Capacity for new terrestrial TV services available from mid-November

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.a516digital.com/2014/08/capacity-for-new-terrestrial-tv.html

Thanks to a516 for posting this interesting information on your site.

So what channels would you like on freeview.

CBS might be interested.

Comments

• eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The announcement only references multiplexes C and D (COM5 and COM6). Given COM5 recently expanded to 14 streams thanks to encoder improvments, I would hazard a guess that the slots on offer are on COM6 - the vacant 13th stream (ex-BBC 302) and a new 14th stream.

Then again, bitrates confuse me, so I have no clue what the null packets are.
  • PixelzPixelz Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    AIUI -- In MPEG encoding, null packets carry nothing but redundant data which is ignored by the receiver. They are necessary to maintain a constant bit rate with a variable payload. So the more null packets that are being transmitted, the more spare bandwidth is available for real data.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    So what channels would you like on freeview.
    It might not be Freeview content:
    We will consider proposals for either Free to Air (FTA) or Conditional Access (CA) content.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    No mention of whether this will be HD channels or SD.

hopefully the Free to Air HD bouquet will expand.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    No mention of whether this will be HD channels or SD.

hopefully the Free to Air HD bouquet will expand.
    According to A516's site "the slots are suitable for standard definition TV services".
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't really mind a second BBC Red Button channel as it would be useful during the Snooker.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Perhaps this is an opportunity for Scripps' Travel Channel to go full time now?

At least there won't be any tat shopping channels from sit-up Ltd going for this new space not least because they've gone bust.
  • Martyn1Martyn1 Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if one of these 'new' slots will be used by quest?

I suspect quest will be kicked off the ITV owned SDN mux in favor of ITVBE, which needs a stream from somewhere?...and lets face it, ITV wont wanna buy space on another mux for ITVBE, when they could use there own SDN mux?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Martyn1 wrote: »
    I wonder if one of these 'new' slots will be used by quest?

I suspect quest will be kicked off the ITV owned SDN mux in favor of ITVBE, which needs a stream from somewhere?...and lets face it, ITV wont wanna buy space on another mux for ITVBE, when they could use there own SDN mux?

They already have the Quest+1 slot, which I speculated a while back they might have obtained to ensure they had somewhere to put Quest when they got kicked off SDN.

But then they might be interested in keeping Quest+1 going too if it has helped their ratings (I have no idea whether it has or not!).

I'd expect a placeholder for ITVBe to be added next week so it appears as part of the retune. We'll know for sure which mux it is going on then!
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait to see what else happens on Wednesday.
  • philipianjonesphilipianjones Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    if you want CBS action then email them like I did, maybe if lots of us ask for it they may take a slot?
  • MidZoneMidZone Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    CBS Action added to Channel 90 as of today.
  • JamesArnistonJamesArniston Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I always thought the Horror Channel would be the next to make an appearance on Freeview.

It's free on Sky and is a really good channel.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This new capacity is in addition to the newest changes today - Arqiva still promoting the mid-November capacity on their Twitter (link).

No idea where it's coming from - the tweet suggests it's COM5/6. :confused: TruTV +1 taking unknown capacity on COM5 (something must be going part-time - I can't see a 15th stream being added) and CBS Action presumably taking the vacant slot on COM6.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    This new capacity is in addition to the newest changes today - Arqiva still promoting the mid-November capacity on their Twitter (link).

No idea where it's coming from - the tweet suggests it's COM5/6. :confused: TruTV +1 taking unknown capacity on COM5 (something must be going part-time - I can't see a 15th stream being added) and CBS Action presumably taking the vacant slot on COM6.

Is it too early for placeholders of services launching in November to be added? I wonder if some channels contracts expire at the end of October and TruTV +1 and CBS Action have already agreed deals for when they become available?
  • epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps this is an opportunity for Scripps' Travel Channel to go full time now?

Although they don't seem to have taken the opportunity to take up any spare capacity available to date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eladkse wrote: »
    I can't see a 15th stream being added

I wouldn't bet on it. :D
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will True Movies ever appear on Freeview?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Will True Movies ever appear on Freeview?

As Sony Pictures Television have recently purchased CSC Media Group, they may be looking at streamlining their bouquet of channels. They could take this opportunity to gain an extra channel on Freeview but, under the circumstances, it is probably too early to predict what they would choose to add.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait to see what else happens on Wednesday.

Well most of it happen yesterday.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well most of it happen yesterday.
    No it didn't, we know there are loads of changes happening on Wednesday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    No it didn't, we know there are loads of changes happening on Wednesday.

Oh ok i have not seen it posted apart from yesterday that CBS Action & TruTV +1 are on the freeview EPG.

That why i said most.
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that Eurosport or a version of the international channel could go FTA. It seems the owners now are placing sport on Quest so maybe could go full time with some version of the channel like they have FTA in Germany?
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over on Cable Forum, Media Boy has some thoughts about where the capacity could be coming from:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35725033-post1645.html
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Is it too early for placeholders of services launching in November to be added?

When TBN are already running a promo loop saying "launching January 2015", then obviously not.