Options

Babies on planes

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,388
    Forum Member
    ok... to fly, or not to fly... jeez

its almost as heated a debate as breast or bottle, or cloth or disposable....

Not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    Did I say anywhere in my post that you shouldnt comment?

I actually said you should just ignore it.

And I think you'll find that at the end of my post I agreed with you.

I have kids and I'm pretty good at ignoring but combined with the lack of sleep (for myself) and the cramped conditions by the end of the flight that was easier said than done!
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fab cesc wrote: »
    Flights between america and england are often the worst for having a screaming baby near you. I went around the world this year (12 flights) and 11 flights were fine but on the one between here and the usa i had a screaming kid infront, behind and on the left of me :(

That's a very large child... ;)
  • Options
    LovetatsLovetats Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicibabes wrote: »
    Im surprised you didnt have a load of prudes complain about your child breastfeeding!!:p

:D I've never had anyone complain - maybe folk just like my boobs! :p
    I'm not a great fan of screaming babies either, but I have to say, I am 26, and when a travelling on a plane and its startes its descent I am in absolute agony! It honestly feels like my head is going to explode, so I can imagine it must be even more horrendous for babies. Like someone else said, I think I am going to avoid travelling as much as possible once I have kids!

If it's awful for surrounding people, it's a zillion times worse for the parents. Honestly - your baby's cries are genetically engineered to make you sweat so that you DO something to stop it. Hence me whipping out my mummy milkies at the first whimper....

Travelling with babies is fine so long as you realise that it's going to be a long haul - even if you're nipping down the road for a bag of sugar. Parenthood is tough. End of. (But lovely!)
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    Such an appropriate username you have.

I thank ye - I didn't realise you were Scottish :):eek:.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Ive noticed that babies and young children start to cry and scream when the plane comes into land. I suppose its because their ears are hurting. Not a lot you can do about it though, I'd imagine the poor parents felt embarrased and frustrated themselves.

Cant you get medicine that helps babies and children sleep on the plane? Its some kind of sedative available on prescription.

Yes. It's called gin. You don't need a prescription, all off-licences sell it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant you get medicine that helps babies and children sleep on the plane? Its some kind of sedative available on prescription.

A shot of brandy from the drinks trolley also does the trick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    Nothing that a dummy dipped in whisky won't solve! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    Yes. It's called gin. You don't need a prescription, all off-licences sell it.
    LostFool wrote: »
    A shot of brandy from the drinks trolley also does the trick.
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    Nothing that a dummy dipped in whisky won't solve! :D

Great minds think the same!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its impossible to ignore a screaming baby though. Its annoying, especially when you are trying to relax or sleep.

Unfortunatly many parents seem to think the world revolves around them and their children these days. A young baby should not be on a long haul flight? Why on earth would anyone take a five month old baby to LA?:confused:

My OH and his ex-wife had to bring a 12 week baby back from Hong Kong once. But that was because she had been born there and it wasn't really very practical to leave her behind when they came home!!! ;)

One never can tell what circumstances might be entailed when people travel with very young children!! :)
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    krytenk wrote: »
    That's a very large child... ;)

:D:D Well we were flying from america :p
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fab cesc wrote: »
    :D:D Well we were flying from america :p

*giggle*
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once travelled with a client on Lufthansa. A woman in front of us had a baby and proceeded to breast feed it. A moment later the baby's face appeared between the headrests, it belched and projectile vomited over my client, all down his shirt, tie and jacket. The whole plane stank. The mother ignored it entirely and the stewardess simply said KoojyKoojyKoo or whatever Germans say to babies! My client was well and truly pi**ed off and I was in hysterics and trying not to show it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    I once travelled with a client on Lufthansa. A woman in front of us had a baby and proceeded to breast feed it. A moment later the baby's face appeared between the headrests, it belched and projectile vomited over my client, all down his shirt, tie and jacket. The whole plane stank. The mother ignored it entirely and the stewardess simply said KoojyKoojyKoo or whatever Germans say to babies! My client was well and truly pi**ed off and I was in hysterics and trying not to show it.

