) and got the others to post--stalk me here, presumably, which freaked the bejaybus out of me. There are some creepy folk about.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    It did happen here in advice I a friendship problems thread but I can't remember specifics
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oi Dean!
    Get back to work!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    No.

How would you know that 'that person' had read your post if they did so 'obviously, without your knowledge?'

Exactly. People on forums are completely anonymous to other posters. As long as no names are mentioned, how would the person you're talking about know that it was you? No faces to see. No names to know. No addresses to know. There's no way of knowing who anyone is on here.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Well I think I've recognised another poster here who posts on a forum I own. Just something about the way they were posting on a particular subject the other day and then noticing their location is very close to the member I think it might be has made me fairly certain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Exactly. People on forums are completely anonymous to other posters. As long as no names are mentioned, how would the person you're talking about know that it was you? No faces to see. No names to know. No addresses to know. There's no way of knowing who anyone is on here.

....well not necessarily!

You can Google DS usernames to see if there is a trail which identifies the person behind the user name!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    Oi Dean!
    Get back to work!

.....sorry boss!!
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can Google DS usernames to see if there is a trail which identifies the person behind the user name!

Eh? How's that then? Unless said person uses the same username elsewhere, which is a bit daft if they don't want to be identified...
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just Googled my username and it brought up a whole page of results about people who are nothing to do with me... Except for the link to my DS profile.

Anyone trying to identify me would be better off just looking me up on Twitter :p

Needless to say, me providing the link to my Twitter account and posting a picture in the "post a picture of yourself" thread is a pretty strong indicator that I'm not bothered about being identified on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »

Needless to say, me providing the link to my Twitter account and posting a picture in the "post a picture of yourself" thread is a pretty strong indicator that I'm not bothered about being identified on here.

...to be honest - my profile is exactly the same! Its also linked to my Twitter feed which obviously shows who I am!! Not bothered as I don't have any skeletons in my closet.....!!!
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have nothing to do with the game Castle Crashers, and I use a different user name on other forums.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I've not been identified.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like people linking to images hosted on their Photobucket account which they registered under their real-name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will be useless unless the person behind the username has gave out identifiable information on another forum. I would think only a small minority would have done this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Like people linking to images hosted on their Photobucket account which they registered under their real-name.

Yep. Again, only a very small minority would likely have done this. I'd say about 90% of internet users who've signed up to anything that doesn't require their real name to be shown put in a username.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After posting in the soap section, someone tracked me down on Twitter :eek:

I don't mind though :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the past if I've had anything to say about a forum member I've said to them directly via PM, so the situation in the OP has until now never arisen for me.

On a slightly different note, a forum member told me a few months ago that they had managed to find me on facebook, so therefore they know my real name and what I look like etc. I have no idea if that's true or not but it quite possibly is. Just hope they aren't some kind of deranged killer - if anything happens to me then I hope they are made prime suspect! :o:D

They'll probably read my post now, and like in the OP, will know full well it's them I'm talking about. :D
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I registered I was new to this sort of forum, so did not try too hard to make myself completely anonymous. However, I do keep that in mind when posting, so if I wanted to post something very controversial I would probably restrain myself.

If I thought that no-one would ever work out who I was I might feel that I had greater freedom to be extreme - certainly this seems to be the approach of some members who write some very weird stuff. :o
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

... or they can click on a Twitter link.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, a forum member told me a few months ago that they had managed to find me on facebook, so therefore they know my real name and what I look like etc. I have no idea if that's true or not but it quite possibly is.

How? :o

And also, that's creepy as hell.