He or she is a baby not an it!!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    Great minds think the same!

or fools never differ :D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think airlines should have designated long haul flights where babies are allowed. All other long haul flights babies are not allowed. This way people without kids have a choice. People with kids can travel on a flight, and not be guilty if the baby acts up, as that particular flight allows babies. Problem solved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Personally, I'd prefer all children up to the age of 7 not be allowed on flights over 5 hours. But look at teenagers, most of them just watch the film or listen to music. They are setting a prime example for once!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmjidS wrote: »
    I think airlines should have designated long haul flights where babies are allowed. All other long haul flights babies are not allowed. This way people without kids have a choice. People with kids can travel on a flight, and not be guilty if the baby acts up, as that particular flight allows babies. Problem solved.

There is a special place in hell reserved for those who take their kids in business class on long-haul flights.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I want to sit next to an incoherent screaming wreck who pisses and shits themselves throughout the journey, I'd book through Saga.
  • Options
    Connie BeachampConnie Beachamp Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    If I want to sit next to an incoherent screaming wreck who pisses and shits themselves throughout the journey, I'd book through Saga.

or book on easyjet/ryanair :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd prefer all children up to the age of 7 not be allowed on flights over 5 hours. But look at teenagers, most of them just watch the film or listen to music. They are setting a prime example for once!

Have to concur.

The worst are noisy toddlers just learing to talk.

I once sat opposite a (I'm guessing) 2 year-old on a 90 minute flight to Germany, and it was ...

"dada-dada-gada-gada - hahahahahaha - dada-dada-gada-gada - hahahahahaha"

.... at high volume the whole way.

The mother just smiled adoringly at it and cooed occasionally - made no attempt to shut it up.

Nobody (myself included) said anything, probably out of not wanting to be seen as "intolerant" by their fellow passengers.

It nearly drove me insane (and I doubt that I was only one).

Had it been a long haul flight, I'd have probably been tempted to open the emergency exit and take my chances with the -55°C cold outside and the 30,000-foot plummet to earth - it was that bad.

As it was, I just took what meager refuge was available behind my newspaper and counted the minutes to touchdown.

- Eric
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flaxseed wrote: »
    He or she is a baby not an it!!!! :D

I didn't get that close to he/she/it - thank goodness!:D
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    the stewardess simply said KoojyKoojyKoo or whatever Germans say to babies..

:cry::D

Don't know why but that really tickled me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a special place in hell reserved for those who take their kids in business class on long-haul flights.

If a baby was on a long haul flight I was on, I rather it was in business class. At least I would get some peace and quite. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,033
    Forum Member

Our worst flight was 13 hours London to Cape Town.
    A group of 13 year old schoolboys on a football trip!

It was a nighmare. They continually kicked the backs of passenger's seats and pestered the cabin crew with constant demands for extra pillows, blankets etc. Their teachers were quite a few rows behind them enjoying watching films and having a few alcoholic beverages :mad:

I was so stressed out I could've rung their bliddy necks!
  • Options
    LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Have to concur.

The worst are noisy toddlers just learing to talk.

I once sat opposite a (I'm guessing) 2 year-old on a 90 minute flight to Germany, and it was ...

"dada-dada-gada-gada - hahahahahaha - dada-dada-gada-gada - hahahahahaha"

.... at high volume the whole way.

The mother just smiled adoringly at it and cooed occasionally - made no attempt to shut it up.

Nobody (myself included) said anything, probably out of not wanting to be seen as "intolerant" by their fellow passengers.

It nearly drove me insane (and I doubt that I was only one).

Had it been a long haul flight, I'd have probably been tempted to open the emergency exit and take my chances with the -55°C cold outside and the 30,000-foot plummet to earth - it was that bad.

As it was, I just took what meager refuge was available behind my newspaper and counted the minutes to touchdown.

- Eric

I feel your pain. I had seven hours of the toddler next to me talking non-stop. I just turned up my mp3 player.